User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [FOOTY] Weekend Fixtures ft. a genuinely pretty super Sunday (4/5 November)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we don't yet have a proper thread, I'll just put it here:

Manolas will be suspended against Croatia because he intentionally got a yellow card in the match against Cyprus so that he would serve a suspension in the match against Gibraltar.

The even weirder thing is that this decision was taken a few days ago, while the incident happened over a month ago. Just FIFA things I guess.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it in the rules that they can do that? Thick as shit from him if it is.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know and most articles on the matter are in Greek sites so no unbiased sources. Presumably there's no such rule but I can't say for sure.

The question is, how do you even decide such a thing? He got a yellow card for time-wasting in a must-win game where we were 2-1 up. He clearly did it intentionally, but it just seems so sketchy.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should appoint a Proper Football Man as an extra official at every game to adjudicate on such things, like they do in F1 with the drivers' steward.

I remember once David Beckham 'picked up' a yellow card to absorb his impending ban against Azerbaijan, and a fuss was kicked up, but I can't remember the exact whies and wherefores.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It reminds me of when Roy Keane's suspension was put on hold until he was match fit again.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They should appoint a Proper Football Man as an extra official at every game to adjudicate on such things, like they do in F1 with the drivers' steward.

I remember once David Beckham 'picked up' a yellow card to absorb his impending ban against Azerbaijan, and a fuss was kicked up, but I can't remember the exact whies and wherefores.
    I think a fuss was only kicked up because he was stupid enough to admit to it in the post match interview.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yellow cards carry over to the play offs? By which I mean would a yellow in the first leg mean he missed the second? If not they should have just benched him in the last game.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    A few... At least 6-7 positions. We've got a lot of crap in there and Woodward needs to actually get the players rather than haggle over a few million.

City are far and away better than us. If we finish top 3 it'll be a good season with that team.
    In terms of the strongest XI I would say they need four players (centre-back [unless Victor Lindelof magically comes good], left-back [same for Big Fat Luke Shaw], attacking midfielder, proper right-sided player - and those last two have to be proper mega). If they got those then it would presumably sort the depth out as well by keeping the likes of Phil Jones away from important fixtures whilst also forcing Chris Smalling out the door.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pirlo has retired. I expect we'll be to the knees in everyone's tears here within the hour.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another utter, utter legend.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Do yellow cards carry over to the play offs? By which I mean would a yellow in the first leg mean he missed the second? If not they should have just benched him in the last game.
    Pretty sure they do.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them starting to interpret these things as grey areas is a dangerous game. Either he was booked or he wasn't and it should be left at that.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happened to watch the second leg of New York City FC's play-off semi final last night. They brought him on in the 89th minute with them a goal down on aggregate, he received the ball twice, massively overhit a long ball each time and then trudged off. Bit of a shame.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moyes appointed at West 'am. Take 'em down Davey.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gold and Sullivan really are a pair of legends. Think of the most unpopular possible appointment and do it really quickly.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex McLeish narrowly missed out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The official statement is just amazing on so many levels.

West Ham United can confirm the appointment of David Moyes as the club’s manager.

The 54-year-old Scotsman arrives with tremendous experience and pedigree, having managed in the Premier League for 14 seasons, with eight of the last nine ending in top eight finishes.

The former Preston, Everton, Manchester United, Real Sociedad and Sunderland boss has been voted the League Managers’ Association Manager of the Year on three occasions, in 2003, 2005 and 2009, and won 10 Premier League Manager of the Month awards.

He enjoyed a magnificent eleven-year tenure at Goodison Park, leading the Toffees to the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and an FA Cup final, before being hand-picked by Sir Alex Ferguson as his successor at Manchester United in the summer of 2013.

Joint-Chairman David Sullivan said: “I would like to welcome David to West Ham United.

“This is a unique position for David Gold and myself - it is the first time in almost eight years at West Ham United that we have appointed a new manager during the season.

“We need somebody with experience, knowledge of the Premier League and the players in it, and we believe David is the right man to turn things around and get the best out of the players at the Club. He is highly regarded and respected within the game, and will bring fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm.

“He proved with Everton that he has great qualities and we feel that West Ham United is a Club that will give David the platform to display those qualities again.”

Born in Glasgow on April 25 1963, Moyes enjoyed a 19-year playing career that started with Scottish giants Celtic and took in spells with the likes of Cambridge United, Bristol City, Shrewsbury Town, Dunfermline Athletic and Preston North End, finishing with over 550 league appearances.

However, he had always been destined for a future in coaching – having taken his coaching badges at the age of just 22 – and when the opportunity came to step up at Preston in January 1998, the then-34-year-old began his managerial career.

After saving Preston from relegation in 1997/98, he then led them to the Division Two title in 1999/2000, before following that up by reaching the Division One play-off final the following year, when they missed out on promotion to the Premier League by a whisker.

In March 2002, Moyes took over at Everton, replacing fellow Scotsman Walter Smith. He took over the Merseyside club when they were above the relegation zone on goal difference and led them to safety with a 15th place position.

An impressive transformation of the club’s fortunes followed and they finished seventh in Moyes’ first full season in charge. In the 2004/05 campaign, Everton finished ahead of Merseyside rivals Liverpool in fourth position, their highest ever Premier League finish to date, and secured Champions League qualification as a result.

After establishing Everton as a successful Premier League side with top eight finishes in his last seven years in charge, Moyes was selected by Sir Alex Ferguson to take on the daunting challenge of replacing him at Old Trafford in May 2013.

Moyes won the Community Shield at Wembley in August – becoming the first Manchester United manager ever to win a trophy in his first season in charge, but left the club after just ten months.

In November 2014, he took over at Real Sociedad for a year-long spell in Spain’s La Liga, leading the club to a famous win over Barcelona in January 2015, before returning to the Premier League in the summer of 2016 with Sunderland, where a difficult year ended in relegation last season.

Moyes will meet his new players for the first time at Rush Green on Tuesday morning, before taking charge of the team for the trip to Watford in the Premier League on Sunday 19 November.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone noticed that they've only given him a contract till the end of the season when it goes tits up?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kane, Winks, Alli, Henderson, Delph and Sterling withdraw from England squad. I mean, for fucks sake.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least Henderson didn't play at the weekend (and is shit) but yeah, what's the point? Adios ranking points, hello dreadful world cup draw.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, it could be chance, and Alli was injured for Sunday's game, but it seems a bit ridiculous. I was looking forward to this International break due to us playing Germany and Brazil rather than Malta, but that's 5 out of 11 starters gone.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace - loan from Chelsea), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Swansea - loan from Chelsea), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

So bad. They may as well put the U17s out.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #WilshereOnThePlane

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll probably call Lallana up to injure him again.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out the other day that Dean Ashton actually got 1.5 million out of the FA for the injury in England training that forced him to retire.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one will withdraw from squads next year when there are UEFA Nations League points at stake.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be better midfielders than Livermore available, surely?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can Claudio Yacob get a passport yet?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone would think people don't want to play in a pointless game arranged solely to ensure there's enough money for the FA to waste on whatever bullshit they've dreamt up this week.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    There must be better midfielders than Livermore available, surely?
    Tom Davies?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butland
    Keane - Stones - Cahill
    Walker - Dier - Delph - Trippier
    Lingard - Vardy - Rashford

Watch out Brazil

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the fuck is Diego still in the Brazil squad. Don't tell me, he gets 12 assists a year in their league which is about League One standard, and knows the right drug lord.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    At least Henderson didn't play at the weekend (and is shit) but yeah, what's the point? Adios ranking points, hello dreadful world cup draw.
    I might be remembering wrong, but I think the draw is off October's rankings.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diego Simeone has been offerred the Everton job and the Spanish papers aren't rebuffing it immediately. Surely not.

That style of club does make more sense then him trying to turn up at a United or the like but still.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely he has Arsenal if he wants it in the summer.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it'd be a great fit. Simeone is a street fighter of a manager and we're a ballet class of a team.

I also think he'd get owned in England due to the language barrier.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, it'd probably be terrible but he'd walk into it if he wants it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I don't think it'd be a great fit. Simeone is a street fighter of a manager and we're a ballet class of a team.

I also think he'd get owned in England due to the language barrier.
    Always seemed like that was exactly the kind of manager Arsenal needed (as also it would inevitably lead to some sort of reckoning in the Arsenal Instagram Club ranks).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simeone is the gypo's gypo, so Liverpool would be a very apt home city for him and if the money's right then why not.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    What the fuck.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to query whether England were really going into these games with the midfielders and attackers previously listed, but, never fear, I see Jack Cork has been called up.

Suck on that "The Ox" et al.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keisuke Honda