Page 190 of 206 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,500 of 10299

Thread: The little things in life that fuck you off

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    10 minutes ago you were saying the brave corporations were trying to do all they could in the face of rising costs. As soon as that’s disproven you’ve decided to pose the argument as ‘any profit is evil’

It’s pathetic. Just say ‘I was wrong’ it’s not that hard.
    They're not trying to 'do all they can', they're trying to make money. Which is why they exist.

Wikipiedia describes profiteering thus:

Profiteering is a pejorative term for the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical.
    If so, then to be profiteering on crisps they'd have to be lying about what goes into it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People just want this stuff to be black, white and simple. Evil big business skinning the poor man. But it's nonsense. These companies run tight margins and try to deliver profit and keep customers happy. If they don't, then the share holders and the customers go elsewhere. It's not just a case of "GAHAHAHAHAHA I'm stealing 2 crisps a year from your multipack and pocketing the extra 2.3p per kilogram because all of our costs magically stay the same GAHAHAHAHA"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I was more upset they changed the shape of the mint aero, than the fact there’s definitely less of it.

Also RIP ricycles. I’d pay £4 a pack for them, just bring them back

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for what it’s worth, I would imagine if I was to get a job in an industry such as that I’d be doing these exact cost optimisations.

The world has evolved technologically and that’ll help them run simulations to find an effective price point and portion size.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should have a thread on food items that don't exist anymore. I'm still devastated they discontinued Heinz beef soup.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They're not trying to 'do all they can', they're trying to make money. Which is why they exist.

Wikipiedia describes profiteering thus:

If so, then to be profiteering on crisps they'd have to be lying about what goes into it.
    This entire topic was started by Lewis saying the sole cause of chocolate bars being smaller now is because of the sugar tax. That's absolute bollocks and always has been. I've pointerd that out over and over again across multiple industries and now we're here.

And just FYI Walkers have had several ads banned for being misleading so yeah I'm also right on that one. Sorry.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This entire topic was started by Lewis saying the sole cause of chocolate bars being smaller now is because of the sugar tax. That's absolute bollocks and always has been. I've pointerd that out over and over again across multiple industries and now we're here.
    That's not what he said at all. He said sugar targets and didn't say it was the sole cause. There is no sugar tax on food, that's only on soft drinks.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely hate how they fucked up all the fizzy drinks. Instead of removing all the delicious sugar from them to protect the absolute pondlife who drink 4 litres a day, they should have let me do an outreach campaign explaining the benefits of being all poncy guardian reader about it, and keeping them as an occasional treat.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corporations aren’t your friends and sucking them off is such a weird way of looking at the world.
    I feel your pain, this was particularly bizarre to me during the pandemic. Any criticism of or aspersions cast over the companies involved was met with the moronic chimes of BIG PHARMA!!!! LOL WUT AH BIG PHARMA!!! and even more bizarrely by the same people who'd be going in on McDonalds etc in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that corporations are my friends or anything, but also lol at 'corporations are EVIL!!!!'. If they want to cut their portions in half and increase their prices tenfold then so be it. I can always choose to not buy their shit.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are the chocolate companies all-in on profiteering when loads of other things have (until recently) barely increased in price in a decade?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big confectionary have got big pharma on payroll

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I know exactly what Cadbury is up to.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McDonald's could literally cut their menu down to double cheeseburger and chips and charge £10 for the privilege and all the wankers will still back up onto the roundabout waiting in the drive-thru queue. They know their audience.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should see the London ones on Friday and Saturday nights. They're like a cultural mecca for black and wannabe-black youth. Not sure they even order anything. They just want to be there.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe that's where the drugs live?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Maybe I should have just cried into the pack of remaining bars rather than complain

On another note mint clubs are still quality.
    Speaking of clubs. I picked up some Salted Caramel ones yesterday (never seen them before) and they're banging.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gold bars are the king of things in the small rectangular biscuit category.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Orange Clubs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Nope. Orange Clubs.
    That’s not even the best flavour of club bar.

For shame.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Orange Clubs.
    Have a long hard look at yourself.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Gold bars are the king of things in the small rectangular biscuit category.
    Chocolate butter biscuits.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I miss Club biscuits.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got accosted by a charity mugger whilst on my way for a shit, no mean feat in my own home. Annoyingly he had something in his hands the same solour as Evri's livery so I opened the door and then had to politilely wait for his spiel to get to the money part and claim I am skint.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just say "no thank you" and close the door.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm going for a shit mate" should have scared him off a return visit. At 6'8" or whatever your shits must be massive.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I just got accosted by a charity mugger whilst on my way for a shit, no mean feat in my own home. Annoyingly he had something in his hands the same solour as Evri's livery so I opened the door and then had to politilely wait for his spiel to get to the money part and claim I am skint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    They have always done it. Have you moved recently Boyd? They target the low income neighbourhoods apparently.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Jehovah's this morning, which I haven't had in years. I didn't realise they were still doing it. Felt like a proper 90s throwback, where it was so common that my mum put up a sign on the door saying "No Jehovah's Witnesses please".

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least those folk do cult properly.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    We have a Jehovah's this morning, which I haven't had in years. I didn't realise they were still doing it. Felt like a proper 90s throwback, where it was so common that my mum put up a sign on the door saying "No Jehovah's Witnesses please".
    I got a handwritten letter from them a while back. I assume they switched to that during covid times. Must be back on the doors now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beats the fake handwritten letters I get from Lib Dem council candidates. Sign me up.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    DONNED Beano lad.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was more the fact I was on my way for a shit at the precise moment he was at my front door (visible through the window). I live in Leyland, it's all low income neighbourhood here.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have let out a fart whilst making eye contract.

They'd have ran away. The wetter it was the faster they'd have run.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I got a handwritten letter from them a while back. I assume they switched to that during covid times. Must be back on the doors now.
    We got one of those too! It was like two A4 sides. Completely fucking insane.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing on the theme of shit radio. Heart (which is always on in my office) continually plays this song 'Never Gonna Not Dance Again'. It sounds old to me but in fact is brand new and by Pink, released in November. It's just been played for the third time since 8.30am today, as it is every day.

I thought well, this must be a MASSIVE current hit to be getting this much airplay, so looked up the charts. Now, having looked at the charts (with years old songs like Tom Odell - Another Love being in the top 20), it seems that the charts don't work in quite the same way that they used to, presumably thanks to streaming and the effects of crossover media. However, having been released just a month ago, this Pink song is currently charting at 75, and peaked some weeks ago at 46. In other words, it's not a big song at all.

So why are Heart playing it so relentlessly? Does it just speak to their particular (tragic) audience, or have the record company paid them £100 billion to keep pushing it in the hope that the top 40 may yet happen? Or is chart position no longer any guide at all as to how popular a new song is?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chart position is worthless now since it’s based on streams so the top 30 or so is just every song on the new Taylor Swift/Drake/BTS album.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why are Heart playing it so relentlessly? Does it just speak to their particular (tragic) audience, or have the record company paid them £100 billion to keep pushing it in the hope that the top 40 may yet happen?
    Is is not the other way around, don't radio stations licence music from the record companies/whoever? In which case new shitty music is much more affordable than anything anyone actually wants to listen to/go out and buy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chart position is worthless now since it’s based on streams so the top 30 or so is just every song on the new Taylor Swift/Drake/BTS album.
    If I remember rightly, when Ed Sheeran released his last album he temporarily occupied every spot in the top 10.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taylor Swift managed that a couple of months back during here whole, "I'm going to re-record all my songs because of legal reasons' phase.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember rightly, when Ed Sheeran released his last album he temporarily occupied every spot in the top 10.
    They changed the rules didn't they, so 1 artist could only ever have 3 in the top whatever? I read this on the BBC recently for some reason or other. Good old Ed got round it though as it didn't count 'collaborations' so he still had 9 in the top 30 or something daft like that at some point.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only chart worth a damn these days is Mike Reads heritage chart on talking pictures TV. The latest releases from the likes of dollar and the corgis, arbitrarily ordered by the former radio one DJ himself. Here's the latest one:

Quality, that.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is t'paus latest effort

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    The only chart worth a damn these days is Mike Reads heritage chart on talking pictures TV. The latest releases from the likes of dollar and the corgis, arbitrarily ordered by the former radio one DJ himself. Here's the latest one:

Quality, that.
    I used to get this retweeted into my twitter timeline for reasons too byzantine to go into. At the time it was hosted by Read's online radio vehicle which he subsequently seemed to fall out with / get sacked from. Even then, I assumed it was based on some kind of actual sales data. Is it really just the great man himself (who I have met, lol) putting things in the order he fancies? Spectacular if so.

Limahl, ex lead singer of Kajagoogoo, had a very long run at the top at that time.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to get this retweeted into my twitter timeline for reasons too byzantine to go into. At the time it was hosted by Read's online radio vehicle which he subsequently seemed to fall out with / get sacked from. Even then, I assumed it was based on some kind of actual sales data. Is it really just the great man himself (who I have met, lol) putting things in the order he fancies? Spectacular if so.

Limahl, ex lead singer of Kajagoogoo, had a very long run at the top at that time.
    I think there's a voting system used but I'm pretty sure he has the final say, lol.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the oldest child to her first concert in Manchester. Not ideal time of the year but the bands we wanted to see only come over every few years and both were on the same card so we went.

Train there was half an hour delayed and when it did turn up I was basically able to take a single step in from the door and that was it for room. Crammed in like sardines. Coming back was a little better. Reasonably full seating wise, but then we hit Stoke. As we pulled in there was a group of 20+ women all travelling together who piled onto our carriage and there was the comical situation of them taking up the entire walkway from one end to the other.

God speed to anyone travelling by train as it gets closer to Christmas.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No-one uses the trains anymore though due to covid, that's why we need to destaff the rail and reduce services

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it turned up. The last night bus I waited for decided to cancel at short notice.