User Tag List

Page 6 of 200 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I watched the first season of Continuum. It had quite a nice time loop thing going on and the casting director deserved every award going for that year for the actor he/she found to play the 'older' version of one character, but it's basically bobbins. I reckon it's right up your street, as long as you don't go into it expecting The Wire.

Have a look at Falling Skies, Boyd. The 'Skitters' lols alone should see you through about fifty episodes.
    Aye, I'm not expecting The Wire, like. I just like these nonsense sci-fi shows.

I saw the trailer of Falling Skies but I thought the CGI aliens (skitters lol) looked pretty ropey.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CGI is crap, but CGI in television shows is almost always crap.

Ideally you'd watch Battlestar Galactica, which has the trappings of a 'nonsense sci-fi show' and could probably be enjoyed on that level, but uses that base to tell some seriously great stories. That said, the first episode would probably put most people looking for mindless bunk off right away. It's genuinely grim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

I saw the trailer of Falling Skies but I thought the CGI aliens (skitters lol) looked pretty ropey.
    Sounds like you'd like The 100 - basically someone nuked earth, and like a few hundred years later they send 100 people down too see if it's okay to live on again. It's worth a watch, lots of stories develop.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do? Apologies then, Continuum is bang in that category.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally you'd watch Battlestar Galactica, which has the trappings of a 'nonsense sci-fi show' and could probably be enjoyed on that level, but uses that base to tell some seriously great stories. That said, the first episode would probably put most people looking for mindless bunk off right away. It's genuinely grim.
    It gets a bit better CGI wise.

The final season annoyed me purely because all these fucking military men decided to hold their rifles sideways.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    You do? Apologies then, Continuum is bang in that category.
    Yeah, I've been talking about Jericho and Revolution - both were so rubbish they got cancelled after two seasons. Not really into space stuff but post-apocalyptic or time travelling themes, yes please.

Also Orphan Black is great but it's an actually good show. Not fluff like these others.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I've started watching Seinfeld at long last. It is good but the stand up bits in between are pretty relentlessly shit, I usually just skip through them now.
    They get better later on but still could do without them.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Falling Skies is bunk. There's crap telly and then there's telly that's actually crap.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been talking about Jericho and Revolution - both were so rubbish they got cancelled after two seasons. Not really into space stuff but post-apocalyptic or time travelling themes, yes please.

Also Orphan Black is great but it's an actually good show. Not fluff like these others.
    Continuum can be pretty silly at times but it's enjoyable fare, considering what you've said, I reverse my position.

You'd like it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I always thought it was one of those really bad sci-fi series that only Star Trek geeks watched?

Fringe is amazing, talking about Sci-fi. At least I fucking loved that series.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that TV version of Limitless as wank as any TV show based off a movie sounds?

Boydy, have you watched Justified? I think it'd give you the kick you're looking for.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Really? I always thought it was one of those really bad sci-fi series that only Star Trek geeks watched?

Fringe is amazing, talking about Sci-fi. At least I fucking loved that series.
    Nope. It was genuinely great.

Fringe was good for a couple of years, with John Noble carrying the entire enterprise on his back at times, but I produced some splenetic rants about it on the old board. There's a narrative choice going into, I think, season four that's among the worst I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they split the timelines it fell to pieces. It was much better as a mystery of the week with overarching narrative show.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was completely amazing throughout. The only thing that felt slightly off was the very last season, but that was apparently not "meant" to happen. At the same time that did tie up some loose ends anyway.

The split timelines thing wasn't too bad, although Fauxlivia was a little fucking annoying.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell there's a Minority Report TV show too? Who is paying to produce all these movie > TV shows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Bloody hell there's a Minority Report TV show too? Who is paying to produce all these movie > TV shows?
    Yeah but it's really shit, probably last another 2 weeks.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ad for Sherlock that was just on BBC One better be just set 100 years ago for the sake of the ad and not a sign of what's coming.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched the first episode of Quantico. It's Homeland meets Saved By The Bell. It's probably absolute rubbish but there is something a bit moreish about it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who enjoyed Mean Girls, Scream Queens is fucking amazing. It's so hilariously over the top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I struggle to believe the guys who came up with Glee and American Horror Story have since created something that warrants comparison to Mean Girls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended Gotham and I recommend.
    Also finished Last man on earth and even the end was meh, the show got some heavy laughs from me.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arrow is still walking that tightrope between quality and god awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only watch arrow and flash for that matter if I have no other show to watch and loads of time to kill.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did not realise sons of anarchy was seven series.

I thought it was five.

Also discovered another series of grey's anatomy available

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how they're really upping the ante with these cancer stories on Gogglebox. Doting widower robbed of his inseparable best friend of 30 years obviously didn't bring enough donations in, roll out the dead 10 year old. What next, a bus full of pregnant women crushed by a giant, novelty tumour?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first season of Fear the Walking Dead was enjoyable enough. Nice to see another take on the world falling to shit.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why have they made a spin-off of The Walking Dead when it's still going? What's different about it?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different shade of shit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy to make and it's in a stand alone universe. This one is back at the start but based in LA.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck off have they done that. Jesus.

They must interlink the stories at some point which means dragging the shit out of the walking dead.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Narcos is decent but I kind of hoped the voiceover was a first episode, scene-setting thing. Bit annoyed now, and lazy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Narcos is decent but I kind of hoped the voiceover was a first episode, scene-setting thing. Bit annoyed now, and lazy.
    I still haven't picked it back up because of it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also should have also ended after 1 season.
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched the first three episodes of The Americans, I think it's brilliant.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelsaint View Post
    Ended Gotham and I recommend.
    Also finished Last man on earth and even the end was meh, the show got some heavy laughs from me.
    Did you not find that Last Man fell to pieces as soon as it tried to move beyond treating the world as a huge playground? The characters were all flimsy and changeable, so the moment it tried to become a character piece it shit the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    The first season of Fear the Walking Dead was enjoyable enough. Nice to see another take on the world falling to shit.
    I haven't watched the last episode yet, but...

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    Watched the first three episodes of The Americans, I think it's brilliant.

I started re-watching it on Netflix. The opening scene with Tusk playing is so fucking good.

"Which year? Because '64 to '72 were pussies, they didn't even medal.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you not find that Last Man fell to pieces as soon as it tried to move beyond treating the world as a huge playground? The characters were all flimsy and changeable, so the moment it tried to become a character piece it shit the bed.

Yes, I did. Therefore I made a pause and watched Gotham instead, picked up again after I was finished with Gotham.
    Still was funny and let's not forget it is a comedy not a drama.

Anywho is this Americans show any good? I felt tempted to watch it but the risk of being Americans wanking themselves how great they are like they subliminaly do it in house of cards made me never start on it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    I still haven't picked it back up because of it.
    I'm still watching becuase it's entertaining enough. Don't understand why they persisted with the VO though, most of the time it's completely redundant.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toggle Spoiler
    I didn't realise that was the angle they were trying to portray so it shows how successful it was. I didn't realise the LA thing either... (clearly not paying attention).

Agree on the leads. I like that a lot of them have gone from zero to fucking kill the zombies no matter what within a few episodes. None of the moral agonising.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'm still watching becuase it's entertaining enough. Don't understand why they persisted with the VO though, most of the time it's completely redundant.
    I genuinely think they thought the audience couldn't listen to Spanish for extended periods of time without getting bored.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelsaint View Post
    Yes, I did. Therefore I made a pause and watched Gotham instead, picked up again after I was finished with Gotham.
    Still was funny and let's not forget it is a comedy not a drama.

Anywho is this Americans show any good? I felt tempted to watch it but the risk of being Americans wanking themselves how great they are like they subliminaly do it in house of cards made me never start on it.
    A comedy still needs sturdy characters, particularly when it's trying to use their natures to generate the laughs. Gotham is terrible, so the less said about that the better.

The Americans is about Russian agents working against America in the eighties. Seems like your reading of that was much like your reading of the title of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I didn't realise that was the angle they were trying to portray so it shows how successful it was. I didn't realise the LA thing either... (clearly not paying attention).

Agree on the leads. I like that a lot of them have gone from zero to fucking kill the zombies no matter what within a few episodes. None of the moral agonising.
    Yeah, the point was to show what happened in between. How society broke down and shambling twats with no survival instinct overwhelmed the military.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Gotham is getting worse with every episode.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been years since I've watched it, but I started thinking about Lost again the other day and having sorted through a couple of hard drives this morning I realised I still had all of this.

http://www.chronologicallylost.com/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second episode of The Leftovers, first of the second series of Fargo, and the new Walking Dead tonight, all on at the same time. What do Americans who aren't filthy pirates do?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the first episode of The Leftovers do ok as far as ratings go?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea.

Viewership for the first run was dismal even by HBO standards though, so I doubt it'll have been a ratings winner.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just looked only just over 700,000 watched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...overs_episodes

Goodnight sweet prince.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they're not getting a third on those numbers. That said, they'll probably go up, because the official numbers are based on some live+7 thing which allows for people watching it within the next week having recorded it, and those numbers won't be available yet, so we'll see how that changes.

For context, Game of Thrones does about eight million viewers a week, Walking Dead does about fifteen, and fucking NCIS regularly tops twenty.

I wonder if anything will ever come close to MASH, the finale of which drew one hundred and twenty million viewers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Fargo season two on british TV at around the same time as American like Walking Dead?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it. Has the first lot even been on here at all yet?