User Tag List

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Uni Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apparently have two sets of interviews for the MSc program, but then business schools operate differently.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick help from you forriners here. I'm doing a marketing research project where I need to gauge interest for a foreign brand entering the Swedish market, so I need tips. Give me a few "well-profiled" brands. My fallback is KFC or Domino's, but "restaurants" are a bit boring.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uber seems like a really good idea. It'd be a really interesting shout, because they have a quite non-traditional model and they're moving into a very traditional sector.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Uber. It's amazing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trained in this shit and the ones they love are things like hair shampoos, toothpaste etc - products everyone uses, but where their consuming habits are quite hard to break and there's already a clearly defined range of such products in the local market. The brand is therefore everything because let's face it, all toothpaste is pretty much the same. With Uber the attraction is less the brand than the actual product diferentiation.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my ass a counselling placement

I'm also getting my own counselling, which is fun. Genuinely it is. It's fucking fascinating working stuff out. Counsellor has a pretty easy job too as it's mostly just for my own personal growth rather than anything being a huge issue for me. We have to see a counsellor for at least 20 hours to become one ourselves, just to make sure that there's no ongoing issues which might trigger us if someone talks about it in a session.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uber was a total godsend when we were in the US this summer. Cost around $4 to get to restaurants within a couple of miles and meant we could drink without worrying about how to get back to the hotel. We really missed it in the states that didn't have it. A 5 minute taxi to the airport in Vegas cost $40, whereas in LA we paid $12 for a 15 minute Uber to LAX.

I use it whenever I visit friends in London too - there's just no contest between it and regular taxis. It's quicker, cheaper, more convinient and the drivers aren't arseholes (usually). Taxi companies are on borrowed time.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Quick help from you forriners here. I'm doing a marketing research project where I need to gauge interest for a foreign brand entering the Swedish market, so I need tips. Give me a few "well-profiled" brands. My fallback is KFC or Domino's, but "restaurants" are a bit boring.
    I assume it has to be a brick-and-mortar place or some sort of consumable, because any consumer durable will end up there one way or another.

How about Bass Pro Shops - there's a strong outdoorsy side to Swedish culture, nej?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I assume it has to be a brick-and-mortar place or some sort of consumable, because any consumer durable will end up there one way or another.

How about Bass Pro Shops - there's a strong outdoorsy side to Swedish culture, nej?
    I'm not totally clear on the exact rules, because we were considering Uniqlo even though they've started shipping here about 6 months back.

Fishing could work. Such an American looking website.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expedited through to the final round of my MSc application, and have a final round interview for my MBA on Friday.

Fuck yes, gentlemen. Fuck. Yes.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, @Bernanke: they do a lot more than just fishing gear. It encompasses all sorts of outdoors-y stuff (including selling guns in 'murrica). The stores are an attraction in themselves.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got both the MSc and MBA offers with scholarships. I really appreciate those of you who took the time to help out with my application essays.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's outstanding news. Which one are you going to take?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already accepted the MSc offer - given my (lack of corporate/real) work experience, and the work terms built into the MSc, it makes the most sense from a future employability standpoint. It's also a really, really cool program blending international work experience, case-based learning, and (probably) the best Career Management team in the country.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over 350 likes on Facebook as well. Disgusting.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Article due tomorrow. Gave it to my advisor on Friday and so far he has managed to review two paragraphs, which need 'significant rewrite,' his only comment say.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How/why does an article have a due date? Is it part of your assessment?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applied to Stanford last night. Watch out Mok, here I come.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you have to be Asian (or pass as Asian like Mokkers) to get into the big Western ones?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Berkeley is quite Asian (I applied there too last night) but Stanford seems pretty diverse.

MokBull, did you have to write all those absurd supplemental essays for Stanford? What is the most significant challenge that society faces today? (50 word limit)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They want you to tweet it, Spoon (ugh).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Muslims. Muslims. Muslims. Muslims. Muslims...'

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    How/why does an article have a due date? Is it part of your assessment?
    It is for a Symposium. Biggest deal in the Combustion community, so my advisor wants all of us to submit something to increase his street cred.

Word limit is 5800 words. I gave him a 6000 word document and he gave me back a 6400 one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm going to apply here. It looks crazy but I think it would be pretty cool. I did a Skype interview with them last night (at their request - I haven't even finished the application either) and it went well, though I couldn't sort out the cameras and she had to talk to my feet for 45 minutes.

That all might be irrelevant, though, because I hear from Columbia tomorrow. There's no way I got in. There's no way...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    I think I'm going to apply here. It looks crazy but I think it would be pretty cool. I did a Skype interview with them last night (at their request - I haven't even finished the application either) and it went well, though I couldn't sort out the cameras and she had to talk to my feet for 45 minutes.

That all might be irrelevant, though, because I hear from Columbia tomorrow. There's no way I got in. There's no way...
    Remember reading about that one. Looks interesting although I'm not sold on the computer based shit they seem to be all about. If you want to go 'crazy' go for something like New College of Florida or St. John's College.

Columbia was the early admissions thing right? I take it that's your favorite of the lot?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't much convinced on the computer stuff either but talking to this girl about it convinced me somewhat.

Yeah. Most of my friends, if they applied early, are finding out on the 15th, I think I'm the first one out of all of us.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where your SATs etc. in the ballpark? I would assume someone with two Professors as parents is a shoe-in.

Do they still require you to know how to swim?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SATs were probably slightly on the low end but definitely in the range. I also know how to swim, though I don't think they require it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The supplemental essays were pretty fire. Make them unique without being the kid that overdoes it

"In the beginning i was a fetus. But now, through sheer determination and hard work, i am LEO"

Good luck man. Is that Minerva thing an online school? Why would you ever do that?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not an online school, the classes are just on computers using this interface they've developed (she called it "Skype on steroids"). No campus but they do all live together in dorms, and use each city as their campus more or less.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd lose a lot of networking potential through that, and also lose a decent amount of the college atmosphere. I'm not a huge fan of 'experimental' universities at all, its good until youre in high school but past that point you really need to be on a campus.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word "networking" makes me uncomfortable but yeah, part of me definitely agrees with you. Another part sees the list of cities and knows that it's what I've always been dreaming of, and the education sounds pretty interesting. I don't think I'd choose it over somewhere like Pomona though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Networking is BS and you definitely don't need to be on a fucking campus. Students in every other country in the world manage just fine without one.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Networking is BS? What planet do you live on?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as you mate, same as you. It's not like Spoonsky will be aiming to get a job in a bank or any other field that works that way.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my advisor gone for the month and me leaving for vacation next Wednesday, I really don't feel like doing anything.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is probably something to be said for sucking up to academics (especially if he has post-graduate study in mind), but yeah, he doesn't need to be going full-Luca.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that note, I've just been assigned an exchange term at USydney. I say assigned, but I mean that my top choices (LSE and NUS) weren't available, so USydney is my top choice. NHH is also on my list because of how economics/finance heavy it is, but I'd rather not go back to Europe.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being able to maintain a network of professional connections is important no matter what job sector you're going for

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I want to call you a wanker for that, Mokbull, you're probably right. Look at those of us railing against the idea - Lewis, Pepe, me - all feckless wasters.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, how'd the Columbia decision go?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    As much as I want to call you a wanker for that, Mokbull, you're probably right. Look at those of us railing against the idea - Lewis, Pepe, me - all feckless wasters.
    I mean, i'm shit at "networking". I'd rather just get by on skill, but then i see a lot of my friends who aren't as skilled as me get better internships/jobs than me, and it's because of connections they have. It's a skill you gotta develop

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You go to just about the best/richest university in the world. That means 1) many people will have pre-existing 'professional connections'; 2) there are people around worth 'networking' with. It's hardly typical.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'd say it is pretty typical. Getting hired/interviews because you know someone who can put a word in is pretty common.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously people get interviewed/hired because they know people. But 'networking' (which is not the same as simply meeting people) is simply not going to be that productive for the vast majority of students.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to live in abject poverty, or something close to it, if it means no fucker can ever accuse me of having 'networked' for a single second in my life.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deferred. Fuck me, not even the closure of a rejection.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finish all my sodding applications by January, then wait till April for decision-making time. It's not a bad result as it opens up a lot of options for me and might be better money-wise if I do get into Columbia, but I just want to be done with it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does 'deferred' mean in this context? Can you network around it?