User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gig Thread

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Adam Green tonight. Most fun I've had at a gig in a while.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was offered a Springsteen ticket yesterday evening as a mates Mrs can't go. To be honest I'd know about two songs and have no interest in him but anyone know if it's much of a show?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teenage Fanclub are heading to the region in November. I'm up for that.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to convince 5 of my mates to go see some classical music last night. Tchaikovsky's 5th at Birm Symphony Hall. It was pretty great, and our seats were ace; £40 centre of circle seats, but they were a fiver each on account of us being under-25, which is an excellent deal.

I suppose that sorta counts as a gig.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to see Chris Cornell there a few weeks ago, up at the front of the upper tier. All very civilised.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumped into a really old friend last night who told me belle & seabatian were playing tomorrow (as in today), and that resale tickets weren't too expensive. As I was a bit pissed I agreed to go. Quite excited to see the entirety of if you're feeling sinister at the Albert hall but slightly concerned it might be awkward hanging out with a girl I've barely spoken to since snoggjng her at a party when we were 16.

U going @Lee?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Bumped into a really old friend last night who told me belle & seabatian were playing tomorrow (as in today), and that resale tickets weren't too expensive. As I was a bit pissed I agreed to go. Quite excited to see the entirety of if you're feeling sinister at the Albert hall but slightly concerned it might be awkward hanging out with a girl I've barely spoken to since snoggjng her at a party when we were 16.

U going @Lee?
    I'm not. I'd love to see them live but have never got around to it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are any of you guys going to Creamfields? So jealous, the lineup is next fucking level

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Grimes tonight. Really good performance although it was too short.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grimes looks like you.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about that, but she did go to McGill (and started her music career there).

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone been to see Laura Mvula?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a band that I've always thought had fairly middle of the road songs, Walking on Cars are absolutely brilliant live. Remind me of Biffy Clyro in their heyday.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Anyone been to see Laura Mvula?
    Single mums and virgins.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Single mums and virgins.
    Sounds like my kind of night.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few excellent encounters recently.

Kano at Tramshed in Cardiff was in incredible form. Well worth catching.

Sleaford Mods were a last minute buy and whilst I'm not very familiar with their material I'd seen enough to know I'd love it. Like John Cooper Clarke with a fella playing Human League records behind him, and literally just pressing play then nodding his head throughout. Very much a cathartic one for the majority of those their I think... they've got an interestingly crusty following. Very good.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought tickets to Los Campesinos again for May 1st 2017(!). I guess that is one way to commit to being in the UK until then.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to see the Clemster at the Ritz in Manchester. Tix pretty cheap actually, only £21.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just booked up to see FOTC in Glasgow. £65 a ticket.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you booked it yourself for yourself then why

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to The War on Drugs tonight

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A show or an actual march or something?

EDIT - Not the weekend thread.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Band.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got your sash m8?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're excellent. Probably the funniest live show I've ever been to.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who or what is FOTC anyway?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flight of the Conchords. Musical comedy act that had a TV show a few years ago.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck Off Trialist Cunt.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Least you only need to buy one.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got Steve Earle tickets

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it got cancelled but had non refundable hotel so spent over 200 quid on a night out in the west end. Rearranged for the day after my bday in June so booked the hotel again lol.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back from RM Hubbert tonight. Nice to finally get a local gig under my belt instead of venturing off to Newcastle. Hubby was fantastic.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Back from RM Hubbert tonight. Nice to finally get a local gig under my belt instead of venturing off to Newcastle. Hubby was fantastic.
    Good of him to take you out.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giggles FTW there

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to see Steven Wilson in a couple of months and I'm really pumped. Last time I saw him was one of the best gigs I've been to.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I am going to see Steven Wilson in a couple of months and I'm really pumped. Last time I saw him was one of the best gigs I've been to.
    I was tempted given the amount of PT stuff he is playing. However, I simply cannot abide his solo material. It's just SO pretentious. It hurts. And if I'm honest with myself, I didn't really enjoy anything PT did after Deadwing.

Lightbulb Sun will forever remain one of my favourite albums of all time. Stupid Dream too and Signify. Immense stuff. Seeing PT a few times before their hiatus too was good. They played Sever at one of those gigs. Unffffff.

I have so many gigs this summer - Thom Yorke, Perfect Circle, 65dos, Elvis Costello, Mogwai, NIN, QOTSA, Bjork. And that's just early-June to early-July.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    I was tempted given the amount of PT stuff he is playing. However, I simply cannot abide his solo material. It's just SO pretentious. It hurts. And if I'm honest with myself, I didn't really enjoy anything PT did after Deadwing.

Lightbulb Sun will forever remain one of my favourite albums of all time. Stupid Dream too and Signify. Immense stuff. Seeing PT a few times before their hiatus too was good. They played Sever at one of those gigs. Unffffff.

I have so many gigs this summer - Thom Yorke, Perfect Circle, 65dos, Elvis Costello, Mogwai, NIN, QOTSA, Bjork. And that's just early-June to early-July.
    I don't mind his new stuff either personally. Have you heard of Riverside by the way? They've got a touch of PT in them:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to years ago - I recall having their first album but it got waylaid. I'll revisit it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent night watching the Manics and The Coral.

The latter had their mics cut out twice. Still don't think much of them beyond their three big'ns. Vocals definitely sound better live, though. The Manics played Faster for the first time in years. Fuck. Not entirely sold on their new album or the videos with some Chinese woman gawping at Wales. Not as good as when they played Times Square in August but that outdoor gig had a fuckton of atmosphere.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manics usually deliver live. Coral have been stale for years now, but they’re usually a lot of fun.

Managed to bag some last-minute tickets for Gomez’s 20th anniversary tour of Bring It On. Very excited for this next week.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decemberists in Leeds at the weekend and then down to London for Teenage Fanclub next week. Both should be good, but I'm massively excited for Fanclub. One of my all-time favourite bands and I've never seen them live before. The original bassist (who writes a lot of the songs) is leaving after this tour too, so I kind of see it as it won't actually be "them" anymore once he's gone. So I'm just happy I got a ticket.

I also saw Bloc Party at the Alexandra Palace a couple of weeks ago. They're on this Silent Alarm tour, playing it in full. In typically awkward fashion they decided to play it in reverse order. All the best songs are at the beginning of the record, to be fair. So I can sort of see why they did that. Everyone seemed to love it but I thought they were just alright, if I'm honest. I don't really like the Ally Pally though. I think it's a bit of a shit venue.

My main takeaway from it is that Kele looks like he's spent the last decade in the gym, he's massive now.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Decemberists in Leeds at the weekend and then down to London for Teenage Fanclub next week. Both should be good, but I'm massively excited for Fanclub. One of my all-time favourite bands and I've never seen them live before. The original bassist (who writes a lot of the songs) is leaving after this tour too, so I kind of see it as it won't actually be "them" anymore once he's gone. So I'm just happy I got a ticket.

I also saw Bloc Party at the Alexandra Palace a couple of weeks ago. They're on this Silent Alarm tour, playing it in full. In typically awkward fashion they decided to play it in reverse order. All the best songs are at the beginning of the record, to be fair. So I can sort of see why they did that. Everyone seemed to love it but I thought they were just alright, if I'm honest. I don't really like the Ally Pally though. I think it's a bit of a shit venue.

My main takeaway from it is that Kele looks like he's spent the last decade in the gym, he's massive now.
    I saw the Decemberists at the height of my fandom in...November 2009 @ The Coronet according to last.fm. They were good, but it was the 2009 tour for the hazards of love and I didn't like that album, and I've not really listened to them for the last 9 years. Anything recent worth checking out?

I really loved Silent Alarm when it came out, but I don't think it's aged well. I don't think any of the mid-00s nme bands have really. Agreed on Ally Pally being shit, it looks nice but awful acoustics.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I saw the Decemberists at the height of my fandom in...November 2009 @ The Coronet according to last.fm. They were good, but it was the 2009 tour for the hazards of love and I didn't like that album, and I've not really listened to them for the last 9 years. Anything recent worth checking out?

I really loved Silent Alarm when it came out, but I don't think it's aged well. I don't think any of the mid-00s nme bands have really. Agreed on Ally Pally being shit, it looks nice but awful acoustics.
    Exactly. Everything just always sounds a bit flat to me in there. I also hate the location. It does look nice, obviously. But it's just so out of the fucking way. What I'm saying, I suppose, is that I don't like it because it's difficult to get to/leave without eating into a significant portion of the nights drinking time.

With The Decemberists, I would say The King is Dead, which is the album that came straight after Hazards of Love, is worth checking out. I really liked that one. The last couple have been alright too, but that was the last high water mark for me.

I actually think Silent Alarm has aged a lot better than the vast majority of music that came out of that era but I get what you mean, it is still very synonymous with that time for me. I was hit with the feeling of "it's not 2005, I'm not 18, this isn't as good" at numerous points during that gig.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stacey Kent at Bury met Sundaynight. Easy listening jazz, found it all a bit samey then they let the drummer do an almost ten minute improv and I lost my shit. Good vibes.

Massive Attack at the MEN Jan 29th too, Mezzanine XX1. One of my Christmas presents. Fucking buzzing about it.

Saw Kikagaku Moyo at Gorilla on Wednesday. Psychedelic rock, and it was utterly fucking amazing. They're so fucking good live.

26 minutes onwards on that vid. Played it at the gig and everyone lost their shit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65dos next weekend, followed by a christening so I can't get hammered. The write up for the gig sounds complete wankery and they're being supported by Johanna Bramli who looks hot but just does noise. Might legit leave early if it goes completely south.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65dos are the absolute tits live. Seen then two or three times now and I can think of few instrumental acts that compensate so wholly for there being no vocals. Their decomposition stuff is srsly clever too. I think they’re debuting a whole new set of it atm. The oldies always sound huge too. Debutante always a mega highlight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got Gary Numan on Sunday.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    65dos are the absolute tits live. Seen then two or three times now and I can think of few instrumental acts that compensate so wholly for there being no vocals. Their decomposition stuff is srsly clever too. I think they’re debuting a whole new set of it atm. The oldies always sound huge too. Debutante always a mega highlight.
    Yeah, Decomposition Theory is what I'm seeing. My worry is they'll stick with soundtracks and 'projects' and never do a proper album again.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, that was tough to listen to. I've never known a 75 minute of a band I like to drag on so much. Some left early, others chuntered in disdain. One person shouted "Shit!" at the end of Johanna Bramli's set, causing the rest to clap.

Fuck.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listened to 54 seconds of Retreat! Retreat! and it felt like 4 minutes so I can imagine.

I had the same feeling seeing Kendrick Lamar live to be honest. Just wanted him to be done.