Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The superbowl!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's past it.

I don't mind him.

Bruce dislikes him because Peyton gets all the media attention and people claim he is the best despite, until Sunday, only having 1 ring compared to Brother Eli's 2.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The better brother.

He's BOTTLED a couple of Super Bowls but has most of the passing records now, amongst others.

Well past it though and if he doesn't retire now he wants his massive head looking at.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Now that I'm into American football, what is Peyton Manning about? You lot seem to dislike him/think he's shit. Is he just past it? Was he ever good (he seems to have some records)? Is he just a twat?
    He is one of the best ever but has had too many surgeries on this throwing arm now and just can't get any power into the ball any more. As good as the mental aspect of his game is (he was probably the best of all time in this regard) his lack of throwing ability means he's almost a liability now.
    I more dislike the media wankathon that surrounds him (his Dad is an ex player and his brother is QB for the Giants so the hype is a given) rather than actually disliking him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Giggles on this. Peyton himself is one of the best ever and seems a rather good person away from football. Dislike the hype and media wankathon over them all, though the look on his brothers face as it dawned that Peyton had his second ring was priceless.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it was.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody explain the NARRATIVE of this to me? This 'Cam Newton' (that sport monopolises shit names) appears to have crushed everything all season, so did he BOTTLE IT, or is he just not as good as he thinks he is?
    He thinks he's the dogs bollocks and it came across as the rest of the team believed in their own hype too. They had 2 weeks to prepare for the game and came in offering no surprises and did not deviate from their plan. He wasn't very good but the defense he faced didn't allow him to do anything. Things like not chasing after his own mistake/fumble, or being willing to put his body on the line like his defense were doing, were very noticeable.

They've been crushing teams all year but it looked like they expected to turn up and just win. He is just a massive bell end though. He will snatch any flags/scarfs/jerseys out the crowd that away fans bring to the Panthers stadium and he'll rip them up/throw them away. He often takes time outs late in games just so he can go off and do a lap of honour for himself and 'dab' on people. 35% bottle job, 65% defense stopping him.

Now that I'm into American football, what is Peyton Manning about? You lot seem to dislike him/think he's shit. Is he just past it? Was he ever good (he seems to have some records)? Is he just a twat?
    He's one of the top QBs of all time. Probably the best at reading the game there has been. He's a little bit tarnished by bottling a superbowl, and receiving the same treatment the Panthers just got, in another. Unfortunately he's now 39 in a league surrounded by players in their mid-late 20's. He's lost his arm power and ability to move, but his smarts got him around that for the most part. His glory years were at the Colts but we're talking 8ish years ago now. Probably in the top 4/5 QBs ever.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Peyton as a man seems really likeable, not sure how anyone could dislike him. And he was the best of all time. Well past it now though and does need to call it a day.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone said on a podcast today, spot the difference.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching that I looked up Super Bowl 32, and this is genuinely insane:

Elway's touchdown play involved a fake handoff to Davis, who was previously taken out of the game during the drive because the onset of a migraine headache after being inadvertently tripped by LeRoy Butler had severely impaired his vision. But head coach Mike Shanahan decided to send him into the game for the 3rd-down play, believing that the Packers would not be fooled by a fake handoff without Davis on the field. Davis later said his vision was so impaired that he was afraid Elway would call an audible at the line and try to hand him the ball.[citation needed] Despite his blurred vision, Davis perfectly executed the play, drawing the Green Bay defense into the middle of the line as Elway rushed to the right and into the end zone completely untouched. By the second half, Davis had taken migraine medication, and his vision had returned to normal, allowing him to play the rest of the game.

What a guy.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gutted at the time but hard not to respect Davis in retrospect, he was a beast.
    The fact he's so close to the hall of fame, and will probably get in in the coming years, after such a short career just shows how dominant he was.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post

Elway's touchdown play involved a fake handoff to Davis, who was previously taken out of the game during the drive because the onset of a migraine headache after being inadvertently tripped by LeRoy Butler had severely impaired his vision. But head coach Mike Shanahan decided to send him into the game for the 3rd-down play, believing that the Packers would not be fooled by a fake handoff without Davis on the field. Davis later said his vision was so impaired that he was afraid Elway would call an audible at the line and try to hand him the ball.[citation needed] Despite his blurred vision, Davis perfectly executed the play, drawing the Green Bay defense into the middle of the line as Elway rushed to the right and into the end zone completely untouched. By the second half, Davis had taken migraine medication, and his vision had returned to normal, allowing him to play the rest of the game.

What a guy.
    Video on it here http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...-Terrell-Davis

Also has the "this one's for John" in it from Pat Bowlen that was referenced by Elway on Sunday

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw on MMQB yesterday that Davis averaged the better part of 150 yards rushing over 7 playoff appearances.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all makes me feel so old. My wife and I run 2-3 ultra marathons a year and are in better shape than almost everyone we know. But I went to high school with Peyton Manning and he is the modern American embodiment of "broken old man". What's worse is that he was either three or four years behind me and I can't really remember which is accurate.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post

What a guy.
    You should watch the TD A Football Life, it's great.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you see all those @Mahow? Do you have GamePass?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Where do you see all those @Mahow? Do you have GamePass?
    I pirated them all.

They're all on Youtube as well though.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy days. I'll stick one on now.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watching the Brown's '95 one now. What Packers are covered @Mahow? I presume there's Ice Bowl but any modern-ish?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Football_Life

Lombardi is about it.

The only one I've skipped is Tebow because he didn't deserve one.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That crew of guys with Belichick in Cleveland is unreal. I'd forgot most of them were there, some assembly of talent.