Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched a great documentary - the documentary thread, ja

The Jinx - the Life And Deaths Of Robert Durst

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4299972/

HBO alway does great stuff - here's part 1 of 6 (all told it's nearly 5 hours), all available on Dailymotion. 'Stranger than fiction' comes to mind in this one.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xz5fs

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terror at The Mall is another HBO one to watch.

The ineptitude of the security forces there was something else.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where dya look for good documentaries Harold? Whenever I try to google I tend to find shit websites that just have documentaries about 9/11 being an inside job and chemtrails and shit.

Actually, that goes for all of you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reddit documentaries, usually.

I saw the Mall one a while back. Very good.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah The Life And Deaths in Robert Durst is incredible, hard to believe its a real world tale at times. Similar to Death on the Staircase, which needs to be seen by way more people.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, saw that ages ago. I thought it was pretty popular.

HBO is the best around at true crime stuff.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About Durst....

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a bit of a posting flurry about this on the old board, I'm sure. Great stuff, but absolutely horrible.

The two Joshua Oppenheimer docs about Indonesia are excellent. 'The Act of Killing', and 'The Look of Silence'. The first one initially seems like it might be taking a bit of a whimsical approach to such a horrific subject, but quickly gets past that and they're both genuinely powerful.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon Reeve is great for fairly low-key travel docs, especially 'Meet the Stans', and 'Places That Don't Exist'. All on youtube last time I checked.

The entire 5 hours of the BBC's Death of Yugoslavia is also on there, and well worth a watch.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a new Simon Reeve one advertised the other day - Ireland.

Those budget cuts must be hitting hard at the BBC.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned his Carrivean docu the other day. Theres a sort of 'youre probably not concentrating on this so i can get away with what i want' feel to them.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Deliver us from Evil just then. Brutally difficult watch. So raw. And terrifying. The effects of child abuse are so long reaching and lasting.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched The war you don't see a few days ago. Very, very good. John Pilger is a bit of a don.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post

I've managed to source this so plan to watch it soon.

At the moment I'm watching The Death of Yugoslavia. The first two episodes were complete '' at the Serb's sneakiness. The third episode the Croat War of Independence has just begun and now it's not funny anymore.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best bit is when they call a Yugoslav CRISIS MEETING between the security council about the Croatians possible arms buying take back Knin from Croat-Serbs and thus fight the war with the JNA which would follow. It's in Belgrade and before Tudjman gets there (as he's late) they begin the meeting. Mesic is giving it the big licks from Croatia about it's all bollocks and so what if they are etc. The JNA general (in cahoots with Jovic (Serbian Chairman of the Council) calls for a break to watch the evening news before resuming.

Instead of putting the news on he puts on a VHS with Zagorec (A Croatian General) trying to convince two JNA senior soldiers to sell him arms for the Croatian special forces. It's a hidden camera and he's going on about war this, rebel that, Serbian terrorists etc, and between these clips you have clips of Tudjman publicly denying his government are secretly buying arms and want to talk peacefully with the Serbs in Knin.

Tudjman arrives after everyone has seen these clips and basically bows to the Serbs demands as they say they will release it to the public.

You'd have to laugh that this went on (loads of shit like this) but unfortunately it did lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched that in the summer Magic, just before going to Croatia. It's a brilliant series. Just up the road from where we stayed was a bombed out hotel and at resort down the road were a few battered hotels that we went in and wandered around. You could see that these places were beautiful in their day and the state they are now in was an eye opener. I've got some photos somewhere.

The town is called Kupari and is apparently where Yugolav military higher ups went for holidays. The beach was beautiful and very lively. It was used mainly by locals and while we were there we couldn't help but look at anybody above the age of thirty knowing that they were enjoying themselves in view of the results of horrific damage they may well have seen happen when they were younger.

Dubrovnik is good for signs of the war too. In fact Dubrovnik is brilliant, full stop.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was going to watch The Toughest Trade tonight until I realised the article I was reading about it was from March

http://www.balls.ie/football/david-b...-453453/250611

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an interesting documentary about Paul (the apostle) with David Suchet on iPlayer at the minute. I started watching it last night but was too tired and fell asleep.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a stunning recommendation that is.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to watch The Death of Yugoslavia at some point. I remember reading up on it a bit when I was in Ljubljana in their history museum a couple of years ago, before going down to Zagreb. The hostel manager in one of the places I stayed in Slovenia wasn't a big fan of Croatia generally, I got the impression*. Then this year when I went to Croatia I also went to Bosnia for a day trip to a place called Mostar, which was quite important during the conflict. It was a fascinating place, with plenty of building riddled with bullet holes. +1 on Dubrovnik by the way, amazing place.

*The overall impression I got was that nobody likes the Serbs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Mostar. I think it might have been Yev who said it was a shithole but I really enjoyed it there. It was bloody hot, I remember that much. We went to Montenegro too and it was beautiful. Probably second to Austria of the places I've visited in Europe.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Croatia is probably second to Slovenia for me, though there are standalone cities which I've preferred (Vienna being one of them). Our guide in Mostar told us it was the hottest place in Europe last summer, as they recorded temperatures around 50 degrees. I went in June and it was early 30s and both hot and humid, but not as much as Madrid in the summer which was in the early 40s.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was bang on 40c when we were in Mostar. It was high thirties for most of the two weeks in Croatia which was okay but 40 was my 'fuck this' point.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40-42 would have been in Madrid for me (and it was to an extent) but I was constantly moving around, in and out of buildings and the shade, so it was bearable. It was climbing the flights of stairs to the apartment, or carrying my backpack around when arriving/leaving that was a killer.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute lol, Lee and SP if you are interested in the Balkans then definitely read Trusted Mole. Watch the Death of Yugoslavia first so you get an overall picture.

I must admit the best part was when the UN were trying to negotiate a final peace treaty (Cessession of Hostilities Agreement), and the author is translating between the UN's General Rose who is with the Bosnians and Karadzic and his cronies in Pale. It takes 11 hours or something of back and forthing over wording of the document. Finally they agree on an absolute document but the UN read out the wrong version so they had to try and find the right one. Meanwhile the leaders of the BSA and Republika Sprska go in to a closed session for the umpteenth time to discuss stuff.

General Rose of the UN tells the author to interrupt and tell them they have the final and completed COHA agreement to read out.

The author bursts in and he expects to see them all agonising over maps and legal documents etc and he actually finds Karadzic and General Mladic playing chess with the army and other senior politicians cheering and jeering.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post

Watching this now with great difficulty. Amazed at how 'Western' Nairobi looked in the beginning footage.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...that was horrific.

Also at the Kenyans. 3.5 hours to finally go in and the army and SWAT end up killing each other. Then they both fuck off for hours before the Army go back in where another 5 of them are killed by 4 amateurs. It's only resolved 2 days later when they fucking shell the shopping mall and set fire to it.

By the way those 5 plain clothed police and 2 civvys need to get some sort of recognition. Absolute heroes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After listening to a JRE with Michael Dowd on (Which I'd highly recommend, he has great stories) I thought I'd check out 'The Seven Five', which is fucking awesome, it really makes you wanna be a cop in 80's New York

Oh and Kenny is a bigger scumbag than Mike.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there's a thread but I'm not finished it yet but still wanted to make this suggestion; Making a Murderer has utterly disgusting similarities to The Thin Blue Line.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed I haven't recommended 'Dear Zachary' in here yet. I recommend 'Dear Zachary.'

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloading:

Dear Zachary
    The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (about Chavez Coup)
    Fog of War
    World at War (ITV Mini series)

Fuck me mini series? It's got 26 episodes!

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bored so going to start watching World At War.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capturing the Friedmans is decent too.

What were you bored of? Dear Zachary? Keep watching it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No lol, bored of work.

The Revolution one about Chavez was short and sweet, hideous quality though and very little background info. If you didn't know about the 'revolution' and Chavez etc beforehand it's quite difficult to grasp what is going on. I'd imagine it'd be much better if you'd actually remembered it happening at the time and then seeing the truth. It's only 1hr 15 mins long though but it just goes to show you the effect a little pressure and propoganda can do to an otherwise stable and democratically elected government. Lol at the US for playing the cards.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifteen minutes into this 1916 Documentary that was bigged up because Liam Neeson was narrating, and all it screams so far is "made for Americans".

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Fifteen minutes into this 1916 Documentary that was bigged up because Liam Neeson was narrating, and all it screams so far is "made for Americans".
    Did you watch Rebellion? Was it any good?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Did you watch Rebellion? Was it any good?
    It was fucking Downtown Abbey set in early 20th century Dublin. Horrendous.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god. I was gonna watch it but I don't think I'll bother.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Oh god. I was gonna watch it but I don't think I'll bother.
    Give it an episode and see, but I found it a huge disappointment and that seemed to be the general consensus.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    After listening to a JRE with Michael Dowd on (Which I'd highly recommend, he has great stories) I thought I'd check out 'The Seven Five', which is fucking awesome, it really makes you wanna be a cop in 80's New York

Oh and Kenny is a bigger scumbag than Mike.
    Just watched this. The music is terrible and offputting, it's very oddly edited, and so much of what's appearing on screen is pointless filler, so it's just as well the story it's telling is absolutely mental and compelling. The most terribly put together brilliant thing I've ever watched.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just mainlined all six episodes of Jinx: Life & Deaths of Robert Durst.

Jesus fucking christ. I'm not sure what else to say about it, apart from if you've not seen it you should do so immediately. Don't read anything about it, certainly don't look up anything about Robert Durst just watch it, it's amazing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the same vein of really rather grim shit that I found in a Reddit thread the other day The Act of Killing is a fascinating window into an event I never really knew very much about. I'm also staggered that Herman (spoilers!) didn't get elected, he seemed a perfect candidate for public office.

I also watched the three Iceman things about Richard Kuklinski, excuse the pun but he is a chilling motherfucker. Surprisingly rational though, not the frothing psychopath or sadist that you might expect.Into the Abyss is up next, the last Werner Herzog thing I watched was him reading Where's Wally so I'm expecting something of a change in tone.

After all that I'm not sure, possibly a little clinical depression to round off the weekend.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    In the same vein of really rather grim shit that I found in a Reddit thread the other day The Act of Killing is a fascinating window into an event I never really knew very much about.
    I recommended that upthread. Brilliant isn't it.

You should watch the follow up, 'The Look of Silence'.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on the list.

The whole thing was a mental example of the victors, well, not even writing history, just rubbing everyones nose in it for 40 years. The scene with the guy who's dad had been dragged away and killed in the middle of the night and there he is watching them reminisce about it as if they'd been on a pub crawl or something. Just ridiculous.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched this last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446610/

BBC originally I believe and now on Netflix.

Very thorough, harrowing and moving stuff. Would highly recommend.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched 'Fog of War', which featured an interview with Robert McNamara, former US Secretary of Defence during the Cold and Vietnam wars. It was pretty terrifying, but extremely interesting to get a first person view of the shit that went down (kind of). It also shows what utter disrespect these fuckbags have for human life, and the huge levels of intelligence they possess. These are who rule the world. No messing.

EDIT: A lot of the reviews say it's an 'insight' in to the mind of one of the world's most powerful men (at the time), but that's not the impression I got at all. Sure, some stuff may have been sincere but I felt McNamara told us exactly what we wanted, or what he thought we wanted to hear.

"Don't answer the question you were asked, answer the question you wish you were asked"

When you compare him to some of our current politicians it's frightening how shit they are.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    102 Minutes that changed America on More 4. Always worth a watch. If you haven't seen it, watch it now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing to think how much footage there is of that. If that'd happened ten years prior, you'd have the news coverage and maybe a couple of shaky cams.