User Tag List

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Thread

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which, hopefully the yields are up on this tech and we see it become commonplace in 2018.

https://www.cnet.com/news/vivo-first...ones-ces-2018/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My phone is arriving from the service centre tomorrow. That seems worryingly quick, particularly after reading reviews of how shady they are. A lot of people have said they got their phone back without any repairs done and a large bill for a small repair if you want them to do it. They haven't sent an email with an explanation of what they've done or not done, I've just had a text from the courier to say it is coming tomorrow.

Going to be seething if i just have a letter saying they won't fix it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FaceID on the iPhone X is basically magic. Only annoyance is that it doesn't work so great when lying down or when the device is flat.

Even better than fingerprint unlock, which is pretty ace.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't the tears over having paid £1000 for a phone get in the way of the faceID though?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Don't the tears over having paid £1000 for a phone get in the way of the faceID though?
    You’ve spent your inheritance a lot wiser, haven’t you.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I use it more than pretty much anything else in my life aside from things connected to my central nervous system. It's (by far) the best phone on the market.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I use it more than pretty much anything else in my life aside from things connected to my central nervous system. It's (by far) the best phone on the market.
    So long as you want iOS. Lovely hardware though, though I was slightly underwhelmed by the camera of everything was supposed to be such a step up from the 8.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    So long as you want iOS. Lovely hardware though, though I was slightly underwhelmed by the camera of everything was supposed to be such a step up from the 8.
    I went from a 6, so it's a big leap for me. Overall though I think cameras have reached near the top of their S-Curve and huge changes there aren't likely until there's a massive shift due to some new technology.

Portrait mode is pretty awesome mind - I've got some great shots with it so far, but that's primarily a software/AI enhancement than anything to do with the camera per se.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huawei seem to be the only company pushing smartphone cameras from a hardware perspective. I'd expect to see some good stuff and a lot of crazy shit from them in the next while. The non Chinese won't bother too much and will play things safer like we've seen. I was impressed with the portrait thing from what could be done, pretty much of a muchness with what Samsung and Google are trotting out too, until I realised I have zero practical use for them. Though I'm definitely not one of the selfie generation so I'm in the minority on that one.

Also, on the price. If you are an iOS user then with the way smartphone prices are in the market these days then it's worth every bit of it.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've set it up. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love me a shiny gadget, but this time round I think I'll move sideways rather than the best thing out. This contract is for the S7 Edge the Mrs now uses and is currently costing £56 with £6 of that being insurance. I did however manage to blag an O2 open code somehow last time so I actually pay about £50. I never actually had one but convinced the guy at the shop I worked at the right place and he put it through for me.

Unfortunately the O2 open code process has changed since. It's all online now and they want a work email or payslip as proof. Don't think I'll be able to manage that this time around.

I still have O2s offer of them paying the rest of my contract up available, but for example looking at the S8 they offer, it's £48/month with £89.99 upfront(unlimited/unlimited, 10GB). MobilePhonesDirect have the same tariff for £35 a month with the handset being free.
    Having never used a site like them before, are they too good to be true? Because that's a massive difference of £312 over the course of the contract, never mind the upfront saving. I've always gone direct to the networks before.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about them but I got that Pixel 2 I've been talking about from mobiles.co.uk who also seem to have pretty good deals. They were absolutely fine. Although they are owned by Carphone Warehouse so that helped me trust them.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL so my fingerprint didn't work today, I did it loads of times and it eventually locked me out for 2 mins. When I got back in it deleted all my emails for 'security reasons'.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must be some of the corporate interference with the phone.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple needs to cut these cunts off straight away with this shit.

https://www.imore.com/bmw-why-apple-...carplay-ios-12

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah VW do that. It's a 3 year thing rather than annual but fucking subscriptions for ICE? GTF.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's brilliant having Android Auto on the phone and I'd use it every day, but my next vehicle will definitely have it built into the car. If there was a decent head unit with it available I'd have it in the current one already.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    LOL so my fingerprint didn't work today, I did it loads of times and it eventually locked me out for 2 mins. When I got back in it deleted all my emails for 'security reasons'.

At least you didn't have to type a four digit passcode. Imagine the horror.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S7 has a massive pink line down the screen.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have the Pixel 2 or XL?

I'm looking at that being my next phone. Wondering how the battery life is. I know it's to be expected with a big, bright and 4k screen, but my S8 seems quite bad. Considering you can get one for £40 or less per month with a fuck-tonne of data, I might switch to it.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post

I'm looking at that being my next phone. Wondering how the battery life is. I know it's to be expected with a big, bright and 4k screen, but my S8 seems quite bad. Considering you can get one for £40 or less per month with a fuck-tonne of data, I might switch to it.
    Myself and @Boydy have Pixel 2's. Battery life has been much better for me that I was getting when I was using the S8 (or most other phones I've tried in the last year).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post

The S8 doesn't have a 4k screen (it'd be pointless with current battery technology). It's Quad HD or something like that and can be lowered. I actually think the default resolution is lower than the maximum it can be set to.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Default is the middle of the 3 settings.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your battery life like, anyway, @Gray Fox? Interested to hear as I don't know anyone personally who has the S8.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myself and @Boydy have Pixel 2's. Battery life has been much better for me that I was getting when I was using the S8 (or most other phones I've tried in the last year).
    Now that's what I want to hear. I've had my S8 running at WQHD since I got it and it just eats the battery. I've used it a pretty reasonable amount today and from 100% I'm now sitting at 13%.

I'm due an upgrade in May, but o2 keep telling me I can upgrade for free. Unfortunately they don't offer the Pixel so it'd be pointless. I'd have to get another S8 out or go to either the LG G6 or an iPhone. Considering even the iPhone 7 plus is still just as expensive as what I have now, I don't see the point.
    Added to that, the o2 data signal around the town has become shocking. They said they were upgrading it over christmas but if anything they've made it twice as bad. I don't even get 4G now around most of town. I've complained but got the usual palming off type response.
    Because of that I'll probably look to leave, but I'd have to buy myself out. That figure is currently £100 so I can't really justify that right now.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2XL's battery life is even better. Don't recall anything better for battery in the last while.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was waiting for my O2 contract to dwindle down to an amount I can pay straight off, as I still have £100 of my Fantasy Football winnings, that time became this month, but the above good offers on the Pixel 2 and XL had gone from mobiles.co.uk.

I've just checked back today and another couple of good offers have come up. You can get the Pixel 2 for £29 a month after £75 up front. 16gb of date and Ultd/Ultd minutes and texts. Or £34 a month with only £25 up front.

If you want the XL, you can have it with the same package as above, £10 up front and £38 a month. This seems like a very good offer. I was looking at the iPhone 8 plus on three, with free phone for £45 a month and 8gb of data until now. In short anyone but O2. Their data signal in the town centre here has gone shite for me. Certain parts of town are literal dead zones where I can't even connect at all. If I can get off that and reduce my phone bill by £11 a month then I'm a happy chappy.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to buy myself a new phone as my ancient HTC is finally gone from being a bit creaky to actually dying so I'm going to get a cheap sim only deal from somewhere and buy a new phone. Any recommendations that aren't an iPhone? Doesn't need to be anything particularly fancy, half decent camera would be good for work but I guess most of them will have that these days, other than that I will use it for normal phone stuff and maybe listening to a podcast or two.

So, people who know thing about phones, which makes should I be avoiding and which are the better ones to go for?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I need to buy myself a new phone as my ancient HTC is finally gone from being a bit creaky to actually dying so I'm going to get a cheap sim only deal from somewhere and buy a new phone. Any recommendations that aren't an iPhone? Doesn't need to be anything particularly fancy, half decent camera would be good for work but I guess most of them will have that these days, other than that I will use it for normal phone stuff and maybe listening to a podcast or two.

So, people who know thing about phones, which makes should I be avoiding and which are the better ones to go for?
    How much?

Under £200 - Xiaomi MiA1
    Under £300 - Xiaomi MiA1
    Under £400 - Honor 9
    Under £500 - OnePlus 5T
    Upwards £ - Pixel 2XL

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £200 - £300 I would think, I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a MiA1 recently for a look as I seen the 64GB on eBay for €155, and it really is excellent. Near identical software to the Pixel.
    Only thing it may fall down on is the camera. It has the single + telephoto setup and it's very good in daylight but only ok in low light. Then again, at around 200 quid you won't get a camera that is really good all round.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my Huawei p10 lite for 230ish pounds a year ago and I've been pretty satisfied, if you end up not going with the Xiaomi (which really is great value for money).

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should point out, the Pixel 2XL is fantastic.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to add about the Mi A1 @Disco, if you install the custom port of Google Camera on it (bit of messing about with ADB but nothing major), then it improves it in a huge way.
    I was doing some comparisons earlier and the photos with the A1 with the port are closer to the photo the Pixel 2 takes than they are to the original photo you would get from it's standard app.

The battery is excellent too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Moto Z just got its Oreo upgrade today. The launcher tray shade is really annoying and I don't seem to have a way to get rid of it. The phone is running significantly better since the upgrade though, almost all lag, which was becoming a bit of a problem, is now gone. Recently got that new battery, so hopefully won't need to be after a new phone for a good while now.

Missus is still looking for a new phone, her contract is up in a couple of months, I normally avoid any 'lite' phones, but the P20 lite seems like it's a very decent budget phone. Anyone got any experience with it?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a Moto G6 on the way next month, though the three P20's are supposed to be very good. I've only got a go on the Pro so far.

There's the Honor 10 coming too but I'm not sure if the pricing is in the same range as the P20 Lite.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad bought a new smartphone today for £20.

It's some probably rubbish Alcatel thing but he only uses it for calls and texts anyway. It's just mad that a phone that can get you on the internet and whatever else now costs that little.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android P seems pretty stable and usable. Can be tried out on any of these:

Essential Phone
    Nokia 7 Plus
    Sony Xperia XZ2
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
    Vivo X21
    OnePlus 6 (released soon)
    Google Pixel and XL
    Google Pixel 2 and XL2

Whether most of the changes are good is another matter though.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S7 got Oreo. It's awesome.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nokia 7 plus looks good, is there a better mid range phone though, ornate least alternatives I should be looking at?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girlfriend got a Huawei P Smart recently and I've been quite impressed by it. Specs look similar to the Nokia but it's a fair bit cheaper.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The charger that came with my 2 XL gave out the other day.

I've been getting by fine by using the old S8 charger my Mrs now uses. Only problem is I've tried charging it today and it's slowed to a snails pace. Reckons it'll be 8 hours for a full charge.

I'm hoping this is only the phone being pissy about me not using the Google charger and not a sign of a hardware issue.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just plugged the wife's S8 charger into mine and it just charges normally. My Pixel 2 and Pixel C chargers both show 'charging rapidly' so I'd say you're grand. Samsung always use different fast charging tech to most other manufacturers anyway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you doing to your charger that it gives out after less than a year?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I got my Huawei p10 lite for 230ish pounds a year ago and I've been pretty satisfied, if you end up not going with the Xiaomi (which really is great value for money).
    I've had my Xiaomi Mi A1 for 2 months now - it's a bloody great phone for $300 odd. Multi-tasking

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the cable that's gone through fraying of the cable or anything. It looks fine to the eye. No signs of wear. It just does nothing when plugged in. I think the charger is bricked.

If I plug the charger from the S8 in, it says "charging slowly" and estimates me about 8 hours to charge. I'm hoping this sorts itself out.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know why a Samsung S8 might all of a sudden stop sending emails when using the default email app? Whenever an email is sent it gets stuck in the Outbox.

Mobile phone adviser suggested clearing cache which resolved the issue for a day, but it then reverted back to getting stuck in outbox.

The Outlook app has no such issues however.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt all of this is true, but if it's even a quarter of it

https://www.androidauthority.com/len...launch-870049/

Cheng has hinted that the phone could have as much as 4TB of internal storage space, and up to 45-day standby times (potentially three of the aforementioned four breakthroughs).If the Z5 delivered all of this, it would represent one of the biggest technological leaps we’ve ever seen in the smartphone sphere. I mean, manufacturers are trying desperately to deliver 45-hours of standby time, never mind 45 days.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate that fast charging shite. Just charge the fucking phone as best as possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt all of this is true, but if it's even a quarter of it

https://www.androidauthority.com/len...launch-870049/
    I seriously doubt Lenovo of all companies could design something so cutting edge. It will probably have some horrible sacrifices to make it look like that (and it almost certainly won’t look like that).