User Tag List

Page 86 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,300 of 11872

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top flight gilet work from Mert.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've long disagreed with Hannan but always thought he came across as quite a sensible man. I didn't realise that he was in fact, a bit of a nutter.

No-one Daniel? No-one?

P.S. Love that John Bolton has 'Ambassador' in his Twitter name despite not holding an ambassadorial role in a decade and lasted all of 18 months.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    How is it any different than states refusing to issue marriage licenses? Refusing to implement and enforce federal law is neo-Confederate treason, simple as that.
    Stop responding to my shit

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the modjern era, he can legally respond to you as much as he likes unless you say 'Don't @ me'. It's the law.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God bless phonics for kids

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I finally understand Mert.

He's so fucking daft he must be illiterate. At some point he confused "Armenian" with "American" and then he just rolled with it as much as he could.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The level of debate is just too damn high.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost as if that wasn't a well thought out policy.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff Sessions for AG... Christ. It's gonna be a real depressing few years.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    THE DONALD is coming to get us!

*pisses his pants.*
    You should claim to be an illegal and then they will house/protect you forever.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For everyone saying that Trump will be held in check by those around him, most of the people he appoints will be far worse than he is.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I've long disagreed with Hannan but always thought he came across as quite a sensible man. I didn't realise that he was in fact, a bit of a nutter.

No-one Daniel? No-one?

P.S. Love that John Bolton has 'Ambassador' in his Twitter name despite not holding an ambassadorial role in a decade and lasted all of 18 months.
    You get the impression that he wants to be a non-interventionist, but he loves America (and 'freedom and democracy') far too much to not occasionally end up all over the place.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all love America too much. Most of our political class seems to be utterly dazzled by it. Still, lol at all those Labour activists who flew over to help the Clinton campaign.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Goddamn dude. "Sanctuary cities" is a shit name but it's a totally justified type of protest if you believe that deportation is a fucked up policy proposal. It's actually something with tangible benefits, and at the very least forces local governments to make a decision about how closely theyre going to follow federal laws. Don't lump it in with all the other shit.
    'Sanctuary cities' might be all well and good (I think mert raises decent questions on this one though) but this wouldn't be a city, only a campus. Do you really think people are going to be arrested during class? Not that we have any undocumented students as far as I know*. The lol part, however, is the whole 'protect us from Trump!' shit. Someone should probably tell them how many people their hero Obama deported. If they really cared about deportation, well, they are eight years late to the party. This is nothing but yet another 'I don't like the outcome of democracy so I'll toss my toys out' moment.

*When I was in MDC, where there were a lot of undocumented students, I knew professors who had extensive knowledge of which universities took undocumented students and which didn't. At the time, WashU did not take undocumented students. That was several years ago so things might have changed but I doubt it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you justify anything with "deal with democracy", there will be literally no checks on democracy. If something is genuinely fucked, you try to garner support for protest or resistance, not sit around pretending everythings chill and laughing at the plebs for trying to do something

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what is the 'genuinely fucked' thing happening that this people are trying to 'resist?'

EDIT: I was all for the protests regarding adjuncts work conditions btw. No one gave a shit about that though, I think there were like 100 people in the 'walkout.'

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People can try and change the system if they want to, but the people moaning or saying that the result isn't valid because of the current system are fucking stupid. Trump won, fair and square by the system they're working with over there. There's a higher principle at stake which some people feel happy to ignore.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    You must be trolling.

If you aren't..... all these scientist (like, 98% of them, on all sides of the political spectrum)... what is the benefit from this great conspiracy? What is the end game for them? They can't all have shares in Wind Power projects.....
    Who do you think pays for their funding? But perhaps more influentially, they want to see environmental reforms for personal political reasons.

And for the record the 98% figure is FALSE, by continuously restating that dogma you are either lying or shockingly ignorant:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepst.../#4ba5ec1c7187

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    You should claim to be an illegal and then they will house/protect you forever.
    I really haven't taken enough advantage of this so far although, as discussed before, I don't really count as a POC for most things since I am an actual Mexican. Still, if I apply for academic jobs over here I will go balls deep into my heritage and my life experiences.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop responding to my shit
    lol pussy, special millennial snowflake can't handle having to actually explain the logical inconsistencies of his emotion based world view shocker

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you think pays for their funding? And the 98% figure is FALSE, by continuously restating that dogma you are either lying or shockingly ignorant:

Is this the same one we went over before?

I met Alex Epstein a few months ago. While I disagree with the 'war on fossil fuels' I also don't really like his outlook on things. It was also lol to see him chimp out at hecklers during his presentation, especially when you consider that he offers workshops on 'how to speak to left wing environmentalist nutters.'

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (The answer is that it's a strong majority but short of 97%)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Ah, I finally understand Mert.

He's so fucking daft he must be illiterate. At some point he confused "Armenian" with "American" and then he just rolled with it as much as he could.
    I thought ethnic background and nationality were seperate you disgusting bigot, those Somalians immigrants gang raping your women are just as Swedish as you are !

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you justify anything with "deal with democracy", there will be literally no checks on democracy. If something is genuinely fucked, you try to garner support for protest or resistance, not sit around pretending everythings chill and laughing at the plebs for trying to do something
    So are you advocating for revolutionary overthrow of the government or...what's the point here aside from I don't like democracy when the outcomes are contrary to my personal views.

Honestly if you see progressive ideology as a religion filling the spiritual void left in the minds of millennials raised in a post-modern society, all of their behaviors / attitudes are tiresomely formulaic, primitive and predictable.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you think pays for their funding? But perhaps more influentially, they want to see environmental reforms for personal political reasons.

And for the record the 98% figure is FALSE, by continuously restating that dogma you are either lying or shockingly ignorant:

He pretty miuch admits that it is correct in the 5th paragraph.

If you look at the literature, the specific meaning of the 97% claim is: 97 percent of climate scientists agree that there is a global warming trend and that human beings are the main cause–that is, that we are over 50% responsible. The warming is a whopping 0.8 degrees over the past 150 years, a warming that has tapered off to essentially nothing in the last decade and a half.
    Well, yeah. Also, it isn't "tapering off" http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Also, Eppstein isn't even a climate scientist.... he majored in Philosophy.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Also, Eppstein isn't even a climate scientist.... he majored in Philosophy.
    He never tries to hide that fact though.

I don't think that discredits his stance. His rather narrow view of progress does.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    For everyone saying that Trump will be held in check by those around him, most of the people he appoints will be far worse than he is.
    So your generic middle of the road Republican is now a problem? If you truly believe your party's democratic opposition is by default an apocalyptic threat, there is an issue with how detached you are from reality. Half of the country isn't insane.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Sessions was blocked by a bipartisan vote from becoming a federal judge because he's a racist. I wouldn't call him a middle of the road republican. He's just been given the highest prosecution job in the land.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your generic middle of the road Republican is now a problem?
    Yes.

Half of the country isn't insane.
    Agreed. It is a lot more than half.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was something on Radio 4 on my way home about Trump and his potential relations with Russia. They had a clip from Aleksandr Dugin on it and just introduced him as a 'political scientist'.

Here's the flag of the political party he used to be the leader of:
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Sessions was blocked by a bipartisan vote from becoming a federal judge because he's a racist. I wouldn't call him a middle of the road republican. He's just been given the highest prosecution job in the land.
    ...you sure about that ?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...you sure about that ?
    YUP

On June 5, 1986, the Committee voted 10–8 against recommending the nomination to the Senate floor, with Republican Senators Charles Mathias of Maryland and Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania voting with the Democrats. It then split 9–9 on a vote to send Sessions' nomination to the Senate floor with no recommendation, this time with Specter in support. A majority was required for the nomination to proceed.[19] The pivotal votes against Sessions came from his home state's Democratic Senator Howell Heflin of Alabama (ironically, Sessions would succeed Heflin in the Senate just a decade later). Although Heflin had previously backed Sessions, he began to oppose Sessions after hearing testimony, concluding that there were "reasonable doubts" over Sessions' ability to be "fair and impartial." The nomination was withdrawn on July 31, 1986.[13]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I know I messed up the bolding which made the joke complete / more obvious

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that you're so well versed in his career that you can proffer an informed opinion and yet not even get his name right. Unless you're referring to the British comedian, in which case it would be quite a shock if he was appointed AG.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's come to something when I see the prospect of Mitt Romney as Secretary of State as a thing to be hoped for...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly if you see progressive ideology as a religion filling the spiritual void left in the minds of millennials raised in a post-modern society, all of their behaviors / attitudes are tiresomely formulaic, primitive and predictable.
    As religion has become less influential in the west, politics has become dramatically more tribal on both sides. It's probably not a coincidence.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/tahliapritc...4yk#.njjmq62KL

It's shit like this that helped Trump win.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentrification on a plate.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chocolate as we know it is white people 'ruining' a bitter indigenous South American drink by adding sugar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    It's come to something when I see the prospect of Mitt Romney as Secretary of State as a thing to be hoped for...
    This is part of the problem as well. You (in the plural, generalised sense) vilify someone like Mitt Romney to the extent you do, and all sense of credibility and perspective has been lost.

It's much the same in the UK, where the left refer to the Tories as "Tory scum", "evil" or "Nazis". Great. What language is left to direct towards the more extreme elements of UKIP or the BNP? There isn't any, so people don't listen when they're told that these more extreme elements are nutters because "you say that about everyone". So you've lost perspective, and thus the argument.

Romney would be a very good appointment as Secretary of State - not just the lesser of two evils.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The media has laid some deep roots in that, too. You get sensationalist ends of the spectrum for the sake of circulation and article hits.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume that ruining thing is more than a little tongue in cheek, but I still like the idea of 'white people' ruining croissants.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wonder how well an article about brown people ruining everything would go down.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your generic middle of the road Republican is now a problem? If you truly believe your party's democratic opposition is by default an apocalyptic threat, there is an issue with how detached you are from reality. Half of the country isn't insane.
    Where did I say that? There are a lot of fine Republicans. Mitt Romney would be a fine Secretary of State, potentially better than Clinton and Kerry were (odd how that position is basically 'failed presidential candidate' now). Chris Christie's a dickhead wannabe, but he would be fine doing whatever. Plenty of randomers from Congress would be just fine. Jeff Sessions and Steve Bannon aren't middle of the road, or at least I dearly hope they're not.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    President Trump calls for theatres to become safe spaces.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's doing it on purpose, and yet people continue to bite. Presumably there would be less biting in the absence of a desire to be outraged.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I assume that ruining thing is more than a little tongue in cheek, but I still like the idea of 'white people' ruining croissants.
    I don't think it is. I've seen people seriously discuss the 'cultural appropriation' of food.