User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [FOOTBALL] The Magic of the UEFA Super Cup and Carabao Cup

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is THAT good at free kicks in terms of sticking 1 in 3 into the goal sack/onion bag. It's more about when you do it. Beckham used to be great at that. Messi too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. What I mean to say is if Ronaldo was taking free kicks like a normal person would, i.e. close enough to the goal when you actually have a chance of scoring, his stats would be a bit better.

But because of his inflated ego, he's also taking free kicks from 45 yards out here and there thinking he can whip it into the net because he did so once or twice before, which fucks up these stats a bit.

Still doesn't mean he's great at free kicks or anything, he's alright at them and nothing more.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    No one is THAT good at free kicks in terms of sticking 1 in 3 into the goal sack/onion bag. It's more about when you do it. Beckham used to be great at that. Messi too.
    Was it you that said if Messi was some right back who pitched up and banged them in the way he does he'd be considered one of the best ever, but it just gets lost in all the other stuff he's brilliant at?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd offensive wide players are poor. They are based off not playing them at all. Pogba was beast in a 352 at juventus. Would be good if they tried that system with valencia and someone else as the wing backs.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Was it you that said if Messi was some right back who pitched up and banged them in the way he does he'd be considered one of the best ever, but it just gets lost in all the other stuff he's brilliant at?
    Probably not, but I agree with it.

Ronaldo is a blaster of the ball, the best free kick takers (obviously due to the small amount of goal you are aiming at) are placers.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Man Utd offensive wide players are poor. They are based off not playing them at all. Pogba was beast in a 352 at juventus. Would be good if they tried that system with valencia and someone else as the wing backs.
    They were last night pretty much. 3-5-1-1. Mourinho was trying it out in friendlies as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Not really. What I mean to say is if Ronaldo was taking free kicks like a normal person would, i.e. close enough to the goal when you actually have a chance of scoring, his stats would be a bit better.

But because of his inflated ego, he's also taking free kicks from 45 yards out here and there thinking he can whip it into the net because he did so once or twice before, which fucks up these stats a bit.

Still doesn't mean he's great at free kicks or anything, he's alright at them and nothing more.
    Knowing what you should be doing in any given position is part of the skill of taking a free kick. If he chooses to wallop it at goal from the car park that's on him.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Knowing what you should be doing in any given position is part of the skill of taking a free kick. If he chooses to wallop it at goal from the car park that's on him.
    You know what I mean though, right?

Of course that's on him to waste potential crosses and into-the-box flicks by taking stupid shots. It's like he's making himself look worse than he actually should be by taking a bunch of free-kicks that - in this context (actually scoring opportunity free kicks) - are not really relevant (as they are not really scoring opportunities).

It's like some players who insist on shooting from 50 yards out even though they have never once scored a goal like that (typical Brazilian Centre Back behaviour).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew what you meant right away, when I said it was nonsense.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that nonsense?

There are 10 free kicks. 5 of those are goalscoring opportunities, the rest aren't.

Messi will take 5 of those free kicks, and score lets say 2.
    Ronaldo will take 9 of those free kicks, and score lets say 1.

That means Messi scores 2/5 of goalscoring opportunities from free kicks, whereas Ronaldo scores 1/5, but his stats are skewed because he also decides to take a bunch of free kicks where Modric or someone should hit a cross.

It's not nonsense, it's logic. It's retarded by Ronaldo to do that, but it also doesn't detract from his ability to score the actually scorable free-kicks. He's not the best at that, but he's not the worst either. I agree there's merit in knowing when you should do something and when you shouldn't - but that is a different point than the execution of the things you should be doing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 5.5 hours there and then another 5.5 hours back from Sofia to Skopje, it's a shame united still seem to have the same problems of last season. Poor attacking play, especially with Lingard tucking in / hiding on the left (and supported by the ineffective Darmien) supported by shaky defensive play (from the aforementioned Matteo and brain dead Smalling). If we take the chances we made though and suddenly we have extra time. Madrid were unbelievable at times, Modric is an amazing footballer.

The stadium itself is pretty lovely although, the stewards were unnecessarily violent. The stadium wasn't set up for mass groups of people trying to buy a drink at half time and 100% the local staff have made a nice earner last night. Skopje is actually pretty beautiful with the newly built buildings and massive statues.

Strange place for a final but worth he adventure.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose they'll never get anything else so might as well take the Super Cup there for some vote harvesting.

Next year it's in Estonia.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct flight to Talinn I suppose?

This is my mate: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-ze...t-10951059.amp

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    biggestfella72?

A friend of the wife too, perhaps?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's right.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should probably have a word with her about that. And any other women you know who might be tempted by a man whose internet moniker suggests a large physical size.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His profile picture is certainly an interesting one.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice of the '44 year-old season ticket holder at Old Trafford' to let an edgy thirteen year old run his Twitter.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best part is when he mentions he's with his kids but he's gonna go get pissed all night for a 6am flight

Seems legit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's actually like that. The man drinks a lot.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the kids are fine with making their own breakfast.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A liquid one.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night was great. I went with a mate I occasionally go with, and a lad who needed a lift that we picked up in Leeds. He's started a Yorkshire based Sunderland fan group on Facebook which could prove useful. We completely outplayed Bury (who have been great with all their contributions towards Bradley Lowery), and it's a while since we've done that to a team. My mate's twisted my arm to go to Sheff. Wednesday next week, and Leeds the following weekend. I'm also off to Barnsley in a couple weeks providing I can get tickets.

The Championship

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Last night was great. I went with a mate I occasionally go with, and a lad who needed a lift that we picked up in Leeds. He's started a Yorkshire based Sunderland fan group on Facebook which could prove useful. We completely outplayed Bury (who have been great with all their contributions towards Bradley Lowery), and it's a while since we've done that to a team. My mate's twisted my arm to go to Sheff. Wednesday next week, and Leeds the following weekend. I'm also off to Barnsley in a couple weeks providing I can get tickets.

The Championship
    I had planned to do similar last year, but my mate with a season ticket and his brother went to nearly every game so I couldn't.

Enjoy it - it's nice going to some different grounds, winning games for once and actually having an affinity for the players and for team you support.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could go to more games at a level like that (or lower). I could go to Woking but it's a shit club full of tossers, and other than that it's London teams which are generally tedious to get to, or ridiciulously twee like Fulham.

And my own club obviously I need a lottery win to even think about it, and the clientele these days is properly depressing.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been to a game this year yet as we're boycotting. Though the club probably won't exist in a couple of years so I might catch a couple before the end of the season for the sake of nostalgia.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the colour-coded bus stops of salvation not made it off the drawing board?

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colour coded thing rings a vague bell, but I'm shit at remembering stuff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was some Dr Nick guy who the League of Ireland brought in to do an absolutely mad presentation about how to make the League sexier (including theming the local bus stops around clubs, and using James Joyce pictures at games to illustrate local history).

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was some Dr Nick guy who the League of Ireland brought in to do an absolutely mad presentation about how to make the League sexier (including theming the local bus stops around clubs, and using James Joyce pictures at games to illustrate local history).
    Ah shit yeah I'd forgot about that whole mess

I can safely say he's gone with his suitcase of cash and not one thing, even the sane ones, has been implemented.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The League. It's not that grim.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could go to more games at a level like that (or lower). I could go to Woking but it's a shit club full of tossers, and other than that it's London teams which are generally tedious to get to, or ridiciulously twee like Fulham.

And my own club obviously I need a lottery win to even think about it, and the clientele these days is properly depressing.
    You could follow the mighty Green Lions on their travails around the M25 south.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to see Hamilton grind out a 1-0 home defeat to Aberdeen the other day. Some proper shite in the team at the moment, even compared to when I've been previously where at least there was some cohesion and seemingly a plan in place.

Also some centre-half called Sarras has taken over at the top of my Worst Professional Performances I've Seen Live leaderboard, I think.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post

The Championship
    Barnsley is a cracking away day. Loads of little pubs and chippies and you get the whole end. Went a few years ago for a midweek game when we won 3-0 and it was just brilliant.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    You could follow the mighty Green Lions on their travails around the M25 south.
    They are now a league above my actual local side which is a touch embarrassing, although at that level it's more about who has the dodgiest chairman who can keep expenses off the books.

Oh and whose manager 'knows the scene' best when the entire squad inevitably needs replacing in September.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Also some centre-half called Sarras has taken over at the top of my Worst Professional Performances I've Seen Live leaderboard, I think.
    Bilel Mohsni holds spots one through five on that leaderboard for me, but I remember that Sarris bloke being a fucking bombscare against us last season. Had one of those comedy attempted clearances that go in completely the wrong direction.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got speaking to a bloke on the train after a game of football one day. He was a Rangers fan and decided when he moved to London, he needed a team so started going to Brentford. Not sure what that money-ball type place would be to go to on a match day.

I'm going to try and go to watch FC United v Kidderminster tomorrow but I think there will be nuclear war with the family if I dare leave the house while dinner is being cooked.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part time twat. Was probably Pongo.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn't digress onto his massive TV and gizmos collection so I doubt it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Griffin Park last season, it's tinpot as fuck in a nice way and I got to stand in the home end which was my first experience of standing and far superior to sitting. Also a nice homely bar and surrounds (the club shop is smaller than my bedroom) but they're building a new stadium so any charm will soon be gone.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlton? I had a free ticket last year as part of a SKY SPORTS GIVE AWAY COS THE PREM ISN'T PLAYING event but didn't get to go. One of life's great regrets.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I strike you as the sort of person who would go to Charlton? How do you even get there? I've never heard of the DLR.

If Crystal Palace were in League One I'd probably go there. Used to go to Wimbledon a bit when I were a wee lad. That was a fun club.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the new Wimbledon.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's the overground.

Boring fact - the Saturday league team I play for play games where the old Crazy gang used to train.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go to Millwall and be done with it, Jimmy

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go watch Chelsea Ladies.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    I had planned to do similar last year, but my mate with a season ticket and his brother went to nearly every game so I couldn't.

Enjoy it - it's nice going to some different grounds, winning games for once and actually having an affinity for the players and for team you support.
    The mackems have the bonus of not expecting to bounce straight back up, too. So home games might not sound so dire when they concede early.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realized how awesome away days were until I did the 6 hour bus trip to Atlanta a few weeks back.

some old guy in "Atlanta United" grab was flipping us all off just because we dared to wear purple in his town

Awesome experience.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cech at least partially to blame for both goals.