Page 7 of 173 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I can't get these downloads to work.
    I believe the pirates who stole your stuff are located at the little cluster of white buildings just to the left of the southernmost radio tower, if you want to try your luck there.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was Ajay in FC4 I'd be knifing these Yogi and Reggie cunts the next time I saw them. They're so very irritating.

I'm also not sure how much I can be bothered doing the rest of the Shangri-La stuff, which is a shame given how visually striking it is. And how cool it is setting a stealth-tiger-ghost on dudes.

EDIT: Also I've just unlocked the auto-crossbow thing as well as some weapon that's a sort-of sniper rifle but a) is loud and b) doesn't zoom far. Seems more like a range option (and it hits like a fucking train) you'd take if you were intentionally going on loud.

Not tried the auto-cross yet but I suspect I'll miss the versatility offered by the different arrows. I'm more likely to switch it in for the STG-90 (I think that's the one I mean) rather than the bow.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invisible Inc is free on Steam this weekend.

Anyone who enjoyed XCOM should give it a try.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New XCOM or old?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my recent purchasing binge:

Ronin: Good. Not as good as gunpoint, but still plenty enjoyable. Some of the scenarios seem impossible to perform perfectly, and you can't replay missions without restarting. Sometimes it feels a bit arbitrarily nasty, but once you get the mechanics, it's really enjoyable. There's a particular pleasure to be gained from replaying levels repeatedly in order to come up with the most "elegant" solution. The most important thing you really need to internalize is that stealth is largely not the way to play, and you'll have more success if you just try and take everyone out as efficiently as possible.

Botanicula: I'm about three-quarters of the way through, and I love it. The puzzles aren't that complicated, but the art is beautiful, and the easter eggs are bountiful. The whole story is conveyed largely without words, and it's pretty easy to follow. I'm looking forward to the big finish.

Undertale: I started it, then put it down in favour of the other two. The perfectionist in me keeps wanting to try and win every fight without fighting, but this doesn't seem like a sensible way to go through. I'll get back to it after Botanicula.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New XCOM, it's a Cyberpunk stealth game but with the two step control system. It looks beautiful too.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invisible Inc. is good fun, though it didn't hook me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're liking Botanicula Ital, it's just delightful throughout. Good news is I'm sure I read somewwere that Amanita are currently making a new Samarost game.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If I was Ajay in FC4 I'd be knifing these Yogi and Reggie cunts the next time I saw them. They're so very irritating.

I'm also not sure how much I can be bothered doing the rest of the Shangri-La stuff, which is a shame given how visually striking it is. And how cool it is setting a stealth-tiger-ghost on dudes.

EDIT: Also I've just unlocked the auto-crossbow thing as well as some weapon that's a sort-of sniper rifle but a) is loud and b) doesn't zoom far. Seems more like a range option (and it hits like a fucking train) you'd take if you were intentionally going on loud.

Not tried the auto-cross yet but I suspect I'll miss the versatility offered by the different arrows. I'm more likely to switch it in for the STG-90 (I think that's the one I mean) rather than the bow.
    Without spoiling, at what point do the new weapons unlock? Looking forward to using the crossbow. The best thing about rolling with the recurve bow is that it's silent, but it's also loud if you load up the explosive arrows. So much variety.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much enjoyed the last outpost:

Hide in hills and snipe out alarm.
    Run to other side of outpost as everyone searches the area you just left.
    Carpet bomb said area with mortar.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, there doesn't seem to be any bullet drop with the sniper rifles, is that right? Feels like that's why I've been missing more than I would like.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only "bullet" drop with the bow, nothing else.

Also while the fortresses absolutely do not require co-op given they've all got multiple points of entry you could probably have some chaotic fun if you made a point of leaving the alarms intact.

@CJay : different weapons unlock on different missions.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh right. I assumed it was like 3, where getting to the second island unlocked a whole pile of new weapons.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may happen when you get to the north of the map, I don't know. I like the Shredder. Partly because it's ace and partly because I like the Turtles.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completed the main story in GTA V just now. Definitely didn't want it to end. I'm still only at about 78% complete, so there are a few side missions etc. still to complete. The story was good, seemed to slow down about halfway through, but progressed quickly enough towards the end.

My main frustration came after failing a mission. I'm sure they were 'dumbed down' after a couple of failed attempts. Less people to kill etc.

I can't imagine I'll play through again, but it's GTA so it'll be good to come back to and just mow people off the pavement once in a while.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ability to replay missions is great as well, no need to restart in order to do the best bits again.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I like about MGS is how they scale missions depending on how you've been doing. Still cracking on with Walking Dead: Season 2. I did not like the way Episode 3 went.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to this today - http://www.londongamingmarket.com/

I'll be in financial ruin by the end of the day.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a Time Crisis 2 Cabinet and I'll swing by for some games.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't fucking say that to him, that's exactly the sort of thing Sama would do.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is.

I'm turning the second bedroom into a gaming room when I move, so this really is awful timing. Going to spend a fortune.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't go too mad. Managed to not buy any games or consoles, since I play them all for free on my PC.

Did come home with some pixel art, that seemed pretty cheap at £8 and a couple of Golden Axe Tshirts

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden Axe.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, Golden Axe

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dat gray shirt.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those t-shirts are phenomenal.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how much I'm going to break the story in Far Cry by doing everything other than story missions, uncovered most of the southern part of the map yesterday and will continue later. I wonder if I can do strongholds outside of missions? I'm also out of upgrades to buy and will soon have too much money for my wallet because apparently I have to carry all my possessions with me at all times.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, strongholds are side content so you can do them at your leisure.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned yesterday that taking a stronghold means they'll stop attacking outposts you've captured in that area.

The neatest thing about them is that they usually have at least one secret-y way to enter.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned yesterday that taking a stronghold means they'll stop attacking outposts you've captured in that area.

The neatest thing about them is that they usually have at least one secret-y way to enter.
    Aha, that's interesting. Cheers for the tip. I've only had one encounter with a fortress so far, where I drove too close to it and they started firing mortars all over the place. I actually jumped a little when the first one went off very near my jeep.

I unlocked the Bull yesterday. Rolling with the Stinger, Bull, PKM and Recurve Bow at the minute. Plenty of variety in those four weapons, although I'm looking to unlock a better LMG soon. One that doesn't take 5 minutes to reload.

Oh yeah, missions that involve a lot of grappling suck. I hate that aspect of the game. I don't find it fun at all.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the unique Scorpion and AK(?) plus a bolt action, silenced sniper and normally an RPG although I may well swap that for a decent LMG once I get one. Conversely I love the rock climbing, I'm basically just tooling around the map collecting things at the moment and scaling cliffs and rootling through caves is a nice distraction. The number of snakes and honey badgers laying in wait at the top of big climbs can bugger off though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just spent all my money, so I'll probably have to do that too. I guess the grappling is handy for general exploring, I just don't like missions like the Kyra Statue one where I had to use it exclusively. And is it me or are there far fewer chests on the map as compared to FC3?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's more money about in general, in 3 there was a point where I became slightly worried that I would run out of money for ammo etc. In this I'm running out of things to spend it on and am actively avoiding loot chests

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 87 (signature shotgun), sidearm grenade launcher, M-700 (silenced sniper) and the recurve for me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giving the ridiculous drum fed machine pistol a go, although I kind of resent taking a weapon simply for dealing with shitty animals but the endless stream of dogs, wolves, and leopards makes it a necessity. Rather ironically I've now found two locations that are marked as poachers camps, which is all kinds of lol when you consider the eagle death toll alone would put the Khmer Rouge to shame.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shredder is my best friend. Silent, not too shabby range-wise and fucks over anything stupid enough to get close to me pretty sharpish so it's good as my default carrying weapon. I have the sidearm grenade launcher for versatility and giving me more options elsewhere.

After that I'm mixing things up a bit. The crossbow is more fun than I expected. It lacks the range or variety of the recurve (which I swap it with depending on mood) but it gives a nice satisfying thunk and gives you more margin for error.

Lastly I usually have the better of the signature sniper rifles but it gets switched if I take a fancy for trying something else.

You playing on console, @CJay?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am liking how the quick sell button appears to know what skins you'll need to keep before you do. On that note, anyone know where Snow Leopards live? I find hundreds of the other kind but only ever one of the snowy variety.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Giving the ridiculous drum fed machine pistol a go, although I kind of resent taking a weapon simply for dealing with shitty animals but the endless stream of dogs, wolves, and leopards makes it a necessity. Rather ironically I've now found two locations that are marked as poachers camps, which is all kinds of lol when you consider the eagle death toll alone would put the Khmer Rouge to shame.
    I like the signature shotgun for that. Honey badgers get smashed in one shot because of it's power.
    I am liking how the quick sell button appears to know what skins you'll need to keep before you do. On that note, anyone know where Snow Leopards live? I find hundreds of the other kind but only ever one of the snowy variety.
    You either get all that you need during a mission with Longines (who sends you to the Himalayas) or they can be found in the North.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You playing on console, @CJay?
    Unfortunately yes. I'd love some co-op.

I unlocked the crossbow today - it's awesome. I also found out today that throwing knives one-shot enemies. That stealth mission for capturing de Pleur was really good I thought, I was hiding in the bushes with his body for ages while enemies were running past me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, here's a tip for hunting. Often I go to a location where an animal is, but I can't find them, or can't find enough of them. If you throw bait, however, they'll come running straightaway. I guess it only works for whatever animals are attracted by bait, though? I'm almost fully stocked on all the upgrades now, although I still have to get four Demon Fish skins, which will probably be a bit tricky.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, that's the way I'm heading. May attempt a stronghold tomorrow as I found one on a river that has a really obvious looking way in through the roof. Is it just a matter of murdering everyone inside like a larger version of the outposts?

Shotguns are ok but I don't find they're worth taking up a proper slot.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Also, here's a tip for hunting. Often I go to a location where an animal is, but I can't find them, or can't find enough of them. If you throw bait, however, they'll come running straightaway. I guess it only works for whatever animals are attracted by bait, though? I'm almost fully stocked on all the upgrades now, although I still have to get four Demon Fish skins, which will probably be a bit tricky.
    They're fine, just stand on the bank and murder them.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, that's the way I'm heading. May attempt a stronghold tomorrow as I found one on a river that has a really obvious looking way in through the roof. Is it just a matter of murdering everyone inside like a larger version of the outposts?

Shotguns are ok but I don't find they're worth taking up a proper slot.
    The signature one can go in the sidearm slot.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    Is that true for the Bull, as well? The sidearm slot in this was annoying me a little until I unlocked the crossbow. In 3 I could just run around with whatever weapons I wanted.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Is that true for the Bull, as well? The sidearm slot in this was annoying me a little until I unlocked the crossbow. In 3 I could just run around with whatever weapons I wanted.
    Nope.

http://farcry.wikia.com/wiki/87_%28Signature_Weapon%29

The 87 is a beast though, rhinos in only 3-4 shots

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope.

http://farcry.wikia.com/wiki/87_%28Signature_Weapon%29

The 87 is a beast though, rhinos in only 3-4 shots
    Interesting, I guess I'll switch out for that when I unlock it. Shotguns are awesome. I always have mine out when running through the wild as it's the best response to sudden encounters with dangerous animals.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shiiiiiiit, that's great. I also found the burst fire pistol (which takes a silencer) to be pretty good but the ammo pool is a bit too low to make it very practical.

Almost half the outposts done now. Just had a great one with two alarms, sniped one from one side of the camp and while they were carpeting my position with mortars and running about I legged it all the way round and snuck in the back to disable the other one. Cue a hasty retreat and picking dudes off one by one from afar.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quick sell button knowing which skins you need is ace because I'm fairly sure they never thought of that in FC3. Such a timesaver.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That I never noticed the game was doing that for me tells you how good a feature it is.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd been selling spare ones I didn't realise I needed, I assumed the 'sell random shite' button wouldn't touch crafting things at all.