User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Music Thread

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The music of 1979 should ensure their brightest and best stay in 1979 and make it musically prosperous, instead of coming to 2023 and blighting my existence.

Dear god.

Alternatively, 1979 gave us Rapper's Delight and Another Brick in the Wall, and all manner of Gary Numan and Joy Division goodness, so maybe Marianne should just be consigned to the bin of history.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of that song then?

Speaking of Joy Division and songs with edgy lyrics:

I'm a twit

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...the-first-time

These days, most of André’s mornings begin with a five‑mile walk. Afterwards, he heads to his creative studio in nearby El Segundo, where he paints, sculpts, takes video calls and sketches designs for his new company, A Myriad of Pyramids, which aims to connect all of his artistic endeavours. He plays the flute throughout the day and has begun an apprenticeship to learn how to make the instrument. At night, he has vivid recurring dreams, most notably a vision that he has been having since the beginning of his career, in which he floats through the air.
    Motherfucking goals right there Album is a nice listen.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a big interview/video here about him as well https://www.gq.com/story/men-of-the-...e-3000-profile

Favourite bit

I’m 48 years old. And not to say that age is a thing that dictates what you rap about, but in a way it does. And things that happen in my life, like, what are you talking about? ‘I got to go get a colonoscopy.’ What are you rapping about? ‘My eyesight is going bad.’

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny little quote, I guess, but Jay smashed it out the park with 4:44. They're articulate geniuses with more wisdom than ever. Yet, he plays flute instead.

I respect it but he should just outright admit he's scared.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, the album is genuinely good.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll listen tomorrow as I bet it's great productivity music, but tonight belongs to Danny Brown.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the Capo Lee and Bakey EP is well worth a listen if you're not a coward.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotify wrapped is IMMINENT, boys. Any predictions for yours?

Last year:
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Mine's plagued by my daughter listening to songs from Gabby's Dollhouse and Teen Titans Go with the top song being The Night Begins to Shine by B.E.R.

Top artists were correct though: 6ix9ine, Elliott Smith, Drake, Tyler the Creator and Kanye West. Probably identical to last year.

My "audio aura" saying my top music moods are hype and melancholy threw me a bit, and feel like I've been diagnosed as bipolar just like that.
    Very little 6ix9ine this year now he’s fallen off. Elliott Smith/Heatmiser top for sure. Sueco and Powfu to steam up the charts too, and then probably a lot of nonsense my kids like.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is going to be dominated by Fucked Up, simply because they've got an album consisting of essentially 4 20-minute-songs which are split up on Spotify into "micro"-tracks, some only lasting 30 seconds. Cracking album (Year of the Horse) and would have been top in any case, I reckon. Top track will be Fucked Up - Track II (again, slightly deceiving because it appears four times on that one album).

Beyond that, since I mostly went looking for hard rock/folk/prog/punk from the Seventies and Eighties it will be dominated by that: Michael Hurley, Aphrodite's Child, Minutemen, Wire.

Probably some Ween from early on in the year as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno if I spotted it last year or not, but if not, The Night Begins to Shine.

Got the t-shirt.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top genre was trance, by far (mostly 90’s) but somewhat surprisingly my top artist was Nas.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predicted 4 of 5 correctly to my Mrs before it came up, with Electric Callboy getting 5th on mine, rather than I Prevail, who I thought would be. Also surprised to see I've listened to more Bad Omens than Sleep Token.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    Mine is going to be dominated by Fucked Up, simply because they've got an album consisting of essentially 4 20-minute-songs which are split up on Spotify into "micro"-tracks, some only lasting 30 seconds. Cracking album (Year of the Horse) and would have been top in any case, I reckon. Top track will be Fucked Up - Track II (again, slightly deceiving because it appears four times on that one album).

Beyond that, since I mostly went looking for hard rock/folk/prog/punk from the Seventies and Eighties it will be dominated by that: Michael Hurley, Aphrodite's Child, Minutemen, Wire.

Probably some Ween from early on in the year as well.
    1. Fucked Up
    2. Ween
    3. Aphrodite's Child
    4. Minutemen
    5. Morphine

Close enough.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sueco was actually ahead of Elliott Smith.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I predicted 4 of 5 correctly to my Mrs before it came up, with Electric Callboy getting 5th on mine, rather than I Prevail, who I thought would be. Also surprised to see I've listened to more Bad Omens than Sleep Token.
    Just pretend is a banger.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Just pretend is a banger.
    The Death of Peace of Mind album is stellar. I'd definitely give it a playthrough if you haven't already. I still can't believe it's Noah doing all of the vocal work throughout.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add it to the list.

Didn't have Pittsburgh down as my spiritual home.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have heard 100 iterations of grace over the years but Rod Stewart nailed it.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giggles is drunk, pass it on
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the only one that wasn't actually.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masterpiece.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been enjoying banjo music a lot recently (my destiny is to buy one at some point):

Vocals are a bit Joanna Newsom, I think

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventured up to Liverpool last night for Bad Omens/BMTH. Went in around 7 so caught Cassyette(seemed like she was very into it but very few seemed to know her stuff). Managed to get a decent spot though. Some at the front had queued since 4am to get there but we weren't too far back.

Unfortunately for me though where we anchored was right where the pit opened. The legs don't thank me today. It was madness in some of BMTHs bigger songs. Bad Omens also putting on a very good show.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certified bop.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a new EP from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah called Piano & Voice which is a nice listen. In a similar vein, if anyone likes Modest Mouse, the Ugly Casanova side project album is great (but very old).

New album from The Smile is good, but kinda...the songs Radiohead could have been doing instead of fucking around with weird drum machine loops for a decade.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will get stuck into new Smile tomorrow. But I fear I will feel the same, as I did with their first album. Some truly beautiful songs made less accessible by irritating bleeps and arrangements.

The Radiohead version of Skirting on the Surface they played live circa 2012 is far superior to the eventual recorded version of it by The Smile.
    Last edited by Clunge; 26-01-2024 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent six months trying to wean myself off the Lenker fanboyism, you know, trying to broaden my horizons, was getting somewhere, and then she drops this and I'm back to square one. Never stood a chance, really.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen this?

https://www.chosic.com/playlist-generator/

You can add as many (or as few) songs as you like and then ask it to generate a playlist based on the songs you added. Seems like a good way to discover new music.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just done a quick one with the default settings. Seems decent but amongst the good suggestions it's also churning out remixes of the same tracks I inputted which is fine but doesn't really lend itself to discovering new things. Maybe I can eliminate that with settings changes or maybe it's just not suited to certain genres. Nice that you can save directly to Spotify though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I spent six months trying to wean myself off the Lenker fanboyism, you know, trying to broaden my horizons, was getting somewhere, and then she drops this and I'm back to square one. Never stood a chance, really.
    3 for 3 so far. She's so good.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, but give me more Big Thief any day.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think my previous Hop Along eulogising here gained any traction, but this track from their back catalogue (do you have a back catalogue if you've only released 3 albums?) is incredible. Upbeat Built to Spill married with Los Campesinos! is the vibe.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would never have clicked play until you mentioned one of my favourite bands of all time. Nice tune.

Speaking of which...

https://x.com/LosCampesinos/status/1...779332695?s=20

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    Would never have clicked play until you mentioned one of my favourite bands of all time. Nice tune.

Speaking of which...

https://x.com/LosCampesinos/status/1...779332695?s=20
    Funny because I used to love them but think I’d missed their precious two albums. Looking at their wiki the other day it seemed like they were finished, so it’s nice to see something new is coming out soon.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any fans of Everything Everything? I've just been to watch them launch thier new album. Bop after bop.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not grabbing me as much but anything after Arc has taken a while to click.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's bloody good.
    Last edited by Shindig; 04-03-2024 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the midst of a huge Nick Cave phase at the moment. Which is nothing massively new, but I sort of drifted away from listening to him a few years ago (Ghosteen never really clicked with me all that much, for some reason - I probably need to go back to it) but I got tickets to see him later in the year and I've been firmly back ever since.

I had forgotten what an interesting, varied and frankly just fucking cool catalogue of music that is. I'm in the process of re-buying it all on vinyl (I realise this makes me sound a massive wanker) and it really is helping me re-appreciate the whole lot.

Push the Sky Away immediately went to the top of my Nick Cave pile back when it was first released and I think it still resides there now. I fucking love that album. I'm also very fixated on Henry's Dream at the moment.

I watched a couple of the documentaries about him recently too (20,000 Days on Earth and One More Time With Feeling) and both are very good.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJ Shadow's coming to Gateshead so I'm going to see if I can grab tickets for that. In the meantime, I'm going to dig into his newer albums and see if anything scratches that itch. Nowt's worked for me since The Private Press, if I'm honest. The Less You Know ... wasn't awful, I suppose.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm in the midst of a huge Nick Cave phase at the moment. Which is nothing massively new, but I sort of drifted away from listening to him a few years ago (Ghosteen never really clicked with me all that much, for some reason - I probably need to go back to it) but I got tickets to see him later in the year and I've been firmly back ever since.

I had forgotten what an interesting, varied and frankly just fucking cool catalogue of music that is. I'm in the process of re-buying it all on vinyl (I realise this makes me sound a massive wanker) and it really is helping me re-appreciate the whole lot.

Push the Sky Away immediately went to the top of my Nick Cave pile back when it was first released and I think it still resides there now. I fucking love that album. I'm also very fixated on Henry's Dream at the moment.

I watched a couple of the documentaries about him recently too (20,000 Days on Earth and One More Time With Feeling) and both are very good.
    I got tickets for him too. Push The Sky Away is one of my all-time fave albums. The live album at Ally Pally is great as well.

He did the soundtrack to the Amy Winehouse film which I haven't listened to yet. Apart from Grinderman I'm not that into a lot of his "solo" stuff.