User Tag List

Page 7 of 199 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, channel 4 had it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked it up, season two starts on Channel 4 next monday.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone still watching South Park? Just dawned on me that I haven't seen any episodes from the last two seasons.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking Dead is back

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got round to watching the second series of Penny Dreadful, which was a solid improvement on the first to the point where I'd now class it as genuinely good TV as opposed to the previous moderately hokey fun. It's got some of the best writing, characters and actors on TV, but I think it's still being let down a bit by the main plot, which is a bit nonsense and as with the first season, really rushed through at the end.

Even Billie Piper ended up being pretty good in it, which must win some sort of award for the most unlikely thing ever.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Second episode of The Leftovers, first of the second series of Fargo, and the new Walking Dead tonight, all on at the same time. What do Americans who aren't filthy pirates do?
    PVRs and on-demand services, surely? There must be plenty of legit options in the US for watching that stuff when it's just been on TV.

I've been watching You're the Worst recently which isn't too bad. Quite a nice cynical comedy rather than a lot of the far-too-happy and sickly sweet stuff you often get from the US.

I watched the first episode of Justified earlier today as well. People on here loved that, didn't they? Seemed decent from the first episode. It'll probably take me a few to get properly into it though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I watched the first episode of Justified earlier today as well. People on here loved that, didn't they? Seemed decent from the first episode. It'll probably take me a few to get properly into it though.
    I am a big fan, but you have to give it a while. The first half of the first season is a little weird and out of step with the rest of it (individual standalone episodes), so most of the weaker episodes are in the little bit you are coming up to. The second bit of season 1 where it becomes a lot more serialised is good stuff, and it takes off from there.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PVRs and on-demand services, surely? There must be plenty of legit options in the US for watching that stuff when it's just been on TV.

I've been watching You're the Worst recently which isn't too bad. Quite a nice cynical comedy rather than a lot of the far-too-happy and sickly sweet stuff you often get from the US.

It wasn't a serious question. We have Sky+.

'You're The Worst' seems like a title that should have been trademarked by the Parks people for a future Jean-Ralphio spinoff. I've heard some good things about it, but haven't watched any of it yet.

Justified takes a while to properly get going in terms of plot, but the characters are richly drawn and the dialogue is absolutely perfect from the get go.

For those of you who didn't watch Fargo before, the first ten episodes are on Netflix now, and you're going to want to watch them because they're fucking brilliant and the second ten start tonight.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen odd episodes of Justified and it really is enjoyable stuff. The setting is brilliantly conveyed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't heard of it, but having checked the synopsis on IMDB, I'm still none the wiser.

Old-school U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens is reassigned from Miami to his childhood home in the poor, rural coal-mining towns in Eastern Kentucky.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't a serious question. We have Sky+.
    I did think of that before posting but then I thought it only lets you watch one channel while recording another so if three programmes were clashing you'd have to find some other way to watch the third, no? I was just trying to say that the on-demand options over there must be so much better though since our TV channels takes ages to import American stuff so it's so much easier/more necessary to be a pirate over here if you want to watch things at the pace they actually come out at (i.e. US pace).

'You're The Worst' seems like a title that should have been trademarked by the Parks people for a future Jean-Ralphio spinoff. I've heard some good things about it, but haven't watched any of it yet.
    It's not brilliant or anything but it's got enough laughs in it to keep me watching.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I hadn't heard of it, but having checked the synopsis on IMDB, I'm still none the wiser.
    If Phonics didn't recommend it a couple of weeks ago when you were asking for new things to watch it could only have been because he didn't see your post.

A bloke works for the US Marshal's, he has a sort of 'shoot first, ask questions later' policy which leads to some problems, and in the end the only office that'll take him is the one in the region from which he came. Old family feuds and various other problems arise from there.

It's very entertaining, though I've only seen into season four so can't comment beyond that.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Justified, guess who the bad guy in Arrow is?

So good.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was well pleased when he turned up. I'm happy for him to just be Quarles again if he wants. Such a great villain.

Also, how ridiculous does Diggle look in his "costume". Which seems to just consist of a stupid helmet. It makes it funnier that he's all angry and shit now and just looks a complete tit.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of him leading a crime fighting team that includes Laurel and Thea is so laughable it almost makes sense that the city has fallen to pieces within minutes.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, "Team Arrow" are a complete shower of shit. Thea getting shot at whilst giving it the typical teenage girl 'Oh my God! This is so awesome!" spiel was cringeworthy as fuck. Oliver's "I am the.........GREEN Arrow" speech was very anti-climatic as well. I don't think anybody is going to care that you've added a colour to the name of the (supposed) previous guy, mate.

Other than Quarles turning up I wasn't hugely sold on it as a season opener if I'm honest.

I'm currently catching up on the last few episodes of season one of The Flash, because that's back too and I stopped watching with about four to go for some reason. Oliver just turned up in the penultimate episode and it's reminded me how much cooler he was in the Al Sah-Him get up.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we're on the subject of terrible comic book shows, how's Heroes Reborn?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    Got round to watching the second series of Penny Dreadful, which was a solid improvement on the first to the point where I'd now class it as genuinely good TV as opposed to the previous moderately hokey fun. It's got some of the best writing, characters and actors on TV, but I think it's still being let down a bit by the main plot, which is a bit nonsense and as with the first season, really rushed through at the end.

Even Billie Piper ended up being pretty good in it, which must win some sort of award for the most unlikely thing ever.
    Really? I might finally get around to it then.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three seasons of Archer down. What a show.

"I'm not a serial killer..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent looking programme about spoken word poetry on BBC4 at the mo if any of you philistine cunts are interested.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Decent looking programme about spoken word poetry on BBC4 at the mo if any of you philistine cunts are interested.
    Can't. Wheeler Dealers is on.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Three seasons of Archer down. What a show.

"I'm not a serial killer..."
    I absolutely fucking blitzed the whole of Archer and then wished I hadn't because I didn't have it to watch any more

It's fantastic.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you Archer lovers haven't seen Bob's Burgers, get on it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That show is bad. All these modern cartoons are. I saw that one with the Park Rangers a while back and it's fucking terrrible.

edit:

This nonsense

So wacky.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Archer or Bob's Burgers?

It doesn't matter, you're wrong either way.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Admitting to not liking custard and Archer/Bob's Burgers on the same night

Can we overthrow him now?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Burgers one. Archer was quite good until it jumped the shark around the Archer Vice period.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Can't. Wheeler Dealers is on.
    Why does the one in the garage always SHOUT so much?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you Archer lovers haven't seen Bob's Burgers, get on it.
    Indeed, it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The Burgers one. Archer was quite good until it jumped the shark around the Archer Vice period.
    You're wrong about Bob's and whilst Archer Vice wasn't that great it was still decent enough and they pulled it back again with the newest season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw the first two episodes of heroes reborn and it was a totally disgrace. I do understand they are introducing new characters but... Bitch please!

And what was that excrement about a video game? I can see the bright side, it can't go lower.

Most disgusting thing is that I am eager to see the next episodes in hope it gets at least near the quality of first season but please no more video games! And yes I see the interest in Asian and Spanish markets behind these bad ideas.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season two of Fargo is off to a hell of a start. That was absolutely brilliant.

I haven't watched the second episode of The Leftovers yet. I'll get into it later.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting towards the end of season five of Workaholics, and starting to realise I'm really gonna miss it. Might even be my favourite comedy show ever. I laugh out loud at least once an episode, and Adam Devine absolutely nails his character everytime. It's made even better by the fact that the three (well, four if you count Carl) guys write it themselves.

I've already planned to get back into It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia when I'm done with it, because I stopped after season two first time round. I just hate how low budget it was when it started.

Thankfully there will be at least two more seasons of Workaholics in the future.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the first season of Ballers earlier.

I love it. It is very Entourage-like and that's wonderful. Also, Denzel Washington's son sounds scarily like his Dad, Anabelle Acosta needs to marry me and failing that I'll take Arielle Kebbel.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Gorman's raising the 'not actual game footage' in video game adverts, as I did on the old board.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise that was Denzel's son, but it all makes sense now.

I liked it too. Good, light entertainment. Great soundtrack as well. The bald, white agent guy annoyed me a bit though. He just felt like a shit version of Charlie Runkle from Californication.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Gorman's raising the 'not actual game footage' in video game adverts, as I did on the old board.
    The jigsaw bit he just did was brilliant.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'Sugar Puffs' bit from a few weeks ago was an almost word for word retread of something from a previous series, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't suggesting he reads TTH.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither was I. Where the Dickens has that come from?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'Sugar Puffs' bit from a few weeks ago was an almost word for word retread of something from a previous series, I'm sure.
    The "not the scariest tracksuited monster from the 70s" line was on the advert so I'd seen it about 100 times before it aired. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fargo was outstanding. One of the best series openers I've seen in a long time in any show.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This jigsaw thing is brilliant.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intrigued by this Fargo hype, I loved the first season. Are you guys downloading it?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never knew what Fargo was but seen a trailer the other day that looked really good. How many series in is it?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your complete refusal to actually read the thread you're posting in is beginning to become vaguely endearing.

It's at the beginning of the second, but it's an anthology so season one is a complete story, and season two will tell a separate story.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. It's based on the Coen Brothers movie.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone's looking for a quick, self-contained series that's a bit different to the normal recommendations, I suggest they watch the Australian comedy series 'Utopia'.

It's centered around an infrastructure department commissioned by the government, and how they deal with government meddling, special interest groups, etc. I realise this is sounding very dry, but it's more like Parks and Recreation, albeit a little more plot-driven and a little less character-driven. And it's largely very funny. Worth a watch.

Two seasons, eight episodes per season, half an hour each. Very digestible.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the original Australian version of Comedy Central's 'Review with Forrest MacNeill', Ital?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a bloody brilliant Australian political thriller a while back. It was in about six parts. You'll have to help me with the title, but one of the lead characters was an autistic computer hacker and the other one was a journalist. It was refreshingly lacking in corporate production values, whilst still having a modern sheen.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Code.