User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 240 of 261 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250 ... LastLast
Results 11,951 to 12,000 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if they don't as embodied voices.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Labour party has anyone who sounds normal. They all have proper nerd voices.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having looked through some of the results in more detail, the story seems to be that the Tories are getting smashed but Labour really do have an issue in some areas. In the more Remain-y type areas, in a general election, they're going to have to rely on the LDs or even Greens helping them out and then the path to an outright majority becomes that much more difficult. Meanwhile in the more Leave-y areas, the Tories are holding up a lot better so Labour will have to throw everything at those seats.

In Lab v LD and Lab v Green contests they're really not doing too well, which reflects their base popularity or lack of it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All our local councillors were either Tory, Lib Dem or Independent. I voted for one Lib and one Indepedent just as a guess.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Looking around I see North Norfolk has Con +5 and LD -6. What a country we are.
    Coming from Norfolk I can assure you that the Tories could ban pensioners from breathing and they’d still romp home there.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe people are still voting for these fuckers.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't most people always just vote the same way forever?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both the big parties have like a 25-30% base level that will never be breached. Unfortunately for the Tories, Johnson and Truss have tanked almost every swing voter. The hope is that the stink stays on them until the GE next year, because these fuckers need a long stint in Opposition to reset.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I think both the big parties have like a 25-30% base level that will never be breached. Unfortunately for the Tories, Johnson and Truss have tanked almost every swing voter. The hope is that the stink stays on them until the GE next year, because these fuckers need a long stint in Opposition to reset.
    Someone made an interesting point on Twitter that the Tories will still have their agendas pursued even if they get decimated because Labour have basically become them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Coming from Norfolk I can assure you that the Tories could ban pensioners from breathing and they’d still romp home there.
    Yep, can concur. It makes not a fucking jot if I even tried to vote tactically. Liz Truss would still have a massive fucking majority.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like someone is justifying their vote for Truss there.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour have become the Conservative Party who were the Labour Party anyway. Whoever wins, a million immigrants get in. Boris Johnson should be hanged for pissing his election victory up the wall.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Sounds like someone is justifying their vote for Truss there.
    Never voted for her since I moved into her constituency in 2015. When I lived in West Norfolk at least the Tory MP was from the area and actually tried to help make the place better for locals even if you didn’t always agree with his politics. Now all that happens is people get parachuted in from around the country because they are safe seats and they know they won’t lose them.

Case in point being Truss when she was PM being asked if she could guarantee the local hospital which is literally falling down would be rebuilt and she said that wasn’t something she had control over.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boris Johnson served his purpose, in his own eyes. He was always a lazy cunt so the day-to-day work required to lead a country was never his bag, especially for the lousy salary, hence his need to get the BBC chairman to sort him out Ł800k. If he went just before Partygate, he would have cemented his legacy as someone who saved the country from Bovid and sorted out Brexit, as he would have been numbed to the fallout if he was already out of office. He lived just long enough to see himself become the villain.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Labour have become the Conservative Party who were the Labour Party anyway. Whoever wins, a million immigrants get in. Boris Johnson should be hanged for pissing his election victory up the wall.
    The immigrants we realistically need anyway to keep the economy functioning as the boomers get old and sap all the money the country has?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same is true here. It's been a Tory safe seat forever.

For the Council Elections I kind of get it, because our local council is actually quite good. 2 of our Conservative councillors are local and constantly busy bodying on Facebook getting minor things done for moaning pensioners. Meanwhile the Labour bods live in Rochford and have never been heard from.

The local MP is a cunt though and I can't understand the loyalty at all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    The immigrants we realistically need anyway to keep the economy functioning as the boomers get old and sap all the money the country has?
    Alternatively, make it affordable for young people to move out of their parents houses and they may start having children again. As it stands we are heading for population shrinkage and none of us are getting a state pension.

The country is a fucking shambles.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lasting economic stagnation and inevitable ethnic conflict, but at least I can choose between lots of different places to fix my phone. Swings and roundabouts.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Lasting economic stagnation and inevitable ethnic conflict, but at least I can choose between lots of different places to fix my phone. Swings and roundabouts.
    Probably for the best we just rewind 300 years ago to when “We Ruled The Fucking World”

At least Brexit has fixed the issues with all the darkies and browns coming in though…

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Alternatively, make it affordable for young people to move out of their parents houses and they may start having children again. As it stands we are heading for population shrinkage and none of us are getting a state pension.

The country is a fucking shambles.
    Populations are shrinking everywhere, no? And isn’t that just as much to do with the relatively recent empowerment of Women/the realisation there are just as good if not better things to be doing with your time and money than saddling yourself with kids, as the things you list?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Economic development causes the shrinkage. Even China's is now, I'm not sure they're too arsed about empowerment of women.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done quite a bit of travelling recently to different places and what really strikes me is how much greater the social cohesion is everywhere else. There's absolutely no one, in England at least, buying into any kind of national story or feeling part of anything. It's quite hard to give examples without being misinterpreted or shot down, but it's such a striking lack of togetherness that we have. I think part of that comes from what Lewis is talking about and part comes from Thatcher and Blair's pro-American reforms.

Won't be fixed by having a more left wing government either, it's quite a deep cultural affliciton specific to us.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Community and development/affluence aren't really compatible.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Community and development/affluence aren't really compatible.
    True but even in the US they know what they are about and with the exception of Bernie Sanders and a few mad professors, they aren't in the business of apologising for it. Same in France, where they might be the biggest set of ponces you could possible imagine, but they know what they are and what they stand for. We feel like the hollowed-out result of a decades-long cost-cutting exercise - cultural (by Blair) and social (by the Tories).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that America is a good comparison.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Populations are shrinking everywhere, no? And isn’t that just as much to do with the relatively recent empowerment of Women/the realisation there are just as good if not better things to be doing with your time and money than saddling yourself with kids, as the things you list?
    The empowerment of women and birth control are undoubtedly part of it, but equally, people not being able to move out of their parents house until they're in their 30's will be making it worse.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 05-05-2023 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of childcare can't help either.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    The cost of childcare can't help either.
    There's a woman at work that has dropped to 25 hours a week because if she worked full time it would only cover the added childcare and petrol required to do so. It's mental.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cost of childcare because society has been hollowed out and there are so few extended families in the same place.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done quite a bit of travelling recently to different places and what really strikes me is how much greater the social cohesion is everywhere else. There's absolutely no one, in England at least, buying into any kind of national story or feeling part of anything. It's quite hard to give examples without being misinterpreted or shot down, but it's such a striking lack of togetherness that we have. I think part of that comes from what Lewis is talking about and part comes from Thatcher and Blair's pro-American reforms.

Won't be fixed by having a more left wing government either, it's quite a deep cultural affliciton specific to us.
    I’m not sure that’s true. Look at what happened when the Queen died and no doubt what will happen when Charles dies (for very different reasons as Wills is ushered in).

I know it’s pretty popular to knock Great Britain for many different reasons, but I’ve travelled a bit too and there aren’t many places I’ve been to that I’d rather live.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Queen represented a time when we did all buy into the country.

I wouldn't live anywhere else either, I love this place, it's just a mess at the moment.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Queen represented a time when we did all buy into the country.

I wouldn't live anywhere else either, I love this place, it's just a mess at the moment.
    I agree to an extent, but it's probably similar to Chelsea. Get a decent manager in who is up to the scale of the task and things will look much better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave this dump tomorrow if the opportunity were there.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why isn't the opportunity there (by that I mean why can't you make one) and where would you go?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why isn't the opportunity there (by that I mean why can't you make one) and where would you go?
    Having 2 young kids makes it very difficult as we'd have no support abroad and neither of us work in a field that would be attractive to another country. Plus, my wife doesn't share my desire to leave the country, sadly.

I'm not too sure where. Canada was the plan when I was at Uni. Possibly Australia.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 05-05-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one thing that the country has going for it. Australia is probably better for somebody with a useful occupation, like a doctor working in their superior ('privatised') healthcare system, but you would get twenty years out of it before most of the country spends half the year on fire.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking massive spiders too. Fuck that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wives never want to go, it's an inexorable truth in life.

I'd love to have moved to Australia. As it is I'll be moving to true blue Horsham [I looked it up, seems they've had a Tory MP since the 1830s] in the summer, and not the one is deepest South Australia, although that's probably not a bad thing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to move to a Scandinavian country but the chances of me being able to learn Norwegian to the standard required to practice medicine are less than zero.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a food thing? I've always imagined the Scandi countries would be pretty dull places to live, and bleak a lot of the time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold and bleak is my natural habitat.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but you already live in Norfolk.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Tories in Norway though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they've got their own dreadful, incompetent bigots in charge presumably but you don't speak the language to know about it. Ignorance is bliss.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with my choice of not being in the UK anymore. Standard of living and general services feel so much higher.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    All our local councillors were either Tory, Lib Dem or Independent. I voted for one Lib and one Indepedent just as a guess.
    Update: Indies gained 6, Greens gained 4, Lib Dems lost 4, Tories lost 5, Labour lost their only 1.

I found this info from the BBC but only that. I cannot find anywhere including the district council on who actually won. The local papers only article about it was all national results.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than the Blair era, it's been a Tory safe seat here since its inception. Out of 40 seats the Tories have lost 8 down to 14, Labour up 3 to 13, Greens with +4 up to 5 and Lib Dem +1(was 0).

We were very pro-Brexit around here too.

I'd say it's a very bad day for the Tory boys, but Labour shouldn't be getting all bullish about anything. They seem to be splitting those lost Tory seats rather than hoovering them up. It'd very much suggest a Lab/Lib coalition is coming, to me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour remain an embarrassment. With these absolute cunts in charge of the country, Labour should be storming home, in a desperate attempt to get them out ASAP. Even Jimmy would be wearing a red tie to work.

That this isn't happening, and they're just scooping up their fair share of the lost Tory seats is a pretty damning reflection of the (complete lack of) opposition that they are.

I voted for them, but I could have easily voted Lib Dem or just not bothered like 3/4 of my area did. I took no pleasure in voting for them at all.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 06-05-2023 at 06:13 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m surprised Labour are so confident. One of Starmer’s qualities is to keep his head. A lot of these vote swings are anti-Tory rather than pro-Labour, so there’s a very real danger a significant number could fuck off again before the GE.