User Tag List

Page 84 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,200 of 12825

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying they don't count. Clearly the numbers do. But there's a difference between friendlies and the World Cup.

The big players didn't perform when the chips were down. That is precisely when their experience and composure was supposed to give them the most edge. Broad was particularly insipid. I genuinely cannot believe that Joe Anybody from Durhamchester wouldn't have produced at least an comparable performance. Obviously he's miles better than Joe Anybody, and he's started (comparatively) to show that now. But it's too late. If you're going to talk positively about their mental characteristics, then the state of the series is a critical element of the situation.

Again, I'm just talking about the bowling that I watched. When the pressure was on, Anderson was unthreatening and Broad insipid. The only real exception is Adelaide II (already discussed), and even then, an England win was already a wildly unlikely proposition even if they knocked us over for half that total. Both significantly improved once the pressure was off.

This is not a reflection of their skill at all. But you'd expect players with all of that composure and concentration to be at their best under pressure. As it was, Overton was the bowler who emerged with real credit.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying he bowled well, I'm saying having him and his pretty economical insipid stuff there was a lot better for us than having Steve Wide and his wild insipid stuff. Using pure logic, if you replaced Broad with the next best individual in each case we would have taken conceded more runs more quickly, and taken wickets at the same rate or worse (I can't be bothered to remove Woakes from the 'Others' numbers but I think those would be pretty bad).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the record, I know they won't be nearly so tame when we visit for the return leg in a nation of Adelaide II pitches.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, on a massive sideways tangent, Ricky Ponting turned out to be a very astute and interesting commentator. Might already be one of our best, with Mark Taylor.

Massive, massive bonus points for this, too:

Not helped by the idiot in pink, but Mark Waugh's profound discomfort is hilarious. The best bit is when Ponting hesitates momentarily just before the line about the bookies, and then figures he's already started, so he may as well follow through.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only one version of Broad. Like all cricketers, he is human and his performances fluctuate, but selecting Broad is overwhelmingly likely to provide England with a better performance than selecting Replacement.

In fact if you compare Broad to our fourth seamer in each game, let's call him Replacement, you get this:

Broad 10 @ 40, .41 per ball, 99 balls per wicket
    Replacement 8 @ 57, .61 per ball, 95 balls per wicket

Now assuming that Replacement is better than those not selected in the team at all, I'd definitely be having Broad ahead of any of them. You can see by the difference in economy rate that over the longer run, his wicket rate is much likelier to improve than is that of Replacement, because as we know, most idiot batsmen don't like 'dot ball pressure'.

We also know this of course because over a long Test career, Broad has excellent results.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would've been interesting to see how Overton fared in Brisbane, rather than Ball, to be fair.

But yes, Broad certainly has a much, much higher ceiling than Replacement. Much higher.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding willpower vs. concentration, Jimmy, I'm also referring to the fact that while Australia absolutely love to smash us into a bazillion pieces and win a series 5-0 even in home series when the conditions are with us and we are comfortably better we don't have that same desire to ruin them once the series is won.

I do agree with you on the concentration but I think part of that comes back to what you've been saying about Bayliss for ages and his POSITIVE CRICKET which doesn't really encourage the same sort of concentration as an ODI does when you're looking for runs rather than always keeping it in your head that your wicket is incredibly valuable.

Hence all the wickets we're constantly losing to wide trash. What have Cook's wickets been like? He was bad for that for a while but seemed to sort his life out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Can't complain about the selectors when five automatic selections barely turned up.
    The big names have shat the bed too and although they won't be, should be getting held accountable for their own individual performances but some of these criticisms aren't new to this series or some of the individual players in question.

I'm saying all of this having barely had the chance to watch a ball of this so I'm not even armchair-ing.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Broad not get his wickets in purple patches? He must have got about 6/7 identical wickets in a row in 2015 when Australia were bowled out for about 60.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Regarding willpower vs. concentration, Jimmy, I'm also referring to the fact that while Australia absolutely love to smash us into a bazillion pieces and win a series 5-0 even in home series when the conditions are with us and we are comfortably better we don't have that same desire to ruin them once the series is won.
    Dunno. They're generally a bit better than us, all things being equal. Other than a short period from about 2008-2012, and another from Packer until Border in the early 80s, I think Australia have been better than us consistently for almost fifty years. Their cricket culture is better organised, has fewer utter morons in charge on an admin level (I know it sounds strange, Australian readers, but it's true) and the weather is better.

We could/should be as good as them, but we're not going to be until all the marketing cunts get swept out of the ECB.

That reminds me, our new T20, they're not even having any geography in the names apparently. Fucking geniuses, probably cost them a million quid in consultancy fees to go from 'Bristol Thunder' to just 'Thunder'.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a much better take on this stuff than my toss, pour some fresh and glorious Dobell down your necks: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ructural-flaws

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why on Earth wouldn't you have place names? is that just so if they don't like the gate money in one place they can move it for the next competition?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably it's to avoid the issue of people from Liverpool not wanting to support the Manchester Mad Dogs ('Lancashire' normally solves this problem nicely) but then by the same logic presumably no one at all will support the 'Hamsters' franchise because why should they.

Either that or so they can just tour it around the grounds without any allegiance or concept of home/away, who knows.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the NFL without even pretending to have a connection

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India struggling big time at Newlands. Morkel bags Kohli, 27/3.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I heard the sound of newborn lambs leaping around a sunny meadow just then, turns out it was actually Virat Kohli nicking off at Newlands.

They've managed to get Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Rabada all fit at the same time for this one, good luck India.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SA team looking very strong with Steyn fit and AB back

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon they have also achieved the amazing distinction, for a Saffer team, of being quite likeable. No more Smith, Kallis or that cabal of angry cunt support seamers they used to have, OR, crucially, Imran Tahir.

Rabada loves a good on-pitch meltdown, but because he looks 12 you still love him for it.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an absolute pleasure to watch AB bat again. It's a bit ridiculous how good he's batting, considering how long he's been out for. That flick over mid wicket was the shit.

Happy about the state of our team, and very excited about Markram. He'll be captain after faf is done. I'm worried about the Hash though, it's really been ages since he scored big and consistently.

Having Steyn back is incredible. He is like poetry in motion, and seeing him run in, is one of my favourite sights in any form of cricket, and having Michael Holding wax lyrical about his stats was a treat to hear.

India are in deep shit, and that makes me happy. How the fuck can a team that played almost exclusively at home, on dustbowls, for like 2 years, rightfully claim to be the best test team? And fuck them for 2015.

I'll try to join the Ashes conversation for a bit, in a bit.
    Just a couple thoughts to start off of: What the fuck England. This Aus team isn't close to the 13/14 team, but they've been made to look just as strong. I've enjoyed reading everything Jimmy has posted regarding their broken system, and have also read all related articles on cricinfo.

Then, Steven Smith. Dear god, he is something else. The type of records he keeps on breaking, is staggering. It hurts to say this, cause he is an Aussie, and South Africans are programmed to hate all Aussie sportsmen, but he is the best out there, and I go out of my way to watch him bat.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ENgland and their no balls

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The always enjoyable blaming of the umpires for England no-ball wickets from the text commentary. Maybe don't overstep, lads.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something quite satisfying about an immediate review after no doubt whatsoever which correctly overturns a bad decision. It's what the system should be used for.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why isn't Adil Rashid still involved in the England team? He seemed alright.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia shouldn't be hasty to declare tomorrow, if they don't throw their wickets away. It's going to be a million degrees, and every minute spent in the field is going to be sapping. They should force England to bowl them out - something they've not looked for one minute like doing.

Crane has looked acceptably competent enough, and is doing fantastically for a 20-year old. But some of the commentary has been exaggerating this a little bit, too.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India have done well to negotiate the first hour, but Rabada has just come in, probably pissed off that he has only bowled 1 out of the first 23 overs. Came steaming in, 145km/h+, bouncers, movement, and got the breakthrough. Ashwin in at 6, lol.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why isn't Adil Rashid still involved in the England team? He seemed alright.
    This is a wee bit of a mystery, but either it's more ECB retardedness (probable), or he has a considerable flaw in his makeup (possible).

If you take out Kohli, India aren't that good, are they? Reckon Dhawan, Saha and Rohit are having a laugh being in the Test side. I have a lot of time for Pujara though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, they're going down with all souls here.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I thought I heard the sound of newborn lambs leaping around a sunny meadow just then, turns out it was actually Virat Kohli nicking off at Newlands.

They've managed to get Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Rabada all fit at the same time for this one, good luck India.
    That's an awesome bowling line up.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale BACK TO HIS BEST as well, Hardik Pandya looks like he's gone out in front of a firing squad.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's been very good this morning. Here's to hoping he can grab a couple before Philander gets carried away.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Vern completely unplayable at low to mid 80s lads, 3/19 off 12 must be a scorecard error as he lacks NINETY MILE AN HOUR FIERY PACE.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Indians are just prodding against him, which is the last thing you should do. I remember the Aussies on one of the tours attacked him, moved around the crease changing lengths, and then his lack of pace worked against him. He is just slow enough now that the batsmen follow his balls.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon they could go over by an innings here, there's absolutely no way modern players have the resolve to cope with this attack, especially not in a world where Ravi Trashwin bats six.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too late to loose by in innings. This quartet has been everything and more than I expected, we've been waiting for a good 3 years for this to happen.

Pujara's whole innings is a testament to how hard batsmen has to work and concentrate. 29 off 92, very well accumulated, and as soon as he lost concentration, he was dismissed.

I hope we bat until the end of tomorrow, and grind them out. Supersport Park and Wanderers are typically even quicker. I'll be making my way down to Supersport Park next Saturday and Sunday

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was thinking follow on was 150 for some reason.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    This is a wee bit of a mystery, but either it's more ECB retardedness (probable), or he has a considerable flaw in his makeup (possible).

If you take out Kohli, India aren't that good, are they? Reckon Dhawan, Saha and Rohit are having a laugh being in the Test side. I have a lot of time for Pujara though.
    Pujara's great - one of the best going around at the moment. You know we'll never agree on Ashwin (for the record, one of his big strengths is concentration), but he bowled very well here by the looks of his numbers.

Jadeja is even more of a home-pitch hero than Anderson. Is he injured, or just scared?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably the Indians will complain about the other team putting out "greentops", due to other teams having the temerity of bowling quickly at them.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should force England to bowl them out
    I supposed just batting until the next series starts and beginning the first test by declaring on a five-figure score is one way of doing it.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needless to say, I'm not happy that we've let Pandya off the hook twice, with regulation chances. The pitch isn't doing much, so I rate we'll put on a good second innings score, and win easy enough. But this has been a frustrating session.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Needless to say, I'm not happy that we've let Pandya off the hook twice, with regulation chances. The pitch isn't doing much, so I rate we'll put on a good second innings score, and win easy enough. But this has been a frustrating session.
    It's hard to imagine you won't bowl them out cheaply if necessary in the fourth innings.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we should. Hopefully Steyns heel won't be a problem going forward.

77 run lead is a lot as the pitch has flattened out. Hopefully the openers can do a good job. Neither of them are the type to miss out twice in a game. Same with Amla. At least one of them will score 50+.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bigbash.com.au/news/kevin...des/2018-01-06

Love him or hate him Ill miss watching him play

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that mean he'll spend more time in the commentary box? That will be a bigger shame than any shit he's caused in his career. Unless he makes a conscious effort to stop the banter and put his ego aside in everything he says.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck my life, Steyn probably out of the series.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-21982910

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    501 for 4 and Mason Crane gets the third new ball.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Root is actually taking the piss here. Mo and Mase with the new cherry. Come back Chef, and please feel free to declare as late as you like.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curran's slow ball seems to be almost comically slow. I'm not suggesting that it's easy to play, but it seems so slow that the batsman must have time to readjust after delivery.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a great bowler of slower balls in white ball cricket, not in the Dernbach 'ooh variations' sense, but they always seem to genuinely surprise the batsman.

Meanwhile, almost on cue after the stuff I've been spewing about marketing wankers at the ECB recently, here comes CEO Tom Harrison with some wonderful quotes (when asked about our Ashes shambles):

"The health of the game is more than just Ashes series overseas,” Harrison said. “We’ve had record-breaking attendances in domestic and international cricket, changed our governance structure, hosted two global events, won the women’s World Cup and launched a participation initiative for kids. We’ve had a successful entry into the broadcast rights market out of which we have secured the financial future of the game until 2024.”

We are in a process of delivering cricket across three formats. They’re making huge strides across the white-ball game, up to a place where we’re winning 70% or so of our white-ball matches – the ODI side in particular – and the T20 side is making good progress.
    He really is a hateful cunt.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ODI side has been performing well, and there's a World Cup next year. For what it's worth.

Zaltzman pulled out this stat, which is the one I was thinking about when I said the problem is England's bowling, more than their batting:

Assuming Australia score another 16 runs, it will be the 5th time in 15 away Tests since New Year 2016, that England have conceded 600. They conceded 600+ away from home five times between 1955 2015 (none from 1955 to Dec 2003).
    Also, if that Marsh run-out is referred to the third umpire, then why even bother pretending that umpires are even able to give run-out decisions anymore? Out by miles.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Stoneman is the new England selection who has really tried to do the wrong job. 24 off 24 is a stupid score for an opener to get.

Between Mike Hussey, Matt Hayden, Adam Voges, et al., and now Shaun Marsh, it seems like picking mid-30 batsmen with lots of Shield runs is Australia's best plan. Michael Klinger should get his pads on.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooof. Cook doesn't get bowled very often, does he?