46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck is this shit?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Verstappen. Give him a car equal to the bests.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went for a cigarette and am absolutely shocked to see Alonso has retired.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferrari not so subtly turning Raikkonen's engine down so the inevitable swap with Vettel doesn't look too bad.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferrari as a whole remains a laughable shitshow in spite of their improved form this year. Apparently Marchionne is about to bosh Arrivabene and his various pasta-twirling acolytes. I'm sure that'll make a massive difference.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty damned good race in the end. We were based high up on turn 1 again so had a great view of the vettel start and fair number of overtakes.

Weather was absolutely minging this morning so was proper scared it'd be a whitewash.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at the people whinging about Max getting a penalty, there hasn't been a clearer example of track limits in years.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shots of Schumacher standing on the barrier and Jean Todt crying

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that Coulthard slowed down right at the end just in case Villeneuve needed the second place.... Everyone really did hate Michael, didn't they.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liberty Media have been really, really good at stuff like this. Here's hoping they put together a network.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I love that Coulthard slowed down right at the end just in case Villeneuve needed the second place.... Everyone really did hate Michael, didn't they.
    Well he was better than the rest of them combined so it stands to reason.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were all prize cunts themselves, well apart from Mika. Eddie Irvine, what a shithead.

In that era though it really was anyone but Schumacher as the thinking man's choice. You couldn't watch Adelaide '94 and not fucking hate him forever more.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or watch the FIA try and engineer a Ferrari win, and this is against Villeneuve a man who it could not be easier to dislike.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Well he was better than the rest of them combined so it stands to reason.
    Which just made it all the more frustrating that he decided to cheat so often.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon out of the last 36 World Championships, 33 have been won by utter cunts.

No sign of that ratio decreasing any time soon either. I'm undecided on Verstappen.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verstappen could go the way of Vettel but it's early days.

Who were your three? Or is it just Hill and Mika?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2x Mika, and Damon. I'm being a bit harsh on Button I suppose but I've always found him a smarmy twat. I guess he's not in the Piquet league.

Kimi has his charms, but, yeah.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Which just made it all the more frustrating that he decided to cheat so often.
    The biggest cheats of the era were a whole team and their stolen emails, which always gets conveniently forgotten. Though they're kind of paying for it now I suppose.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest in what sense? Toyota employees ended up in court on similar charges and Renault were done for the exact same thing (right down to the regulation they broke) shortly after Mclaren, it's just that there was no-one at the FIA with a personal grievance against their team principal so the FIA decided not to get involved or to apply any penalties. You could go back further before the days of computer logs or secure data when the done thing was to clear your desk into a big sack and any technical documents that might happen to be there too, after all who's going to know if they turn up in a slightly different form somewhere else on the grid? You could even go back to the early 90's when things like active suspension and mass dampers widely credited to Williams mysteriously turned up on Benettons and Ferraris. Nobody wins this game.

Drivers though? It's far more obvious when they cheat and Herr Schumacher was the worst culprit I've ever seen (although I bet Piquet would be up there if you went back and looked hard enough).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Biggest in what sense? Toyota employees ended up in court on similar charges and Renault were done for the exact same thing (right down to the regulation they broke) shortly after Mclaren, it's just that there was no-one at the FIA with a personal grievance against their team principal so the FIA decided not to get involved or to apply any penalties. You could go back further before the days of computer logs or secure data when the done thing was to clear your desk into a big sack and any technical documents that might happen to be there too, after all who's going to know if they turn up in a slightly different form somewhere else on the grid? You could even go back to the early 90's when things like active suspension and mass dampers widely credited to Williams mysteriously turned up on Benettons and Ferraris. Nobody wins this game.

Drivers though? It's far more obvious when they cheat and Herr Schumacher was the worst culprit I've ever seen (although I bet Piquet would be up there if you went back and looked hard enough).
    I wasn't massively into F1 at the time. Can you give me examples of Schumacher cheating? Did he do it at both Benetton and Ferrari? And were the teams complicit in it?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae..._controversies

These things have followed Flavio Briatore around rather a lot.

My old man always says Schumacher 'got what was coming to him' regarding becoming a vegetable. I wouldn't go that far but there's a certain karmic order about the whole situation.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    I wasn't massively into F1 at the time. Can you give me examples of Schumacher cheating? Did he do it at both Benetton and Ferrari? And were the teams complicit in it?

Thanks.
    Adelaide 94 he damaged his car and while coasting back to the pits he turned in on Damon Hill taking them both out of the race. Hill would have been World Champion had he finished.

Jerez 97 he rammed Jacques Villeneuve in an attempt to take him out of the title deciding race.

Also widely criticised for trying to run Rubens Barichello into the pit wall in Hungary. I forget which year but he parked his car across the track in Monaco during qualifying in an attempt to stop his rivals from setting their own times.

I don't think the teams were really complicit in much of that but he raced for Benetton during the years they are widely accepted to have been using illegal technology on their cars and for Ferrari when they were heavily favoured by the sports governing body.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Force India reserve driver Celis has just smashed up Perez’s car in FP2. Perez did no look too happy

Edit; might not be too serious - Force India engineer doesn’t seem too bothered.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austria. When the team ordered Barichello to give up the lead to Schumacher on the final corner of the race. Was that a team call or did Michael stamp his seniority on it? Let's be honest, the politics are the best part of Formula One.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Austria. When the team ordered Barichello to give up the lead to Schumacher on the final corner of the race. Was that a team call or did Michael stamp his seniority on it? Let's be honest, the politics are the best part of Formula One.
    It was Schumacher of course. If it had been the team then they'd all justifiably be vegetables now.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They had team orders long before Schumacher got there, and you can't really argue with 5 titles, it worked. Schumacher was a great driver but he never really knew where competitiveness gave way to outright cheating, hardly surprising when you think he came up under Eddie Jordan then Flavio Briatore. Then came the move to Ferrari (run by a Frenchman no less) and it all went a bit 1000 year dynasty.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think Ayrton Senna being a cunt would be discussed more if he was still alive and sitting on six titles?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was a sexy latin type, it's harder to get away with that stuff when you're a german brickie with a banana-face. Plus Senna raced against Alain Prost so almost anything is forgivable.

If he'd lived I think Schumacher would have retired him, he was Senna with a grasp of politics (beyond I'd like more money and less Gerhard Berger please), once they reformed the Axis I reckon he'd have struggled to get a top drive.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Senna's defence, I refer you to that bullshit call (was it Estoril or some place?) where he was penalised for exceeding track limits or such when he took to the run-off (which included a chicane which cost him time) to avoid a crash. As for a hypothetical retiring of Senna, I don't think so. That Williams would become the car to be in. Alternatively, there was a McLaren ready for two World Championships or a sneaky Benetton he could drag to the front.

But then we wouldn't have got to see Damon Hill's title.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who recently came into F1, why is Prost hated so much? I'm curious because it's easy to see why people dislike Schumacher, Hamilton, Verstappen or Vettel but I couldn't see anything relating to why Prost is so disliked.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think part of it was his driving style. He was the type to just do what was required and play it safe. I think he also had the ear of the FIA during the Senna rivalry (hence the above penalty sticking).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    As someone who recently came into F1, why is Prost hated so much? I'm curious because it's easy to see why people dislike Schumacher, Hamilton, Verstappen or Vettel but I couldn't see anything relating to why Prost is so disliked.
    Watch the film 'Senna' for the outright fanboy perspective of why people didn't like Prost.

Prost should really have won about 8 world championships though, he was that good, just the Frenchness caught up with him at times.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

How the fuck could you recently enjoy this shite?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from someone that can watch the completely uninteresting shite that is bikes

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sky 'Legends of F1' (or whatever it is) one on Alain Prost is good, as he sits there feeling victimised trying not to speak ill of the dead.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Coming from someone that can watch the completely uninteresting shite that is bikes
    Clueless. I love BTCC as well. I just enjoy good close competitive racing. Something which hasn't been in F1 for years.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Good close competitive racing' is an synonym for randomness, and is very overrated. There has NEVER been that in F1 and nor should there be.

The issue F1 has compared to the past is that the cars are easy to drive and so there's less visible skill for the spectator.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't even say MotoGP/2/3 is random. The cream rises to the top. BTCC's different. If you have to reverse a grid, your sport has problems.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's aerodynamics, you had the situation in Austin that nobody wanted to be within five seconds of the car in front because they leave such a huge trail of 'dirty' air.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I wouldn't even say MotoGP/2/3 is random. The cream rises to the top. BTCC's different. If you have to reverse a grid, your sport has problems.
    Yup, track position just has far less importance in bike racing and things like tyre choice and conservation become more important. If you want the ur-example of meaningless overtaking it's oval racing, at least three quarters of every race is completely pointless.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's disparity between top and bottom that makes your sport. In F1 that's absolutely huge.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be interesting to see what happens now there are some vaguely sensible people in charge, new engine regs and almost certainly a budget cap should make a difference in that regard.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caught up to Austria on the bikes. Morbidelli and Mir have the other two classes sewn up. Nobody can touch their racecraft. The MotoGP finish was great. I'm strangely enjoying Lorenzo hitting the front and killing his tires. Something tells me that might come in handy when Dovi needs a wingman.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware the BBC Sport page, I saw the Malaysia result by accident.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phew. Didn't clock it before. Man, it's over in two weeks. Better get a move on.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats probably the title. Vettel and lewis with contact on lap one resulting in both of them in the pit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vettel being a 4 time champion is a travesty. Just nowhere near good enough in traffic.