User Tag List

Page 105 of 238 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,250 of 11872

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The better picture is 'KEEP YOUR TINY HANDS OFF OUR RIGHTS + LIBERTIES' written in chalk on the floor. Leicester. You live in Leicester.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    This will probably end up being the long-term lolling point, as Daniel Hannan was gloating about last night.
    His article from last year: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2583180

Rather prescient, really.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    Probably the right move...might be worth extending to student visas...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The other thing they are absolutely obsessed with, and enchanted by, is America. They all want to be Josh from the West Wing.
    They want to be Toby, not Josh. The most used phrase on Twitter and Facebook is 'am I the only one who'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Probably the right move...might be worth extending to student visas...
    It will be indescribably funny when you get kicked out of the country for having a background which encourages terrorism or a nose which shames Lady Liberty or some such, but no doubt we won't hear about it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    They want to be Toby, not Josh. The most used phrase on Twitter and Facebook is 'am I the only one who'.

It will be indescribably funny when you get kicked out of the country for having a background which encourages terrorism or a nose which shames Lady Liberty or some such, but no doubt we won't hear about it.
    I'm an American citizen born in America to parents who are American citizens one of whom immigrated legally at least in part due to discrimination she experienced as a Christian. The Western world is in crisis, and mindlessly virtue signaling to see who can get the most likes on social media, is leading us into annihilation.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder...

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    899 people surveyed.

From January 5 – 9, Quinnipiac University surveyed 899 voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 3.3 percentage points. Live interviewers call landlines and cell phones.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "lolworthy" hypocrisy of not including Saudi Arabia in the banned countries list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    899 people surveyed.

From January 5 – 9, Quinnipiac University surveyed 899 voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 3.3 percentage points. Live interviewers call landlines and cell phones.
    So at best a statistical tie or, at worst, a clear majority support it.

For all the vocal outrage, your average Trump voter (plus others) seems to think it's a fundamentally good idea.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sample size sounds reasonable to me. People often get confused into thinking that the higher the sample, the more accurate the poll, which isn't really the case. Not by much anyway.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tee hee

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say what you will about this ban, but the way it's seemingly not thought through how to practically enforce it, and the various edge cases it creates, is ridiculous.

Meanwhile I heard that University of Toronto are happily accepting people who all of a sudden are not allowed to go to MIT or Harvard etc. So much for the famous US braindrain that built the country and all

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to worry. The top American universities will soon be replenished by people living British ones because they love Europe so much.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other website updates, something appears to be missing?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following this Quebec shooting last night, and President Donald J. Trump was catching all the blame because, since Muslims never kill other Muslims, it was obviously white people inspired by him. I've just gone to check on it, and nobody seems to be talking about it. What's going on?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll turn out to be a nutter like the airport shooting so if we can't blame it on ISIS it's not news.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following this Quebec shooting last night, and President Donald J. Trump was catching all the blame because, since Muslims never kill other Muslims, it was obviously white people inspired by him. I've just gone to check on it, and nobody seems to be talking about it. What's going on?
    Not the US so nobody cares I guess?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour MP and former minister Yvette Cooper says Boris Johnson's statement that the travel ban "wouldn't be our policy" is "not good enough".

President Trump signed the order on Holocaust Memorial Day, she says, telling the foreign secretary forcefully: "For the sake of history, for heaven's sake, have the guts to speak out."

Boris Johnson says MPs have the chance "to come forward with fresh expressions of outrage".

MPs are openly shouting at him by this stage.
    If we now have to be OUTRAGED about domestic laws of our allies, hmm, where to start?

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most upvoted comments on Reddit about this was the suggestion of a white guy pretending to be a Muslim and shouting Allahu Akhbar.

They are so DESPERATE for it not to be the usual suspects because it doesn't fit their snowflake narrative.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    One of the most upvoted comments on Reddit about this was the suggestion of a white guy pretending to be a Muslim and shouting Allahu Akhbar.

They are so DESPERATE for it not to be the usual suspects because it doesn't fit their snowflake narrative.
    It's all good. Every time it is not one of THE USUAL SUSPECTS we just call it a shooting instead of terrorism.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    It's all good. Every time it is not one of THE USUAL SUSPECTS we just call it a shooting instead of terrorism.
    Shut up, yellow snowflake.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, there was a school shooting in Mexico a week or two ago, in case anyone was interested. GUN CONTROL DOES NOT WORK.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, there was a school shooting in Mexico a week or two ago, in case anyone was interested. GUN CONTROL DOES NOT WORK.
    Was probably gang/drug related so who care.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a video floating around, I would've guessed you were all over that shit.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? It's nothing new or different. I'm all over that guy getting eaten by Tigers in China.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we now have to be OUTRAGED about domestic laws of our allies, hmm, where to start?
    Start with people like Yvette Cooper who were in government when we were shuttling people around to be tortured.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all going so Nixon.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    It'll turn out to be a nutter like the airport shooting so if we can't blame it on ISIS it's not news.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lone shooter with mental issues I am sure.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile,

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flow of the NARRATIVE. It's obviously trending again now.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Gives me a boner that he's so white.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean Spicer is a bit of a legend. I bet he lols his cock off once he gets behind closed doors.

Speaking of idiots, I missed John McCain criticising the MUSLIM BAN on the grounds that 'this executive order may do more to help terrorist recruitment than improve our security'. Mate. Mate.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slate: Look Which World Leaders Aren't Condemning the Ban.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I genuinely don't understand what these people expect. If we're required to condemn the domestic policies of every country where we have a relationship with a decision maker, we're fucked.

Fucking surely we should be saying "that's not our business, but where it impacts people in this country we will make representations". I assume they haven't taken the opportunity to have a go at the countries which ban Israeli passport holders from entering.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compounding the issue for the "Never Trump" brigade, we now have polling: here

Most voters approve of President Trump’s temporary halt to refugees and visitors from several Middle Eastern and African countries until the government can do a better job of keeping out individuals who are terrorist threats.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 57% of Likely U.S. Voters favor a temporary ban on refugees from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen until the federal government approves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here. Thirty-three percent (33%) are opposed, while 10% are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Similarly, 56% favor a temporary block on visas prohibiting residents of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen from entering the United States until the government approves its ability to screen for likely terrorists. Thirty-two percent (32%) oppose this temporary ban, and 11% are undecided.
    Someone have a word with Ed Balls' wife.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate Owen Jones out-did himself earlier.

But the emerging Stop Trump movement needs to understand what it is up against. America’s democracy faces an unprecedented threat. The new president seeks to remodel American society and block opposition. His flagrant lies about millions of fraudulent votes in last year’s presidential election undoubtedly reflect the insecurity of an authoritarian demagogue who lost the popular vote.

But Trump has proved ingenious at deploying bluster and bravado to frame the terms of debate. He wants to rig the US electoral system against his opponents. This process has already started, with the purging of Democratic supporters from voting rolls last year, inflating Trump’s popular vote-defying win. He gained nearly 3 million fewer votes than Hillary Clinton: in a fair election this gap would have been even greater.

FACT. And anybody believing otherwise is a paranoid mess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think these people genuinely don't understand that "popular vote" is irrelevant. We can file that next to "38% on a 60% turnout" that the likes of Caroline Lucas throw about as evidence why we should be governed by people she agrees with.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It struck me earlier that the reason he BOTTLED Brexit, rather than simply being a case of him being scared of the People he believes that he speaks for, is because there is more work in it for him. Had he followed his convictions and gone for it, he would have just been left churning out the standard boilerplate shite for years to come, wittering on about fairness and his unquenchable thirst for migrant cock. On the other hand, by putting himself at the front of that 'reform Europe into communism' crowd, he will never be short of bollocks to pontificate on, and he can pinch a load of hotel towels and kettles as he does it, going on them speaking tours of the very countries being hammered by the waxworks he gets to spend the next forty years attempting to reform.

Cynical, Jones. You gobshite.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Popular vote" isn't irrelevant. It doesn't undermine the legitimacy of Trump's win, which was fair and completely valid under the rules. But you don't just rule for your own voters. If you sweep 60% of the vote and 40 states, there's no reason to hold back even a little bit from implementing your ideas, because it seems like the country in general approves. But if it's razor thin, you have to remember that there's a huge portion of the population that disagrees with your proposals, and that's a good reason to at least look at some kind of meeting in the middle (skewed to your side, which is fair given the result).

Politics isn't just about winning, despite the fact that it's turned increasingly tribal in the last 20 years. You govern for all the voters, not just the ones who voted for you. A popular vote loss suggests that an effective leader should probably reach out and find some sort of middle ground. Nobody is suggesting Trump should concede his position and go home. But they're suggesting that it's not the campaign anymore; he should remember that most of the country aren't Republican voters, and find a way to implement his plans which doesn't alienate his own populace.

Effective politics shouldn't just be "win or bust". But it's become practically a sporting event now. You only have to look at how particularly dogmatic members of one side or the other basically jerk off at the idea of their ideological opponents being unhappy. That's simply not a healthy way to govern, even though it's satisfying on an individual level.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they have released poll results now, 57% in favor of the ban, 33% opposed:

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public...rrorist_havens

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the title, I'd be honestly interested to hear how the question was framed. I don't think they say in the article?

EDIT: Found it. Seems reasonable, even if the headline is sensationalised a bit. Especially given that terrorists perpetrating attacks on US soil have been largely Saudi, so if any country is going to get described as a "terrorist haven"...

At any rate, I do absolutely think there has been a failure of communication in making publicly clear just how severe the US vetting process is. It's the toughest in the world, and it's been effective.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something Trump's probably not aware of so he just thinks, "I'll finally be tough on immigration."

He gets to the Oval Office and starts doing rather than actually seeing what's what. It's glorious.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's FIRED the attorney general.

leedsrevolution
    This presidency reminds me of when Leeds hired David Hockaday and Junior Lewis under the watchful eye of Celino.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    He's FIRED the attorney general.
    Checks, meet balances.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you accept that Owen Jones rant as true, which it largely probably is, they're still not addressing or recognising where Trump came from and why all those people voted for him, which lies in their own ivory tower, the same benighted structure which they are still trying to recast as the definition of goodness and morality.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that, more than anything, it's the highly partisan, entertainment-driven news that priotises sensationalist headlines (invading hordes of unvetted invading refugees are invading!) over measured, more subtle facts. The "elites" aren't the only people in echo chambers.