Page 47 of 69 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 3415

Thread: The EU Referendum thread - sponsored by Harold's YouTube videos

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ask, it'll only make you angry.

In other news the woman at the till in Sainsburys, when I told her I'd been up all night watching the coverage, looked at me like I'd said I was out grooming cub scouts and twisting kittens in half.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone made a point earlier on BBC Radio Scotland about "AHA! But it wasn't 52% of the electorate was it?! Ohhhhh no. It was 52% of 72%! That isn't the whole country!"

Imagine that coming from a Scottish Dr Alan Statham. It was a beautiful moment.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lord Ashcroft results are interesting. Particularly the main reasons for voting, where sovereignty was the main reason for leaving (immigration second), and where less leavers appear to have bought the Turkey shit than remainers bought into becoming 'isolated'. Who are the deluded cunts now, lads?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    Apparently under 30s turnout was 29%.

Wankers.
    About eight of them, probably. You suspect these are the type of people who didn't know you could postal vote.

Even if we're generous and said that 75% of a 29% turnout voted for remain, you'd still be looking at less than one in four under 30s who actually bothered to go down to the polling station to vote to stay.

The argument that "the old have dragged the young out of Europe" clearly doesn't stack up in this context. If it was that important, the ignorant cunts should turn up and vote then shouldn't they.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Young screwed The Young.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The Lord Ashcroft results are interesting. Particularly the main reasons for voting, where sovereignty was the main reason for leaving (immigration second), and where less leavers appear to have bought the Turkey shit than remainers bought into becoming 'isolated'. Who are the deluded cunts now, lads?
    I was looking at this too. Ultimately the sovereignty issue seems to have been the big vote winner - whether that's in the guise of "making your own laws", "controlling your own borders" or "having little or no choice in further expansion or transfer of power". No doubt there will be many on the remain side who will be determined to try and narrowly define this as "immigration", which would be deeply unfortunate.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    About eight of them, probably. You suspect these are the type of people who didn't know you could postal vote.

Even if we're generous and said that 75% of a 29% turnout voted for remain, you'd still be looking at less than one in four under 30s who actually bothered to go down to the polling station to vote to stay.

The argument that "the old have dragged the young out of Europe" clearly doesn't stack up in this context. If it was that important, the ignorant cunts should turn up and vote then shouldn't they.
    I'm not sure if I saw it on here or Twitter but there was that story floating about that thousands turned up to Glastonbury expecting there to be random polling stations set up for them. If that's the stupidity on display then they're better off not voting anyway.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol it's all KICKING OFF BIG TIME on my Facebook, arguments left right and centre. Mostly from the remainists. Anyone who has put up that they are pleased with the result are immediately attacked. Much like the #the45 cunts.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like the continental breakfast types are about to cave in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Lol it's all KICKING OFF BIG TIME on my Facebook, arguments left right and centre. Mostly from the remainists. Anyone who has put up that they are pleased with the result are immediately attacked. Much like the #the45 cunts.
    There's a post-democratic world developing, where certain sections of the electorate appear to be convinced that the other side must have been conned into voting as they did and are furious as a result.

You only had to look at Tim Farron or Caroline Lucas when they were on the BBC this morning. It was fucking bizarre.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unions have come out in support of Corbyn.

Marvellous.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at Glastonbury (refuelling the booze at the tent while we speak) and of our group of 4 we are all remain. I voted by proxy, my mates GF voted postal and the other two applied well in advance for postal votes only to never receive them and get fobbed off when querying it. They are regular voters too, not the nobbers questioning pencils.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36620201

More homegrown players = the march to 2022 World Cup glory starts now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sky News sez that the Germans (out of the Holocaust) want to make us an 'associated partner country'. It will be interesting to see how far they go with that, but, even in its weakest form, that is the sort of status that, had they just offered it originally, we would more than likely have voted to stay in. They are shitting themselves. Also:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck does 'associated partner country' status entail?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stay in the EU and Boris is PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see, but the point is that they clearly aren't going to act like knobheads to prove a point. In other news, Nick 'Cleggers' Clegg is seething.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just catching up on Twitter from earlier (I didn't look at it all night) and the level of seething is absolutely incredible.

The idea that "the old" have somehow shafted "the young" by refusing to vote the way the latter want them to seems to be particularly prevalent, alongside shouts of SHAME and DISGRACE.

Even if I'd wanted to remain, it would almost have been worth it to see the mask slip with some of these cunts.
    Does our generation just have a higher proportion of toys-out-the-pram, bitter, bastards?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sky News sez that the Germans (out of the Holocaust) want to make us an 'associated partner country'. It will be interesting to see how far they go with that, but, even in its weakest form, that is the sort of status that, had they just offered it originally, we would more than likely have voted to stay in. They are shitting themselves. Also:

Toggle Spoiler
    I think the metaphor in the dating world is not acting like a pussy and standing up to women counterintuitively actually results in you getting way more action and respect / power within your relationships.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a post-democratic world developing, where certain sections of the electorate appear to be convinced that the other side must have been conned into voting as they did and are furious as a result.

You only had to look at Tim Farron or Caroline Lucas when they were on the BBC this morning. It was fucking bizarre.
    I like this. Did you take this from some article / thesis I could read into?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus.

Dry your eyes and pull yourself together, for fuck sake.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just realised that we don't really have anywhere left to go in terms of left-wing seethes. Unless they bring back hanging, this is probably it.

Let's bring back hanging.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do these people think they've actually lost?

It strikes me that the disconnect between the impression they have and the reality is canyon sized.

I was leaning towards leave but as I said last night wasn't convinced, so didn't see it through, but fully expected remain to win anyway and wouldn't have been sobbing into my English breakfast had that transpired to be the case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see, but the point is that they clearly aren't going to act like knobheads to prove a point. In other news, Nick 'Cleggers' Clegg is seething.
    30% of Lib Dems voted to leave, according to Ashcroft. Given how pro-EU they are, that's a right laugh.

I think one of the obvious changes post-vote is that the campaign rhetoric falls away. We've voted to leave, these lads have domestic elections coming up where they'd be advocating that they shaft their own industry to prove a point. You can't imagine it would do much for a domestic audience. The concern will always be that they'll be terrified of giving Britain a 'soft landing' in case it emboldens further referenda or Eurosceptic parties, but then if they're going to do that it amounts to nothing more than a distasteful policy of coercion on existing members so fuck them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shearer The 2nd View Post
    Does our generation just have a higher proportion of toys-out-the-pram, bitter, bastards?
    Social media becomes an echo chamber for this shite, and reaffirms the bitterness because there's a hoard of people who agree with you. You only need to look at how people are convinced that a Twitter trend is reflective of 'real change', only for said change to be decisively rejected by everybody else when they're exposed to it. See: Corbyn's election and where things are for him now. Exactly as predicted as outside said echo chamber.

I can't comment on how good or otherwise certain newspapers were forty years ago, but you get the impression that papers like the Guardian have taken up the embittered cause with some relish these days. I don't get what they're trying to achieve by constantly making their readership feel like they're quite correct to hold grievances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    I like this. Did you take this from some article / thesis I could read into?
    It's just my assessment of things over the last few years.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hit peak point with Miband's loss, they simply couldn't understand it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just realised that we don't really have anywhere left to go in terms of left-wing seethes. Unless they bring back hanging, this is probably it.

Let's bring back hanging.
    I hate banging on about Labour (I really do), but I just don't see what the party exists for right now. Outside your major urban areas where there's a bourgeois liberal viewpoint, what does it have to offer to anybody else? It's routed in Scotland, it refuses to run in Northern Ireland, the Welsh have decisively rejected the official Labour line on the EU and the old Labour heartlands in England are surely facing open 'rebellion' against legacy Labour voting based solely on this.

You can't envisage the old Labour heartlands voting for them again when they're so emphatically dismissed the official party line, which in years past would have been sufficient to bring the vote out alongside a solid ground operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    What do these people think they've actually lost?

It strikes me that the disconnect between the impression they have and the reality is canyon sized.

I was leaning towards leave but as I said last night wasn't convinced, so didn't see it through, but fully expected remain to win anyway and wouldn't have been sobbing into my English breakfast had that transpired to be the case.
    It's somewhat strange. There's no emotional connection to the European Union as an institution, so my assumption (perhaps wrong) is that people think there's going to be economic armageddon and have somewhat bought into the pro-remain argument that a vote to leave is a vote for "Nigel Farage's Britain". They're therefore expecting their friends from outside the UK to be deported within the week.

Anyone with any sense can see that nothing's going to change for at least two and a half years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It hit peak point with Miband's loss, they simply couldn't understand it.
    It's more than that. It's the genuine fury that people would vote against, as they see it, their own self-interest. It's not that people didn't vote for Miliband, it's that they went and voted for the Conservatives. There's also this great belief that if you engage non-voters, then you've solved the problem. Not only does it provide a comfort blanket - your message isn't wrong or ill-received, it's just not reaching people - it prevents having to address the real issues.

If you want to see what the great unwashed actually think, just take a look at those who came out yesterday to vote for Brexit when they usually wouldn't bother for a standard general election. They're probably right-wing and naturally UKIP supporters before they'd ever consider voting for a Labour party run by a boring bloke with a beard and a fetish for unilateral nuclear disarmament.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/midlandstod...4253730714761/

"It's been the best day of my life today"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremy Corbyn is the worst politician in the history of these isles. He's no things to no men.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Orwell
    The mentality of the English left-wing intelligentsia can be studied in half a dozen weekly and monthly papers. The immediately striking thing about all these papers is their generally negative, querulous attitude, their complete lack at all times of any constructive suggestion. There is little in them except the irresponsible carping of people who have never been and never expect to be in a position of power. Another marked characteristic is the emotional shallowness of people who live in a world of ideas and have little contact with physical reality. Many intellectuals of the Left were flabbily pacifist up to 1935, shrieked for war against Germany in the years 1935-9, and then promptly cooled off when the war started. It is broadly though not precisely true that the people who were most “anti-Fascist” during the Spanish civil war are most defeatist now. And underlying this is the really important fact about so many of the English intelligentsia – their severance from the common culture of the country.

In intention, at any rate, the English intelligentsia are Europeanized. They take their cookery from Paris and their opinions from Moscow. In the general patriotism of the country they form a sort of island of dissident thought. England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during “God save the King” than of stealing from a poor box.
    That about covers it, and he wrote it in 1941. This is giant kick in the bollocks to their identity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Jeremy Corbyn is the worst politician in the history of these isles. He's no things to no men.
    Agreed. The problem, of course, is that they can't get rid of him.

That about covers it, and he wrote it in 1941. This is giant kick in the bollocks to their identity.
    That's excellent.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yevrah

I worked in investment banking (institutional sales) in the City roughly 15 years ago. My email inbox has exploded this morning from former colleagues who think the entire reason for their subset of the industry to exisit in London is gone. Not the entire financial services industry but segments that grew there because of the old forex markets, English language, and ability to be the link between the US and Europe.

No clue if they are right or not - an industry that size is not going to simply vanish, but their clients in the EU can't take the half decade long legal uncertainty. The panic is worse than the crash. It has been published in multiple places so I'll attach the email I got forwarded from someone at JP Morgan along with a "we're fucked." Which may be how a lot of people who don't work with the "local industry" feel.

Britain voted yesterday to begin a new, independent relationship with the European Union. This decision is a seminal moment in European politics and in the history of the United Kingdom. J.P. Morgan has 16,000 employees in the U.K. We are extremely proud of the work they do and our long history in the country. Regardless of today’s outcome, we will maintain a large presence in London, Bournemouth and Scotland, serving local clients as we have for more than 150 years. The framework of the U.K.’s engagement with the EU, including trade agreements, will be negotiated over a period of years. For the moment, we will continue to serve our clients as usual, and our operating model in the U.K. remains the same. In the months ahead, however, we may need to make changes to our European legal entity structure and the location of some roles. While these changes are not certain, we have to be prepared to comply with new laws as we serve our clients around the world. We will always do our best to take care of our people and do the right thing during times of change. We recognize the potential for market volatility over the next few weeks and we are ready to help our clients work through it. As of today, there are no changes to the structure of our clients’ relationships with JPMorgan Chase or their ability to work with our firm, but again this may change in the coming months or years. We are hopeful that policymakers will recognize the immense value created through a continued open economic engagement between the U.K. and EU members. As negotiations offer more clarity over the coming months, we will communicate with you and with our clients regarding any relevant changes. Jamie Dimon, Daniel Pinto, Mary Erdoes

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tl;dr MASSIVE REDUNDANCIES.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orwell was a bit good.

Airstrip One.

I assume there must have been things he was wrong about as well.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Snow is having a MELTDOWN on Channel 4.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Snow is having a MELTDOWN on Channel 4.
    The state of his Twitter timeline: https://twitter.com/jonsnowC4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like my entire Facebook friend list, including people from on here, are completely deluded about what this vote was about.

The amount of 'we will welcome foreigners in my house' and calls for protests and riots is pathetic.

Young people in Britain really are shites, and have lost touch with the real world. All incredibly bigoted without knowing it, demanding to reverse a democratic decision because it didn't go the way they wanted it to.

I'm pleased we left and I'm looking forward to the future.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Tl;dr MASSIVE REDUNDANCIES.
    What are the best bits from your timeline?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now then, Molton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hallo

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-...to-join-the-eu

Now then, ignoring the rest of it; how exactly would they join the Schengen Zone?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you all need new passports now?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Scotland votes one way and we get dragged the opposite way ... I hope the "No" voters realize things will never change unless we gain our independence
    Posted from Canada.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Self on Channel 4 now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to get him on suicide watch.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so good. Everyone I find annoying is in meltdown.

Nothing will even happen ffs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is the absolute embodiment of the metropolitan liberal intelligentsia. Bad times for him. I wish he wasn't such a prick. I don't look forward to Stewart Lee's reaction.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also relate to the palpable sense of grief that is now pouring out of the remain side. It is a sad state of affairs, but the grief (and anger) should be aimed at how this has been allowed to happen, rather than the perceived great unwashed who have foisted it upon the chattering classes.