User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Meaning of Life

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Boydy, do you remember me having a go at you when you decided to go for admin jobs? This is why. You need to realise what you want to do with your life and actually go and fucking do it.

You got into Oxford for fucks sake, you're clearly an intelligent guy and you had an opportunity most would kill for and chucked it, that's fine. Many smarter than you have done. But to chuck it for being a fucking admin assistant in Ireland? For fucks sake. I'd be depressed.
    Chucked it? What are you on about? You make it sound like I dropped out.

I came back here to do a masters. Which I've finished. I applied for PhDs but couldn't get funding. Not that having a PhD would necessarily have led to anything, right @Lewis?

But yeah, I don't know what I really want to do. I'm not sure I'll ever really know though so how do you deal with that?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hammer: That airport job certainly helped for me. When you have to deal with several thousand people per day, it got me more comfortable with things that I would never have done in real life. Talking to strangers is still crippling but at least slightly less so.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Chucked it? What are you on about? You make it sound like I dropped out.

I came back here to do a masters. Which I've finished. I applied for PhDs but couldn't get funding. Not that having a PhD would necessarily have led to anything, right @Lewis?

But yeah, I don't know what I really want to do. I'm not sure I'll ever really know though so how do you deal with that?
    Apologies, I remembered you as having dropped out. Sorry.

History ain't the future mate. (geddit)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool story Phonics

Personally, I like my life right now. I like my career, have settled into a new role doing work I find interesting. I'm comfortable financially and home life is alright. I live in a cool part of the city, have some good mates, some of whom are still not yet burdened by children so we can just hang out, go to gigs and drink beer. I'm old enough where that's as much as I want of an evening out.

I'd like to be fitter and am trying to up the gym frequency. It's hard because my new role is a bigger commute so I'm more tired in the evenings.

My long-term goal is to move abroad (probably to Amsterdam) and ideally work four-days-a-week. I reckon if I can keep my current salary level (relatively) and go there I can make it work. That would be an immensely satisfying thing to achieve.

BTW - this thread is proper pre-Xmas/Seasonal Affective Disorder stuff

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But just for example Boyd, to take your History degree. Do you enjoy watching the news or current affairs programs? They're always looking for researchers which is exactly where something like a history degree where you've practiced citing sources can give you a massive leg up etc. Ireland has massive amounts of public TV/Radio. From doing something like that for RTE you could easily move on to the BBC in Manchester or Cardiff and up from there.

It's not glamorous but at least it's slightly interesting. This is literally 30 seconds of thinking that seems better than fucking admin.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I remembered you as having dropped out. Sorry.

History ain't the future mate. (geddit)
    I did drop out of Queen's way back when I was 18 so maybe you're just mixing the two up.

And very good.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    BTW - this thread is proper pre-Xmas/Seasonal Affective Disorder stuff
    It probably is. Going home from work in the dark is shit and the weather's too crap for me to get out and play golf at the weekends now so I've probably been ruminating more.

But just for example Boyd, to take your History degree. Do you enjoy watching the news or current affairs programs? They're always looking for researchers which is exactly where something like a history degree where you've practiced citing sources can give you a massive leg up etc. Ireland has massive amounts of public TV/Radio.

It's not glamorous but at least it's slightly interesting.
    Where do you find these sort of jobs? I've looked and I can't find any. Isn't that the sort of thing you need to have done unpaid internships for?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Definitely something to put on the CV.

Don't mean to sound like a wanker or anything, but I just don't see the point in trying to shit on everything.
    Is your dad still bullying your mum?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've written a book, mate, so...

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I've written a book, mate, so...
    I was looking to you for back up, not having a dig.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Boydy Find people online through Twitter (producers are best) and ask them for contact details and send them e-mails. 95% will result in them ignoring you but people are always looking for proactive people rather than those who apply through job sites.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But just for example Boyd, to take your History degree. Do you enjoy watching the news or current affairs programs? They're always looking for researchers which is exactly where something like a history degree where you've practiced citing sources can give you a massive leg up etc. Ireland has massive amounts of public TV/Radio. From doing something like that for RTE you could easily move on to the BBC in Manchester or Cardiff and up from there.

It's not glamorous but at least it's slightly interesting. This is literally 30 seconds of thinking that seems better than fucking admin.
    This is actually a really good suggestion.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking to you for back up, not having a dig.
    I know. I sort of veer between thinking it was pointless and not, but finding the worth in it tends to come from the personal development aspects of moving and doing it rather than the thing itself.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    This is actually a really good suggestion.
    Yet another example of admin backslapping. #MediaConspiracy

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main advice for those who are a younger, a bit aimless and not sure as to what they want to do, would be to get a solid understanding of technology. You can guarantee that nearly all jobs in any capacity will rely on it to some extent.

It's a hugely diverse set of related skills and jobs: development (in many flavours: low-level, dev ops, APIs, front-end, testing automation/QA), product management, design, user experience/user research.

Loads of people come from different and unrelated areas into it, there's a low barrier to entry (you can self-teach) and a huge demand for skills and entry-level jobs about. There are some proper bonkers areas emerging (AI, VR, automation etc.). Lots of different, creative paths can open up for you.

Some resources:
    https://generalassemb.ly/browse/codi...es-and-classes
    https://www.coursera.org
    https://www.codecademy.com
    https://www.google.co.uk/about/caree...velopment.html
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...-what-is-code/
    https://www.raspberrypi.org
    https://www.arduino.cc

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my friends experiences working with EA, I think if Boydy ended up in QA he'd end up topping himself.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mid-level (2-4 years experience) mobile QA with some automation skills can make £300 per day in London.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at Phonics helping people out in here while Hammer shits on others. If I ever need help (I won't) I know who to PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    My main advice for those who are a younger, a bit aimless and not sure as to what they want to do, would be to get a solid understanding of technology. You can guarantee that nearly all jobs in any capacity will rely on it to some extent.

It's a hugely diverse set of related skills and jobs: development (in many flavours: low-level, dev ops, APIs, front-end, testing automation/QA), product management, design, user experience/user research.

Loads of people come from different and unrelated areas into it, there's a low barrier to entry (you can self-teach) and a huge demand for skills and entry-level jobs about. There are some proper bonkers areas emerging (AI, VR, automation etc.). Lots of different, creative paths can open up for you.

Some resources:
    https://generalassemb.ly/browse/codi...es-and-classes
    https://www.coursera.org
    https://www.codecademy.com
    https://www.google.co.uk/about/caree...velopment.html
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...-what-is-code/
    https://www.raspberrypi.org
    https://www.arduino.cc
    100% with Raoul on this. Getting into tech is the best thing ive ever done.

I had worked finance admin jobs for 12 years with the last two being slightly more interesting doing project management. I took a plunge in 2014 to move to a digital agency with no digital experience or qualifications and it was a tough slog for 2 years. 12 hour days and very hectic deadlines.

I came out the other side of that and managed to get a Scrum Master/PO role at a relatively big company working in their digital delivery platform on a number of their products.

Unless you're actually going to be a developer then you don't even need a huge amount of knowledge, you just need to be able to interpret requirements or technical information and relay them to teams/stakeholders in language they can understand.

Raoul will back me up that there's also an immense job satisfaction in tech as you are creating something tangible that everyone can see. You can show people a website you managed the project for, an app you launched or a hotel booking tool you helped with. Adds a lot more satisfaction to it for me.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright then, seems like the TTH careers department is open for business. What should I do with my Politics degree? My main interests are 80s pop music, cricket and reading weird stuff on the internet.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technology stops you being depressed

That's a new one. Maybe if it's what's giving you the shock therapy or something...

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Alright then, seems like the TTH careers department is open for business. What should I do with my Politics degree? My main interests are 80s pop music, cricket and reading weird stuff on the internet.
    Make internet memes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's not "meaning" to things. We're tiny specs without purpose in the universe, that's it. We've developed intellect that far outmatches our biological urges or programming, if such a thing indeed even still exists in us, which means we can pertain abstract ideas and values to our existence and vividly do so.

That said, while I personally don't like the idea of growing very old, frail and eventually dying (at least not right now) - I'm resigned to the fact that that's how it works, and all you can do is make the best of it. I'm generally quite happy. I enjoy my Job, I've reached a level of maturity about choices to make in your life and how to value and maintain the relationships that are important, and I have an idea of how I want my life to have been when it's time for it to be over. The only "meaning" I can find is to try to enjoy it as much as possible while it lasts, and to try to make sure it lasts as long as possible by staying fairly healthy. During the past two or so years I've increasingly developed a certain worry that the way the world is heading, I likely won't make it all the way until about 80 or 90 or so. Since I have a kid and would like to have more, this is quite depressing. But I'm figuring all I can do is stick to the general plan I have and hope for the best.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to peak in my 40s or 50s. I was never meant to be young, it's just an opportunity to gather the knowledge required for middle age.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll peak in my 70's and let all my latent bigotry offend all comers.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Technology stops you being depressed

That's a new one. Maybe if it's what's giving you the shock therapy or something...
    I don't think Raouls post mentioned anyone being depressed?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I've noticed is that the times I'm happiest (and when my life has most meaning) are also the times that those questions are furthest from my mind.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely Norman Bates mk2.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raise a loving family and fuck mad bitches on the side until you settle down.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mert can you please start a vlog?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't understand how people can be enthusiastic about the world in 2016.

We all have internet, we all have a pretty good idea the world is inherently fucked.

I was thinking about this on the way to work today... the government basically has treated us like their small children.

You know how small kids, you know, Santa is real, everything is awesome, you don't really want to tell them about the world cause they still have all this wonder in their eyes.

Well that's the 1st tier. Most people then just stay on tier 2, where they realize life is kinda shit but there's still some good things going on to distract myself with.

Then there's this new tier that we're on now, where we don't have to rely on the mainstream media or the government to tell us what's happening. We can easily open up twitter or whatver platform and see it for ourselves first hand.

How people can reach that 3rd tier and completely distract themselves from it every day must be fucking exhausting.

Most things are inherently shit. The stuff we enjoy is literally just a distraction from this. Very very very few people live real, meaningful lives.

Sure, it's great to have a family, raise children, blah blah blah. But what does that really even mean to the world? I don't know. Anyways.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Then there's this new tier that we're on now, where we don't have to rely on the mainstream media or the government to tell us what's happening. We can easily open up twitter or whatver platform and see it for ourselves first hand.

Yes mate, Twitter is the path to THE TRUTH.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being ENRAGED at THE GOVERNMENT is also nothing more than a distraction btw.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe is right. We need to focus our anger on the RAPISTS and CRIMINALS that are too dim to read the clear message written IN ENGLISH on the white cliffs of Dover.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruh you voted for Trump.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post

Yes mate, Twitter is the path to THE TRUTH.
    What are you fucking stupid? The point isn't specifically twitter, it's that we have access to platforms that can more or less give us real time information without someone else taking it, digesting it, and then shitting out whatever they think is relevant to our interests.

Fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Bruh you voted for Trump.
    So what's that mean?

--

I like how my post turned into "I'm so enraged at the government!". There's no point to be enraged. There's nothing we can do about it at this point.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seethe.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should read a bit about 'social media' and its current role as a news supplier. It is much worse that you seem to realize.

Can start here (better stuff out there but this one is recent so it was easy to find):

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...fake_news.html

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine not seeing the forest for the fucking trees like this.

Holy shit.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The misinformation and fake news epidemic is an entirely different discussion, so feel free to understand my point within it's context and then maybe. if you were so inclined, we can branch off into that completely other ball of wax.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather keep lolling at you, but thanks for the offer.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I didn't fucking think so.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all a matter of perspective though, isn't it. Maybe it's that you think things are shit, rather than them being shit. Whether or not something is good or shit is a matter perspective. People are much better off than they were 500 years ago. It's all relative.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just avoid boredom and you'll be alright. Unless something dreadful happens, of course.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    It's all a matter of perspective though, isn't it. Maybe it's that you think things are shit, rather than them being shit. Whether or not something is good or shit is a matter perspective. People are much better off than they were 500 years ago. It's all relative.
    Most definitely. Considering some neighborhoods in Mexico City still don't have running water, the kind of stuff we worry about over here is completely trivial (and even that is trivial to...and on and on.) As I said above, even caring about politics is nothing but a distraction, if someone really cared about such stuff they would do something about it as opposed to simply moan.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Just avoid boredom and you'll be alright. Unless something dreadful happens, of course.
    That's basically it. Of course, some people seem to be way more propense to being bored.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Most definitely. Considering some neighborhoods in Mexico City still don't have running water, the kind of stuff we worry about over here is completely trivial (and even that is trivial to...and on and on.) As I said above, even caring about politics is nothing but a distraction, if someone really cared about such stuff they would do something about it as opposed to simply moan.
    Yeah exactly. Working in the Philippines and seeing how a lot of people in the slums out there live really put everything in the UK into perspective. People moaning about shit in their comfortable homes with clean running water. Fucking hell. I'm not saying there aren't issues, but a sense of perspective is pretty important because we're really fucking privileged over here, in the grand scheme of things.

Those that actually go out and do shit are the last ones to sit around and moan in the abstract though, in my experience. They're too busy doing things to philosophise about it. That's the point I was making to my housemate that I'm still getting the silent treatments for (). He can bitch and moan and deconstruct everything intellectually as much as he wants, but he's a hypocrite. He's so vocal about social community and blah blah blah...and yet in reality he's scared of talking to anyone differently from him. It's garbage.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking back, I think when I pretty much stopped playing games for working/drinking quite a large gap was left which hasn't really been filled since. I get bored at uni because the only thing I allow myself to get distracted with is exercise or a night out every couple of weeks, which normally turns into days, quite possibly because I'm desperately clinging onto fun.

Living with four Chinese is pretty shit, though. They're so fucking annoying.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neighbour over here has a pretty good conspiracy theory and he's gone into detail about it a few times with me. He reckons tv / social media / the news is being deliberately dumbed down to basically euthanise the population and turn us all into cabbages. People get hooked on this car crash, instant gratification style of consuming information and it ends up warping everyone's reality to whatever degree. I was lolling on the inside at first but when you look at the cesspits like Facebook and Twitter it's not difficult to see he may not be too far away from having a point.