User Tag List

Thread: Indyref 2: Electric Boogaloo

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indyref 2: Electric Boogaloo

May aswell start a new thread, the last one ended some poster's tenures here after the result did it not? On the back of a Brexit vote I think the SNP might finally achieve it's dream this time, but what does that mean? Do they have to start their own armed forces? Would MOD sensitive projects there be moved back here? Would it be simple for Scotland to rejoin the EU? Would the SNP rebrand? Would Irn Bru be subject to import taxes?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few of the questions that illustrate why it'll never happen.

I'm surprised they haven't gone big cold feet on it / started pushing for federalism instead, given they are simultaneously arguing Brexit to be a shambles.

I think Nicola knows it won't happen and is trying to set Boris up to have to BLOCK, or be perceived in Scotland to have blocked, a referendum.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they bottle it this time then they just deserve it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd vote to make Essex a Republic Nation at this point.

Or maybe we could get David Beckham in as king.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essex could probably have a better go at independence than Scotland, particularly if you tacked on Suffolk for the extra farmlands and tourism revenue.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mon Scotland. Make it happen.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't allowed to have one without Westminster allowing it, and we shouldn't allow it. All 'national' devolution should be reversed as well.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of self awareness from both extremes of this argument is going to be absolutely eye-watering.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think Brexit would have taught us something about that.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither side is 'extreme', and the supposedly sensible things have just played into separatist hands and brought us to this point (and will do again and again).

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problems with Brexit and the problems with Scottish independence are all but identical. The only conceivable reason to support one but not the other would be an emotional love or an emotional hatred of England. In other words, it's all about us.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or thinking that the EU is better than the UK. Which - on current form - is understandable, even if I don't necessarily agree.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The problems with Brexit and the problems with Scottish independence are all but identical. The only conceivable reason to support one but not the other would be an emotional love or an emotional hatred of England. In other words, it's all about us.
    Yep. It's hilarious. On the one hand you have wee Jimmy Krankie arguing against Brexit as we're better together then on the other hand she wants to leave the UK. If she just came out and said she hates the English enough to not care about any benefit of being in a union (and the 40-odd % who vote for it do too), then I might have more respect for it all. As it is and without shining a light on the true feelings, it might be the least tenable argument for leaving anything I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Yep. It's hilarious. On the one hand you have wee Jimmy Krankie arguing against Brexit as we're better together then on the other hand she wants to leave the UK. If she just came out and said she hates the English enough to not care about any benefit of being in a union (and the 40-odd % who vote for it do too), then I might have more respect for it all. As it is and without shining a light on the true feelings, it might be the least tenable argument for leaving anything I've ever heard.
    Their argument seems to be that Scotland voted to remain in the EU so they want to leave the UK and rejoin. Which is reasonable enough.

I dare say she also cry-screams FUCKING ENGLISH CUNTS YOU CAN TAKE OUR LIVES BUT YOU WILL NEVER TAKE OUR FREE PRESCRIPTIOOOOOOONS into the bathroom mirror every morning too, mind.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Or thinking that the EU is better than the UK. Which - on current form - is understandable, even if I don't necessarily agree.
    This was one of great con jobs the remain side put forward during the debate, obviously not as good as the bus, but the idea that the 5th biggest economy in the World desperately needed to be in bed with some of the shit pits of Europe to avoid us falling into obscurity is just an out and out lie.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their argument seems to be that Scotland voted to remain in the EU so they want to leave the UK and rejoin. Which is reasonable enough.
    It's not reasonable though, is it? 'Scotland' alone didn't vote for anything in the referendum as they weren't asked to. You might as well say Keith Vaz is allowed to move his house, grounds and rent boys back into the EU on that basis.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's not reasonable though, is it? 'Scotland' alone didn't vote for anything in the referendum as they weren't asked to. You might as well say Keith Vaz is allowed to move his house, grounds and rent boys back into the EU on that basis.
    We know how each area voted and a majority of Scottish people voted remain, so I would say it is reasonable. Not that I'm particularly arsed. I've never been to Scotland, probably never will go to Scotland, and them leaving would have zero impact on my life. They could leave because they're angered by us calling Neeps "Swede" for all I care.

But as it stands I think "Scotland wants to rejoin the EU" is a reasonable position.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which also boils down to just hating England.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The EU probably won't have them [Madrid says no senor] so that'll be double lol, also I assume the Orkneys/Shetlands will want to REMAIN in the UK, so will end up seceding from secessionist Scotland and rejoining the UK.

Didn't the SNP also base almost their entire economic policy/rationale for leaving being viable last time round on the bounty of the north sea oil reserves, which they are now committing to not use?

Good luck to them.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they do hate England. They would have to be nationalists for that, and the fact that they put more weight in the votes of foreign students than Scots living and working in England tells you that they don't have any concept of Scotland and the Scottish beyond 'Scotland' being a political entity to be controlled, like a bigger version of Liverpool City Council in the eighties (this is why the SNP always refer to 'the people of Scotland' rather than 'Scottish people'). When you look at them like that their apparent confusion over the logic of Brexit and independence makes more sense. It's just separatism, but separatism for a particular type of saddo, which is why the limit of their horizons is American-imported social causes and joining the European Union.

This also makes it very fragile. There is no real belief behind it. We could close the Scottish government down tomorrow and all of the payroll voters, neckbeards, and nineteen year old Celtic supporters would do absolutely nothing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Europe won't be that keen to have a other country they'll probably need to prop up eventually. I couldn't care less if the Scotch want out but I can't see it being viable unless they make some big cuts or raise a shitload of taxes. It also makes their coalition a bit shaky given they'll inevitably need to rely on oil/gas for revenue which can't be terribly popular with the weirdy beardies.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just want to escape Brexit. It’s been a shitstorm and they technically voted Remain as a nation so it’s a way out. A union of four countries having a referendum on something in which they singularly voted both ways was always going to be a clusterfuck. Fuck Dave Cameron.

Alas, Scottish independence and them rejoining the EU just won’t happen.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of genuine questions.

If they leave do they take their share of the national debt? If they leave could the rest of GB just say you aren’t using our currency?

Surely you say if you are the government you can have your referendum but if you want it and you do leave you agree to the two things above.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't they plan to just keep using the pound last time around? Which sounds like a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must already agree to take their share of debt or there's no way in a million years the first referendum would have happened. I dare say there is some disagreement on what their share is though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to stop caring. As soon as England declares its apathy, Sturgeon will fade into obscurity.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way the vote goes in her favour is if she pulls a Farage and resigns on a Yes vote.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could wave their share of the national debt off, but if they're using our currency (which we couldn't stop them doing) then lending would be impossible, and if they chose to start their own straight away then it would instantly collapse. They would have to be very, very stupid to walk away from their obligations there (or true believers, which they aren't).

Contrary to most Project Fear merchants I think the European Union would happily have them, and would bend the rules/ignore the Spanish to do so, since Scotland would give them every concession imaginable to join. That is where their problems would really start, because it would require a HARD BORDER with England, and then what remains of their productive economy either fails or moves down here. Everything else is relatively straight-forward by comparison. Even the submarines.