User Tag List

Page 39 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 8636

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's partly what annoys me. I see them coming and still fucking jump.

Doom 3 was a fucking bitch for that.

"Oh. Look. A cupboard. I wonder what could possibly happen the moment I walk past it?"
    *jumps anyway*
    *hates self*

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F.E.A.R was the worst for me.

Stunned that I didn't shit myself.

I'd only play it with my cousin next to me (who didn't even want to touch the controller) in the middle of the day.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still stand by F.E.A.R being one of the top three SP FPS games of all time. Fucking incredible.

I'll admit the ladder scare got me. There's one in 2 as well where you go down some random alley, pick an item (gun or health can't remember) up, turn around and something is all of a sudden there. Another that got my heart rate going.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F.E.A.R. was great. The AI would knock over shelving for cover and then climb under it. Because it could do that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ladder scare in FEAR was a belter.

Man-Bat in Arkham Knight got me a peach as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the spiders appeared to chase you in Uncharted I genuinely had to put the game on the shelf for months until I mustered up the bravery to get through that bit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Honestly its not that scary. I can handle them fine (bar PT fuck PT), but it just has the usual ridiculous jump scares which you can telegraph coming anyway (music going ominous, it going dark etc).
    It's a shame the Silent Hill game PT was supposed to preview never materialised. That was supremely bizarre, scary stuff.

I still stand by F.E.A.R being one of the top three SP FPS games of all time. Fucking incredible.

I'll admit the ladder scare got me. There's one in 2 as well where you go down some random alley, pick an item (gun or health can't remember) up, turn around and something is all of a sudden there. Another that got my heart rate going.
    I think I played through F.E.A.R about four or five times back in the day and the ladder scare got me every time. There were just enough of those awkward little catwalk to ladder parts that I could never remember exactly which one had that little bitch scampering at me, so I was on edge every time and still shat my pants when she finally turned up. Only got me at the bottom the first time though.

Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    When the spiders appeared to chase you in Uncharted I genuinely had to put the game on the shelf for months until I mustered up the bravery to get through that bit.
    I've been playing Uncharted 4 lately and with three chapters to go there's been nothing like that level of departure from the norm. It's probably the most repetitive thing I've ever played, and I'm only pushing through because it looks so good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this was the third one, in the basement of a castle or something like that. They come back later in a dream sequence but I was over it by then. The fourth one is the most realistic, at least in sense of the enemies you encounter rather than the whole wise-cracking acrobat murderer thing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

SGDQ is two weeks away.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they'll clue in the announcer for the Banjo Kazooie run this time around.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I watch an 'awkward moments' compilation I always wonder if I'm actually going to see a cry for help.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried 4 hours of XCom 2 after never playing an Xcom, or this style of game before. Just cleared 21gig off my hard drive.

I'm sure its a wonderful game within the genre but all it did was piss me off. My own soldiers missing a guy from one or two feet fucking repeatedly, another deciding that rather than go round a gate which would've taken two extra steps, he'll kick the fucking thing open and alert the enemy. AI barely missing any of their shots while my guys are fully incompetent.

I'm all for challenge but not when seemingly so much is down to the luck of your guys deciding to actually fucking do something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uncharted 4 has committed the cardinal sin of introducing a completely new, one off game mechanic for a final boss battle. What a load of extremely pretty shit that was.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly my thoughts. Like all Naughty Dog games, I can appreciate the graphics and the world building, even their stories to some extent, but the actual gameplay they implement into them is absolute arse.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried 4 hours of XCom 2 after never playing an Xcom, or this style of game before. Just cleared 21gig off my hard drive.

I'm sure its a wonderful game within the genre but all it did was piss me off. My own soldiers missing a guy from one or two feet fucking repeatedly, another deciding that rather than go round a gate which would've taken two extra steps, he'll kick the fucking thing open and alert the enemy. AI barely missing any of their shots while my guys are fully incompetent.

I'm all for challenge but not when seemingly so much is down to the luck of your guys deciding to actually fucking do something.
    I didn't like how enemies spawn, it basically means turtling is only really viable strategy. The original did it much more sensibly.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parts of my new build have arrived. Still waiting for some.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I didn't like how enemies spawn, it basically means turtling is only really viable strategy. The original did it much more sensibly.
    You have 8 turns to hack the objective. Okay, so I've gotta push quick, so I do. Five turns left, and I'm getting close, so I push a guy (I'm still in concealment) on a double turn move, only to see the fog of war lift and three enemies all within six tiles of me. My other guys are too far back for me to do one movement turn and open fire, and the guy I've pushed on is gonna get fucking raped by the insane AI accuracy.

Top, top fun.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was admittedly playing it a number of years after release but I got about a third of the way through the first Uncharted and just couldn't summon the will to carry on.

Meanwhile I've been cracking on with KZR (where I still don't have a fucking clue what's going on) and Owlboy (which is completely splendid.)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that had me raging about The Last of Us was it was a game that pushed boundaries on the PS3 with the tech, the story, the way it unfolded, and they tacked on 10 year old gunplay, stock videogame tropes (here grab that dumper/ladder so we can climb this conveniently placed wall) and boring ass stealth sections. Walking into an area and seeing a ton of waist high walls I wonder if there'll be a fight here hhmm. I'd have loved it if it'd been a walking sim, I ended up hating it so so much.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played about an hour of the original Uncharted and hadn't touched the series since then, so the problems I'm moaning about might be old news to anyone who's played the whole lot.

The Last of Us varied the gameplay just enough that the story really shone through and kept me going for the duration. Uncharted 4 is literally the same thing the whole time with the exception of three puzzle sections, two of which are either a version of or involve heavy use of the same gameplay mechanics the rest of the game uses, and that jeep bit from all the adverts. Then it suddenly introduces a new mechanic for the final boss, which consequently could come from a completely different game and feel precisely as relevant.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://dr-whoop.itch.io/tracks

A Brio video game!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love both Last of Us and Uncharted (bar 3 which was a dip in form) but I'm the same when you turn a corner and see the conveniently placed cover positions. It's the same kind of dread I'd get on games where you know you're getting near a boss battle.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every rpg in existence does a similar thing.

Hmm, giant bronze statues in the bad guys lair? I'm sure we won't be fighting them.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the case of the FPS it's the conveniently-placed MASSIVE AMMO STASH.

Of course I've always been frugal with the cool weapons anyway and usually don't bother in said boss fight too.

What does cool weapons have that strafing around scenery doesn't?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hmmm... this fog wall looks like a boss area. I haven't even found the shortcut."

Although I was one of the silly sods who thought the PAL key in Metal Gear Solid might actually work.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I had a go at Playstation VR tonight. Fuck me.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its fucking amazing innit. Just a shame there's fuck all of worth on it bar Resi 7, the experiences are fantastic but they're all short one offs.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was very impressed.

You can see we're in the early stages of it and that if it takes off it'll improve a lot, but the following ranged from really appealing to blowing me away.

Tried a Bu-Ray through it and it's like having your own private cinema right in front of you.

Played the demo disk stuff, which included a shooting range thing and a deep dive in a cage. The former inspires thoughts of how they could quite easily make a 24 game and the latter feels like you're there so much that I'd actually pay money to experience things like virtual holidays - I mean looking at things like Machu Picchu rather than drinking beer and violating local customs. When the football season ticket stuff takes off it's going to be totes amaze.

But the best thing was Resident Evil 7, which was so good it's hard to describe. The feeling you have when the menu screen appears and morphs into a room that you're in is unlike anything I've ever experienced before and it only got better when a bloke with an axe started chopping at me - I was flinching, holding my arms up to protect myself. The works.

The headset itself is a bit cumbersome and as I said above you can easily see where it could improve, but it's so good out of the box that if the games follow suit (I understand Skyrim's just been announced) then it'd be enough to make me buy a PS4 and VR without even thinking twice tomorrow.

Very very impressed.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving games are where the appeal would be for me. Anything that suits a first person view really, but a proper F1 VR game would be very tempting.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played Project Cars in VR, it's okay but the lack of feedback stops it feeling anything more than a toy.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Skyrim announcement said it was being completely rebuilt from the ground up too, rather than the presumably standard retrofit, so it really ought to be paradigm altering stuff.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the software available matters, if VR is to grow out of the niche interest then the hardware needs to be a lot more practical and accessible.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think the Skyrim announcement said it was being completely rebuilt from the ground up too, rather than the presumably standard retrofit, so it really ought to be paradigm altering stuff.
    It'll be crap like the rest of the AAA stuff has been.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 bosses away from the Bloodborne platinum. It's a bit much but I'm only one trophy away from it. On the plus side, I've become better at parrying.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So who is excited about pong in 4k?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hit a sudden series of pain-in-the-dick boss fights in Owlboy there. Luckily they've bossed it with the checkpointing so failure isn't TOO irritating.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roadblocked by a dog on fire. I can put the damage in but, if he lands two straight hits on me, I'm toast.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard daily work commute in Australia.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Dragon Age 3 yesterday, I'll be interested to see if the criticism is as overblown as it was for the previous game.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found it a bit dull really. Felt like playing an MMO.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Roadblocked by a dog on fire. I can put the damage in but, if he lands two straight hits on me, I'm toast.

That's a small health bar you're rocking, you absolute masochist.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a small health bar you're rocking, you absolute masochist.
    Git gud.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Not my character.
    2. It's the penultimate chalice dungeon which has a gimmick.

Permanently lowers players hit points by 50% while inside the dungeon
    The amounts of physical damage received and heal will be decreased along with the decreased max health, but elemental damage will do normal damage (making keeper of the old lords in layer 1 surprisingly tough, being able to 1 shot players).
    On my character my stamina bar is larger than my health. The first boss was piss. I could just parry him and regain any lost health.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news, I discovered Touching the Skyrim over the weekend and while it starts of with stuff anyone who has played the game will probably have seen before it turns into fucking gold by about episode three.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NEqaMdXHTLDdnI
    If anyone took this recommendation and enjoyed it then you should check out another series on the same channel made by the same guys, Car Boys. It's essentially two guys crashing cars and stuff in BeamNG but it gets really good at the end and actually really beautifully made and edited when you realise what they're doing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracked it, lads.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone took this recommendation and enjoyed it then you should check out another series on the same channel made by the same guys, Car Boys. It's essentially two guys crashing cars and stuff in BeamNG but it gets really good at the end and actually really beautifully made and edited when you realise what they're doing.
    I'm gonna give this a go. I've been watching a lot of Game Grumps recently upon a recommendation from a guy at work. Their Mario Maker series is way more entertaining than watching them repeatedly fail a super-hard level many times in a row really should be.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Doodle Doods but the constant need for them to draw genitals on cartoon characters is starting to grate.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody loving Ronin. It blatantly rips off the excellent Gunpoint, but makes it turn-based and more about action than stealth. It's like Gunpoint knocked up Hotline Miami and then made it turn-based.

Only thing I wish is Devolver put a thing in so that it recorded the fights and then let you play them back at full speed without the turns.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronin does a lot of things right, it's super satisfying when you roll into a room with a plan and slice everyone to bits. I felt the skill progression was a bit stingy, some of the levels have objectives that I didn't see how I was going to complete so I really had to pick upgrades vry carefully.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably just a case of me getting used to things but the level I did just there I'm not sure how I was supposed to do it without setting off the alarm.

A lot of fun though. When you sword-ballet your way through a crowded room it's very satisfying, as you say.

Did you play Gunpoint as well, @Disco?