User Tag List

Page 100 of 238 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 5,000 of 11872

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NHS probably gets about five grand of your taxes every year. How much is decent coverage in America?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    I genuinely couldn't imagine paying for healthcare. We really do take the NHS for granted here. I mean I pay like 20 quid once a year for dentist bills and I have the odd prescription at (what is it again?) 8 quid.

I was fuming a few years back when I had to pay 50 quid for some dental work.
    ...you do pay for healthcare, the cost is just hidden from you so you don't complain. And let's see how wonderful you feel about the NHS if you get a serious illness requiring an extended hospital stay and state of the art treatments to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The NHS probably gets about five grand of your taxes every year. How much is decent coverage in America?
    Average premiums and deductibles nationwide unsubsidized shoppers: Premiums for individual coverage averaged $321 per month while premiums for family plans averaged $833 per month.

https://resources.ehealthinsurance.c...ithout-subsidy

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the 3rd most read story on BBC's website right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38718306

I don't even...

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's the oldest-looking ten year old I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    This is the 3rd most read story on BBC's website right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38718306

I don't even...
    Lol at other countries obsessing over America

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Lol at other countries obsessing over America
    I kind of agree your sentiment, despite occasionally being guilty of it myself.

This election convinced me that I should think of US politics in the same way I think of, say, Japan or Russia. Largely foreign to me, with occasional moments of global influence.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does sound like something out of 1984 though.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country — and to renew the duties of Government to the people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.
    National Day of Patriotic Devotion. God. If you put that into fiction, people would claim it was overwrought. It's Kim Jong Il-type stuff.

The width of the Pacific Ocean makes this pretty funny, but if I was living through it then I'd be at least weirded out a little.

EDIT: Also a subtle move towards measuring time by the number of years since Independence. Is that a crack at a new Freedom Calendar? Or have they been doing that the whole time?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Bannon. He's a nutter.

leedsrevolution
    ...you do pay for healthcare, the cost is just hidden from you so you don't complain. And let's see how wonderful you feel about the NHS if you get a serious illness requiring an extended hospital stay and state of the art treatments to overcome.

Average premiums and deductibles nationwide unsubsidized shoppers: Premiums for individual coverage averaged $321 per month while premiums for family plans averaged $833 per month.

https://resources.ehealthinsurance.c...ithout-subsidy
    Well I have BUPA (private healthcare) through my employers, so that doesn't really matter.

Now I don't know anything about America but what happens if your born with a heart defect for example. Surely the insurance is going to be ridiculous? Or does it not work like that?

If it does, that's really the end of the argument and you can simply say NHS is better.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    EDIT: Also a subtle move towards measuring time by the number of years since Independence. Is that a crack at a new Freedom Calendar? Or have they been doing that the whole time?
    We've already razed Washington once since year zero and I'm currently itching to double our tally.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. We haven't covered the actual Nazi demanding a safe space and creating a 'No Platform' agenda after he got punched in the face while explaining Pepe The Frog.

So good.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which, if not lol enough, did you see the geezer that the internet reckons punched him?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shit-eating guy? Yeah they REVEALED him as Carl Diggler, a fake Twitter personality created by the guys over at Chapo Trap House. Fucking amazing.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if srs but:

Diggler's life took a turn for the worse when his horribly-mistaken predictions for the 2016 US Presidential Election led to Cafe replacing him with Diggler superfan David "The Milk" Milkberg as their "Chief Politics Writer" [19] at the site. On top of that, Diggler was evicted from his studio apartment and lost partial custody of Colby. Diggler has partially recovered by writing independent political analysis pieces and posting them on Medium, but his efforts to crowdfund his future journalism work have been hamstrung after he previously used crowdfunding sites to donate to Russian camgirls he met online and accidentally "donated several thousands of dollars to Hamas." [20]

Lol Mahow.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure you understand Magic. It's not a real person. It's a Twitter profile they use to make fun of centrist writers.

David 'The Milk' Milkberg is a play on Chris 'The Fix' Cilliza who refers to himself and his family as 'The Fix' 'Mrs. Fix' 'Fix Jr.' etc.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I half read the Wiki page thinking it might be about the guy who played him.

The russian cam girl bit caught me eye. Any chance to have a pop at How.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks, couldn't really give a toss about these satirical twats.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punching Nazis is a long-standing American tradition.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    P.S. We haven't covered the actual Nazi demanding a safe space and creating a 'No Platform' agenda after he got punched in the face while explaining Pepe The Frog.

So good.
    I'm such a huge fan of this guy getting punched in his face.

The remixes w/ added music on twitter have been terrific.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    We've already razed Washington once since year zero and I'm currently itching to double our tally.
    Yes... Do it so Trump can rebuild it and in turn create thousands of American jobs.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems a bit daft for the left to want to establish the principle of street violence being alright if the victim deserved it because reasons. Let's follow that logic, and let's remember which side has all the guns.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The left made that bed when they wouldn't outright condemn the rioting and looting going on across the country during those weekly "unnecessary murder of a crime suspect" episodes we were having.

Which isn't to say they didn't have a right to protest, that shit was all pretty awful, but they have a right to peaceful protest. Some of the protests remained peaceful, others become a battleground for ratings.

And when you basically encourage these other behaviors for ratings ... the destruction of buildings, looting of businesses, etc. etc. ... you can't just turn around and act like it's different because it doesn't primarily involve the murder of a black man + black people doing the rioting/protesting.

The last thing the left wants to do is piss off the black population and lose their vote. The democratic party would cease to exist in this country.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Police murdering innocent people is bad but the people who broke a window is also bad.'

Good take bruh. Good take.

I'm not sure how but this 'woke bruh' is somehow worse than the last persona he had.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Heading back in a few hours. Hope the door isn't shut yet.
    I was detained for two hours in immigration, but I made it through.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Police murdering innocent people is bad but the people who broke a window is also bad.'

Good take bruh. Good take.

I'm not sure how but this 'woke bruh' is somehow worse than the last persona he had.
    Not really close to a summary of the post but that's okay.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In recent years I've had to deal with the NHS numerous times with family members needing treatment. On all occasions the treatment after hospitalisation has been very good. Operations well done, after care as you'd want. Surgeons, Dr's and Nurses all on top form.

The issue seems to be with ALL OF THE REST OF IT. GP's - shit, long delays, long waits for appointments. Tests - same story. Refferals - same story.

The NHS is bang in trouble and needs a lot of help.

That said, it's better than going bankrupt because you need an MRI scan.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US does well with it's figures on all the shiny "LOOK AT OUR BIG NEW EXPENSIVE SURGICAL CANCER TECHNIQUES" stuff because there is a huge amount of money to pay for it in that system.

It's things like long-term diabetes care which are basically third world. Not that it's good here (or anywhere as far as I understand) but theirs is a genuine disgrace.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, about 80% of their population are massive bifters who spend their entire lives mainlining Coke and Cheetos. It's not surprising they get swamped by it a bit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long term diabetes is just another way of saying late middle age over there.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So good.
    Yeah LOL at an American citizen wanting to not get assaulted for exercising his 1st Amendment Free Speech Rights. What a loser!! HAHA.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a fucking Nazi. Fuck him.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The US does well with it's figures on all the shiny "LOOK AT OUR BIG NEW EXPENSIVE SURGICAL CANCER TECHNIQUES" stuff because there is a huge amount of money to pay for it in that system.

It's things like long-term diabetes care which are basically third world. Not that it's good here (or anywhere as far as I understand) but theirs is a genuine disgrace.
    That's because we have more Black people who are all obese. Don't believe me or think it's racist? Look it up.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    He's a fucking Nazi. Fuck him.
    Yeah that's not how free speech works. Opposing free speech is just as fascist as his views you massive hypocrite.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol @ RL getting all uppity since we had a couple of diabetics outed on here. That's a disgrace.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    In recent years I've had to deal with the NHS numerous times with family members needing treatment. On all occasions the treatment after hospitalisation has been very good. Operations well done, after care as you'd want. Surgeons, Dr's and Nurses all on top form.

The issue seems to be with ALL OF THE REST OF IT. GP's - shit, long delays, long waits for appointments. Tests - same story. Refferals - same story.

The NHS is bang in trouble and needs a lot of help.

That said, it's better than going bankrupt because you need an MRI scan.
    In America you can get appointments for any service you want the next day on state of the art equipment in comfortable surroundings with minimal wait and incredible medical malpractice protections. All you have to do is not be shitty and pay for insurance (which costs you less than the taxes you pay for the services in the UK).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because we have more Black people who are all obese. Don't believe me or think it's racist? Look it up.
    Like diabetes =/= only diabetes. It's the same with lots of chronic conditions.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 2.5million people don't pay tax in our country (not including the super rich ololol!).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    Well I have BUPA (private healthcare) through my employers, so that doesn't really matter.

Now I don't know anything about America but what happens if your born with a heart defect for example. Surely the insurance is going to be ridiculous? Or does it not work like that?

If it does, that's really the end of the argument and you can simply say NHS is better.
    You're on your parents insurance, and then your employers insurance. But yes, that was a problem in the very limited instances where you were self-employed and made enough money not to be eligible for any government insurance while (Medicaid) also being too young to qualify for government assistance (Medicare). In this case you might not enough money to afford the insurance and/or the insurance companies would refuse to ensure you AND in this very limited scenario, if you had a catastrophic medical expense you would probably be bankrupt (although still treated). AND, even for these circumstances there were many many government programs / pro bono doctors to cover this gap in the market.

To summarize: You need to be 1) Self-employed; 2) Make enough money that you do not qualify for Medicaid; 3) Are too young to qualify for Medicare; 4) You have a pre-existing condition that is uninsurable (rare); 5) You choose not to participate in the myriad of public programs aimed at helping individuals such as yourself; 6) You have a catastrophic medical event which is treated, but subsequently you cannot afford it.

Were the cracks, yes, but overall it wasn't a bad system. The vast vast majority of Americans could afford and accessed very high quality medical care.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Like diabetes =/= only diabetes. It's the same with lots of chronic conditions.
    It's because we are too rich and buy too much delicious food. Not because anything is wrong with our health system.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't listen to RL Merty. He thinks a couple of headaches every few months is a chronic condition.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's not how free speech works. Opposing free speech is just as fascist as his views you massive hypocrite.
    Free speech protects you from the Government not the people. A writer for SNL was fired yesterday after making a Trump joke on Twitter. Is that free speech? Words have repercussions.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free speech protects you from the Government not the people.
    Yeah and the Government upholds rule of law. Assault is illegal. Idiot.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should feel free to arrest him. Doesn't mean I can't approve of it. I believe you approved of people being stabbed for burning a Turkish flag at one point.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should feel free to arrest him. Doesn't mean I can't approve of it. I believe you approved of people being stabbed for burning a Turkish flag at one point.
    "You wot mate? I'm no effnick Turk."

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I never 'approved' of it, I simply understood the emotions behind the action and public perception given the cultural context and significance of the flag.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It seems a bit daft for the left to want to establish the principle of street violence being alright if the victim deserved it because reasons. Let's follow that logic, and let's remember which side has all the guns.
    Do we actually have to say "you shouldn't punch people in public, no matter how much of a dick they are"? Everyone knows that. It's implied.

Doesn't mean it isn't funny when bad things happen to bad people. And we can all agree (I think - it's a strange new world, though) that Nazis are bad people.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a lot of people seem to have missed that one (and were missing it when the black folks were smashing their own neighbourhoods up). I suppose it's to be expected the way they pepper all of their statements with militaristic wank. Mobilise. Resist. Smash. Occupy. You tipped a bin over, Albert Jacka. Go home.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because we are too rich and buy too much delicious food. Not because anything is wrong with our health system.
    Lol.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American earnings average $50,000 a year with $15,750 of that likely to go on healthcare coverage. 36% of americans are obese. 5% morbidly obese. Apparently the UK is twice that which maybe just means we have different criteria for obesity. Or Scotland is really fucked.