User Tag List

Page 45 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 11872

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I thought mokbull was some from somewhere in Europe? Czech Republic or something, no? What's all this 'we' shit?
    Never understood this repeated TTH argument. Why must he be either / or? Why not both / and?

@mokbull Then my apologies, did not see that part of your argument, but most American exceptionalism arguments are so devoid of their original context as to be meaningless.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, I'm just trying to belittle him for fun. Take your serious points about identity elsewhere.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, I'll leave them to the high minded, logical, model of probity that was the national Brexit debate.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not claiming 'we're' any better.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brexceptionalism.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    @Lewis Because Mokbull, like Pepe, GS, and pretty much everyone in the US, have no clue what de Tocqueville's concept of Anerican exceptionalism was. It has long since been co-opted by everyone (including the American Communist Party who brought the term back into vogue) to the point of meaninglessness. It is now just rah rah home team cheerleading nonsense everyone does but only the US is accused of. You can argue about degrees but the entire world partaken. No different than the fate of the Confederate flag. Who cares what the original intent was; it was co-opted and reinstated into public life and public spaces by segregationists.
    Speak for yourself.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had Ricardo arguing comparative advantage at one point in time. Peak democracy.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news, Bill Clinton paid for Hillary's private email server with taxpayer money. This election could have been so easy...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Never understood this repeated TTH argument. Why must he be either / or? Why not both / and?
    When MokBull first turned up here it was under the guise of a fully Czech future tennis professional, and he posted a load of pictures of some other guy on a bus trip pretending it was him. He then signed up with his current persona but using the name 'Koba', and for a while he'd carry on arguments with himself using the two accounts. Presumably that's clouded the issue in Boydy's mind.

It's only really Mert who that argument comes up with anyway, and there it's just to lol at him. When he's Turkish he'll defend stabbings all day long but when he's American he wants them wiped from the crime stats because those nasty black gang members just can't be controlled.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair i did get my first kiss under a moonlight sky at a tennis tournament in Croatia

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    In other news, Bill Clinton paid for Hillary's private email server with taxpayer money. This election could have been so easy...
    Donald paid for his wife with tax payers' money.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Executive summary: Cable news needs a horserace. It’s the only way cable news knows how to fill all the time in the 24 hour cycle, and keep its advertisers happy.

https://medium.com/@wilw/that-clinto...990#.ra8ic5jvh

Image (spoiler for size):

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike Schur posted a load of tweets in that format last week after Trump was a twat when Dwayne Wade's cousin copped it.

I enjoyed that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Executive summary: Cable news needs a horserace. It’s the only way cable news knows how to fill all the time in the 24 hour cycle, and keep its advertisers happy.

https://medium.com/@wilw/that-clinto...990#.ra8ic5jvh

Image (spoiler for size):

Toggle Spoiler
    Where's the part where he's an elected official engaging in corruption? His whole platform is 'I engaged in this corruption, I was a special interest, this is why I need to be put in charge because I know how to fix it.'

Surely you understanding the distinction?

CNN Poll w/Trump leading 45-43:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8913/h...st-ben-shapiro

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very odd idea in general.

"I used to be an axe-murderer (I did all the best axe murders), so if you give me an axe, I promise I can stop all the axe murders."

EDIT: "Also, don't vote for my opponent. She used to be an axe-murderer."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes an astonishing amount of credulity to convince yourself that only someone proven to act corruptly can stop corruption.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mental. There's basically some kind of mass Stockholm Syndrome now.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very odd idea in general.

"I used to be an axe-murderer (I did all the best axe murders), so if you give me an axe, I promise I can stop all the axe murders."

EDIT: "Also, don't vote for my opponent. She used to be an axe-murderer."
    No. Who else would know how the corruption works? If you haven't been on both sides of the equation, you have no understanding of the means in which it can be stopped. It is 100% rational.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump hasn't been on both sides of the equation so that's that one laid to rest.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also utter shit, and if true would make him a terrible candidate for president.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dallas Morning News supporting Clinton - the first time they've supported a Democrat since FDR at the height of WWII - is good fun. Not that it'll swap many, if any, voters - but it shows not everybody in Texas is a mental.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Trump hasn't been on both sides of the equation so that's that one laid to rest.
    But if he was President he would be...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    The Dallas Morning News supporting Clinton - the first time they've supported a Democrat since FDR at the height of WWII - is good fun. Not that it'll swap many, if any, voters - but it shows not everybody in Texas is a mental.
    Hillary Clinton destroyed her phones with a hammer after they were used so that the emails on them could not be retrieved and then claimed that she, as the Secretary of State, did not know that (c) referred to classified material.

And yes, not voting for her is mental.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they note in their editorial, her misjudgements pale in comparison to Trump's complete ill-preparedness for the job.

You might want to read it, assuming you don't only focus on the propaganda coming from Trump Tower.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but Trump will have advisers who do most of the heavy lifting who are conservative and probably overall pretty reasonable. Clinton is a guarantee to just further entrench corruption and incompetence with absolutely no alternative outcome.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering he keeps firing his advisers and getting even more mental ones by the week. Nah.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But guys, they probably might be overall pretty reasonable.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    But guys, they probably might be overall pretty reasonable.
    Better than guaranteed treasonous and corrupt.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's America, mate. It's all corrupt. Even you.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treasonous you could argue but him being corrupt was the centrepiece of your argument not half a page ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Yeah but Trump will have advisers who do most of the heavy lifting who are conservative and probably overall pretty reasonable. Clinton is a guarantee to just further entrench corruption and incompetence with absolutely no alternative outcome.
    This is a patently ludicrous justification for voting Trump. When you're having to cite that he's effectively a prop, or mouthpiece, for unelected 'advisers' to circumvent justified charges that he is himself ill-prepared, you're into seriously choppy waters.

The logical next step, of course, is whether Trump would have the necessary understanding, or indeed willingness, to challenge the view of these invisible, supposedly reasonable advisers in the way that he should. The answer, based on all available evidence thus far, is no. He doesn't do detail, or sensible thought-out policy. He's had over a year in the public eye as part of this process, and that's a more than reasonable timeframe in which to judge that it represents a huge weakness.

You know this, of course. Clinton is an appalling candidate, and a sensible, safe Democratic pick would be sweeping the board. Her misjudgements rightly give people pause, but given the clear alternative here it seems entirely reasonable to support her irrespective of those failings.

Still, Donald Trump. We shouldn't worry about voting for him because a number of invisible, unnamed, shadowy and unelected special advisers will actually do all the heavy lifting and he'll just articulate what they tell him to. Great. It'll be like when the Nazis set up Petain at Vichy and told him what his country's policies were going to be from now on.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Vote for Trump, because of his history of unrepentant corruption and bribery.
    2. Vote for Trump, because he's not actually going to make decisions (except when he wants to).

The state of that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a patently ludicrous justification for voting Trump. When you're having to cite that he's effectively a prop, or mouthpiece, for unelected 'advisers' to circumvent justified charges that he is himself ill-prepared, you're into seriously choppy waters.

The logical next step, of course, is whether Trump would have the necessary understanding, or indeed willingness, to challenge the view of these invisible, supposedly reasonable advisers in the way that he should. The answer, based on all available evidence thus far, is no. He doesn't do detail, or sensible thought-out policy. He's had over a year in the public eye as part of this process, and that's a more than reasonable timeframe in which to judge that it represents a huge weakness.

You know this, of course. Clinton is an appalling candidate, and a sensible, safe Democratic pick would be sweeping the board. Her misjudgements rightly give people pause, but given the clear alternative here it seems entirely reasonable to support her irrespective of those failings.

Still, Donald Trump. We shouldn't worry about voting for him because a number of invisible, unnamed, shadowy and unelected special advisers will actually do all the heavy lifting and he'll just articulate what they tell him to. Great. It'll be like when the Nazis set up Petain at Vichy and told him what his country's policies were going to be from now on.
    Yeah but those advisors are principled patriots known to the Republican base with extensive track records, the sort of people that won't just sell 20% of US uranium reserves in return for a few million dollars in speaking fees. I'll take my chances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're prepared to allow unelected advisors to run the country without any participation, check or challenge by the elected politician, with said elected politician acting solely as a conduit for their decisions to be implemented.

The fucking state of you.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will be the result regardless.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recent polls are actually pretty worrying. Most of the battleground states still seem to be in Clinton's favor, but that can still change. Debates are going to be really intense

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, but one assumes that the holder of elected office should have the competence to challenge advice, actually proffer a different idea, have some developed policies in mind etc. It's not like you're voting for Mayor of Wasilla, you're voting for the fucking President. Not only that, but ultimately if President Trump decides to do something stupid then it's not as if his advisers can stop him, even if they are 'patriots'.

If you accept that Trump is too ill-prepared to do any of that and he's just going to wave everything through, then we might as well impose a technocratic government and be done with it. A Mario Monti for the new American century.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Recent polls are actually pretty worrying. Most of the battleground states still seem to be in Clinton's favor, but that can still change. Debates are going to be really intense
    He's not going to win. I wouldn't worry.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's political news in a nutshell:

Trump calls Clinton a warmonger while pitching military expansion

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder that the Republicans aren't victims here, but really, truly have the leader they deserve.

A bill to fund efforts against the Zika virus collapses, after the GOP tries to include provisions defunding Planned Parenthood, and overturning a ban on the Confederate flag at veterans' cemeteries.
    It's like a party populated by six-year olds. And not "reading at or above grade level" six-year olds, either.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're prepared to allow unelected advisors to run the country without any participation, check or challenge by the elected politician, with said elected politician acting solely as a conduit for their decisions to be implemented.

The fucking state of you.
    ...the President is always largely a figurehead, it's his broad platform that receives a mandate from the people.

What planet do you live on where democracy doesn't work exactly how I just described it anyways?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not going to win. I wouldn't worry.
    He's 100% going to win, as I've been saying for months now. You don't know America.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder that the Republicans aren't victims here, but really, truly have the leader they deserve.

It's like a party populated by six-year olds. And not "reading at or above grade level" six-year olds, either.
    You realize both parties do that all the time right? It's called democracy, when you have more of your allies in Congress, you get to pass legislation that your constituents want to see implemented.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    He's down 4 in New Jersey (Obama won by 18) and down 3 in Rhode Island (Obama won by 27) and is winning one of the Congressional districts in Maine (Obama won by 15; no Republican has won a delegate since the 80s).

https://www.peoplespunditdaily.com/p...ngland-states/

Recent battleground state polls in the critical states all have Trump either winning or within the margin of error. Effective performances in the debate and Hillary is done, the media has shot itself in the foot, any halfway decent performance will be perceived as an incredible triumph by a public who has been told incessantly that Trump is a cartoon character monster.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    You realize both parties do that all the time right? It's called democracy, when you have more of your allies in Congress, you get to pass legislation that your constituents want to see implemented.
    I would have assumed that they'd recognise the importance of a public health bill to counter a serious (and already global) health risk, and let it through without infecting it with political hack stuff. Like real grownup politicians manage to do in real functional democracies every day.

It shouldn't bother you really though. I think we both agree with the thesis statement - the Republicans have the leader they deserve. Why we feel that way might be slightly different, of course.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current odds have Hilary 2/5 with Trumpo at 7/4.

Ted Cruz at 500/1....

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have assumed that they'd recognise the importance of a public health bill to counter a serious (and already global) health risk, and let it through without infecting it with political hack stuff. Like real grownup politicians manage to do in real functional democracies every day.

It shouldn't bother you really though. I think we both agree with the thesis statement - the Republicans have the leader they deserve. Why we feel that way might be slightly different, of course.
    Democrats do the exact same shit. Welcome to politics. Why can't Democrats put aside their political differences and take the loss for the greater good? It goes both ways as difficult as that is to comprehend for someone consumed by their own dazzling lack of perspective and awareness.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Republicans wanted to put forward the Zika, Abortion and Celebrating Slavery bill, they should have done so. Or, like proper grownups in other countries, you don't try and wedge irrelevant shit into actually important necessary bills.

They sunk a vital public health measure by making it unviable. They did that. And not that I think it to be deeply relevant (the Democratic Party can be childish, but nowhere near "sink a critical public health bill to get slave flags flying in military cemeteries" childish), but as far as stopped clocks go:

Quote Originally Posted by mert, like six pages ago
    "Well they did it too" is not an argument to justify poor ethical decisions.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not defending what the Republicans did, I'm exposing you for the ignorant hypocrite you are. Democrats could save lives, but they'd rather not 'cave' politically. There is just as much blood on their hands as there is on the Republicans.

Of course you don't see this because you have a pathological inability (you have serious psychological issues, probably stemming from your entire self worth being derived from your high conception of your own intelligence, which makes you incapable of accepting alternative points of views) to find Democrats at fault for anything.