User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie is dead.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Led Zeppelin are bigger than Bowie (The Who aren't), especially in America; but there are three of those left, so they would have to go in a plane crash to get this amount of mourning.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some cunt on the One Show has travelled from Cornwall to some shit gathering in Brixton. Says he and his daughter cried down the phone to one another this morning. Alright. I'm only watching this shit for the FA Cup draw.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women everywhere will lose the plot when Madonna dies, inexplicably because as far as I can see she has literally no talent and hasn't done anything good (or well) in her entire career.

Did they ask Ian Wright for his views on David Bowie?

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cunt really is annoying that used to be on blue Peter.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at us not being a key ball.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Paul McCartney is going to live to about 104yrs old.
    He's already dead.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell Eastleigh or Bolton away.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, we're unlikely to see a popstar snuff it as huge as Michael Jackson.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beiber suicide.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody older than me has heard of Justin Bieber (even I can't name a single song by him), which plays into the thing about baby boomers again. They run the world.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Bowie will be bigger than Jagger, over here anyway. Jagger is Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones, but Bowie is everything gone with one person. Its bigger news because most people didn't know he was ill, plus surely he's surely had more no.1s than the big rock bands?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a bit of a shock to read about this on twitter this morning.

For me, this David Bowie was a big part of my childhood

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I think Bowie will be bigger than Jagger, over here anyway. Jagger is Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones, but Bowie is everything gone with one person. Its bigger news because most people didn't know he was ill, plus surely he's surely had more no.1s than the big rock bands?
    I like Bowie as much as the next man but Jagger is far bigger. Sir Elton will be another big one.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waters and Gilmour too. Yes I know Mason is still alive but who cares?

Tom Jones?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On an international level, Jagger blows him out the water. Bowie had two number one singles in America and his top album was the most recent one, which got to number two. The Rolling Stones had so many number ones in both categories that I can't be bothered to count the exact figure. They were probably more successful there than here.

EDIT: I missed the "over here" bit. I guess with my closing sentence I'm agreeing with you a bit.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post

Tom Jones?
    Jones will bury us all.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post

Tom Jones?
    The sort of people who will get carried away by Roger Waters' death are the same people who have spent the last twenty years pretending Syd Barrett was the good one, so they won't know what to do.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why we'd be talking about the effect on America, anyway. Otherwise we might as well start talking about which country singers dying will have more of an impact.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The sort of people who will get carried away by Roger Waters' death are the same people who have spent the last twenty years pretending Syd Barrett was the good one, so they won't know what to do.
    Anyone who thinks Barrett was anything other than a steaming pile of shit would probably be too off their head to even notice if one of their own kids were dead, let alone Roger Waters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why we'd be talking about the effect on America, anyway. Otherwise we might as well start talking about which country singers dying will have more of an impact.
    Fair enough, but if you sub out America in my post for pretty much any country the point is much the same. The Rolling Stones are/were huge on a global scale only really beaten by the likes of The Beatles and maybe Elvis.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People dying doesn't have an 'impact', anyway, especially if their creative output is long behind them. If Paul McCartney died tomorrow then all we'd lose is a load of fucking shit choruses of Hey Jude (a shit song to begin with) the next time the Queen has an anniversary.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A twat I used to work with (a ginger no less) posted something along the lines of 'Ground control to major tom - RIP Bowie ' on facebook. The same person that less than a year ago misattributed Under Pressure to I don't even remember who. I'm sure you're suuuuuper sad dude.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vanilla Ice?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    People dying doesn't have an 'impact', anyway, especially if their creative output is long behind them. If Paul McCartney died tomorrow then all we'd lose is a load of fucking shit choruses of Hey Jude (a shit song to begin with) the next time the Queen has an anniversary.
    Agreed.

A current artist dying is weird. Maybe because Bowie just released a couple of albums and wasn't in hiding/whoring himself out on television/battling some shit disease for years.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite sad about this. I think, if he knew he was dying, working on and releasing an album is a cool, generous thing to do. I haven't got to it yet but looking forward to listening.

I'm with Jim on Hey Jude. Not shit exactly but far, far from their best and way overplayed.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huw Edwards: 'What's all the fuss about?'
    Egg-looking culture man: 'The impact that David Bowie had on the world (his emphasis) was profound.'

Slow down.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gays have him to thank for everything.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    A twat I used to work with (a ginger no less) posted something along the lines of 'Ground control to major tom - RIP Bowie ' on facebook. The same person that less than a year ago misattributed Under Pressure to I don't even remember who. I'm sure you're suuuuuper sad dude.
    We know Major Tom's a junkie at this point, so that's a bit of a inconsiderate status.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That raises a good point, Pep. I was talking to my mate before about whether Bowie was hated by any people back in the day. I can't imagine he was universally loved because nobody is, but everybody seems to like him these days. He must have got called poof or gender bender a few times.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading him saying he always regretted coming out as bisexual and publicly experimenting with sexuality and whatnot. He said in Britain it was fine, but in America a bad move.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares about America anyway?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bible belt will be celebrating tonight. They almost killed themselves with hails of bullets fired in to the air when Mark Bolan died.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I remember reading him saying he always regretted coming out as bisexual and publicly experimenting with sexuality and whatnot. He said in Britain it was fine, but in America a bad move.
    Exactly. America are backwards nonces. They don't even have their own culture, yet we let them dictate what we consider to be important? They have a larger population and that's it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of art and entertainment, it's just because of the language I think? They're huge and rich so make a tonne of music, films, television etc, so we watch and listen to it and we're connected in that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always lol at the suggestion America has no culture, but it seems especially out of place from a fan of hip hop and rap.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't being serious, especially given the blues.

Lets say White America.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last photo of him, taken on his birthday on Friday. Hard to believe he was 2 days away from death.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I'm going to guess this new album is going to do pretty well...
    To be fair, his last effort went to number 1 as well so I wouldn't say that the anticipated chart position this weekend is entirely down to his death, though the actual sales figures will clearly spike. Normally the old one's too... Can we expect Hunky Dory and Ziggy to make entry in the top 10 perhaps?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Led Zeppelin are bigger than Bowie (The Who aren't), especially in America; but there are three of those left, so they would have to go in a plane crash to get this amount of mourning.
    Led Zep are a bigger band than Bowie as an individual artist perhaps, but Bowie had a huge influence on Pop culture through the late 60's to 80's. As well as basically inventing Iggy Pop through the remastering of Raw Power and ousting of the other Stooges as influences of any kind, as well as Lou Reed as a solo artist capable of Transformer (which is a fucking bat out of hell compared with his other efforts). His 'star' value was greater than that of any single contemporary I would say.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos released for his birthday might be a bit older and just released the other day, nobody seems certain. This is him on December 7th at some event:

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one was a few decades before his death...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Anyone who thinks Barrett was anything other than a steaming pile of shit would probably be too off their head to even notice if one of their own kids were dead, let alone Roger Waters.
    I laughed at this, hard.

At a party two nights ago my housemate was attempting to extol the virtues of Syd Barrett's genius over Dark Side of the Moon et all other forms of music (seemingly).

Was interesting hearing him ramble on whilst tripped out of his balls. He did think he was being chased around the Chinese Supermarket in town by the Vietnamese earlier that day, to be fair.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Led Zep are a bigger band than Bowie as an individual artist perhaps, but Bowie had a huge influence on Pop culture through the late 60's to 80's. As well as basically inventing Iggy Pop through the remastering of Raw Power and ousting of the other Stooges as influences of any kind, as well as Lou Reed as a solo artist capable of Transformer (which is a fucking bat out of hell compared with his other efforts). His 'star' value was greater than that of any single contemporary I would say.
    I'm not sure what your definition of 'star power' is. Bowie was more recognisable than individual members obviously (hence the plane crash point), but Led Zeppelin have influenced more and still serve as a cultural reference point for rock bands.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowie probably has a bigger reach than Led Zep. Women, for example.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert Plant reached enough women in his day.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    My sister is at it now too, posting that quote about wherever I'm going it's going to be fun or something. The same sister that one told me 'what a shit Nirvana cover' when I was listening to Bowie.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    I laughed at this, hard.

At a party two nights ago my housemate was attempting to extol the virtues of Syd Barrett's genius over Dark Side of the Moon et all other forms of music (seemingly).

Was interesting hearing him ramble on whilst tripped out of his balls. He did think he was being chased around the Chinese Supermarket in town by the Vietnamese earlier that day, to be fair.
    I'd love to hear how he even got an impression of what Syd Barrett's 'genius' is. He was only on the first Floyd album and did next to fuck all afterwards. First album isn't even the best of their early stuff by a long shot either, if you ask me.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I'd love to hear how he even got an impression of what Syd Barrett's 'genius' is. He was only on the first Floyd album and did next to fuck all afterwards. First album isn't even the best of their early stuff by a long shot either, if you ask me.
    It's absolute gack. The only Floyd album I always refused to have anywhere near my collection (in the days of albums).

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It's absolute gack. The only Floyd album I always refused to have anywhere near my collection (in the days of albums).
    I dunno. I found Ummagumma much worse.

Edit: I'm bullshitting. Just looked at the tracklist and Ummagumma is alright. Atom Heart Mother, More and Obscured by Clouds are gash though if you ask me. Rest of them are decent.