Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 1786

Thread: The yankee mass shootings thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Given we know guns are going nowhere, something needs to be done to give the victims a fighting chance.
    I would bet my house on one of the teachers turning their gun on the kids long before they had a chance to take down a gunman.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I would bet my house on one of the teachers turning their gun on the kids long before they had a chance to take down a gunman.
    Indeed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well course, but guns are never going to be restricted enough to stop this happening so the conversation should turn to what else can be done. I like the properly armed security guard angle and if there's a net increase in the number of killings through that approach you go back to the drawing board.

Columbine was 23 years ago now and it keeps happening, so surely somebody in the US must be looking at practical and realistic ways to stop/mitigate this shit?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 seperate armed cops engaged with him and ran away because they’re all giant pussies. It’s a fucking terrible idea. All they do is go round bullying children and then disappear the moment they’re needed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    4 seperate cops engaged with him and ran away because they’re all giant pussies. It’s a fucking terrible idea. All they do is go round bullying children and then disappear the moment they’re needed.
    What were they armed with?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ED-209s for all!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NRA Launches "Arm A Toddler" Campaign To Combat Rise of Teacher-On-Student Mass Shootings.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll wind up getting employed as teachers.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What were they armed with?
    All cops have pistols and didn’t fire a shot at him until he’d killed 18 kids because they were scared. Cops are giant pussies who prioritise ‘coming home safe’ over protecting people.

You want to put a private militia armed with ak47s in the school?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All cops have pistols and didn’t fire a shot at him until he’d killed 18 kids because they were scared. Cops are giant pussies who prioritise ‘coming home safe’ over protecting people.

I don't want to do anything, as thankfully I don't live there and never will. I'm just thoroughly bored with the never ending loop of:

1) We need gun control
    2) We don't want gun control
    3) ?????
    4) School (and other) shootings solved. Oh.

So you can say these ideas are as shit as you like and they may well be, but what is the solution or at least something that can be done that would help? There must be something.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only answer we've found that works is "less guns". It's worked everywhere It's been tried. "More guns" has failed every time and has now resulted in "well there's too many guns to ban them now".

I don't know that there is a solution. Not while it's legal for Billionaires to keep Congress under their thumbs, anyway. It would take generational change at this point.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah imagine being scared of someone with an assault rifle.

The issue here is expecting some random cop with a pistol to be prepared to take on someone with an automatic weapon.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only answer we've found that works is "less guns". It's worked everywhere It's been tried.
    As is clear by now, not an option.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    When I was a boy we shot each other with potato guns for the fun of it. Folk are soft these days.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we need is a product recall to really shake up consumer confidence. Think Smith and Wesson hand grips giving you AIDS.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/teache...ters-1.4584612

He announces they've all passed.
    Six of her shots hit the child in the head.
    ...they've all passed

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Librarian Jace Daily is visibly shaken after seeing that some of the shots she fired hit the child in her training target. 'I need some practice,' she admits."

What a country.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Online learning it is then.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    School librarian Jace Daily hugs a wall as a trainer tries to get into her classroom during a simulated school-shooting exercise. She's wearing protective equipment because the training rounds are about 10 times more powerful than a paintball.
    Guys. Paintball. Switch every gun overnight to fire paintball rounds.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to do anything, as thankfully I don't live there and never will. I'm just thoroughly bored with the never ending loop of:

1) We need gun control
    2) We don't want gun control
    3) ?????
    4) School (and other) shootings solved. Oh.

So you can say these ideas are as shit as you like and they may well be, but what is the solution or at least something that can be done that would help? There must be something.
    This is the correct thought process. You see it work in the US all the time as well but it is a long slow grinding unsexy process that works like this:

1) Find local interest groups to partner with (businesses who want reduced insurance, local community groups, local gun clubs, or whoever)
    2) Push a signature campaign with these groups to get ordnances on the ballot. Lots of different ones in communities all over.
    3) Get people to show up in local elections where you only need a couple thousand people to pass something instead of wasting time on bills where you don’t have enough elected officials.
    4) Start pushing cases through the courts to see what sticks / what doesn’t. Supreme Court has already said it isn’t an unlimited right.
    5) Electeds in state legislatures start to pass bills because it is what their constituents want. Look at all the nonsense anti-abortion bills that are on the books that will become law when the Supreme Court guts Roe.
    6) Finally, the pressure builds on National electeds or enough laws / cases have been pushed to make precedent.

The answer is politics. Local politics works in the US and the people who practice it win. Worked for civil rights, marriage equality, pro-life, and gun enthusiasts. Try getting an abortion in Texas or Louisiana. The right is there but good luck accessing it. When the process starts nobody really knows what the exact bill, law, regulation is that will work. However, push it in enough communities and you can learn. But it is a long slow process that used to be more common in the US and only the right practices it anymore.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the moaning's in the wrong direction. Shouting at Biden and Harris won't change shit unless half those kids are Kamala's.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And at the end of all that, all you have to do is confiscate millions and millions of guns from people who will have bitterly opposed every single step along the way. The losing side in the marriage debate didn't actually have to suck any cock afterwards.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A not small minority of the opposing side was probably sucking cock the whole time anyway.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitter opposition that can't shoot for shit.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did he get into the school? Did he just walk in? If they're not going to do anything about guns then maybe they should just lock down schools like prisons.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    How did he get into the school? Did he just walk in? If they're not going to do anything about guns then maybe they should just lock down schools like prisons.
    He crashed his car directly outside it and the cops 'engaged with him' and then ran away.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly Lewis, we (Americans that is) have to admit we don’t have a fucking clue and are just distracting ourselves.

I grew up in 80’s Louisiana. There were lots of guns. Not lots of mass shooting. What changed? Not a fucking clue.

I was in the military for five years from 90-95. Literally saw the US military switch from fully automatic AR15 based to semiautomatic because Desert Storm taught us that you can’t hit shit with an AR15 based system on automatic fire. We never got a single piece of training on using it with full auto and the only time we used it? When the LT didn’t want to have to try and count up all the unused rounds on forms at the range and we needed to burn a couple hundred rounds.

Cops are shit because they get the lethality training but not the aggression training. They can put the number of rounds that match their weapon’s stopping power into center mass. Be able to be in a stressful situation without fight or flight kicking in. No. You train for that constantly through live fire exercises and whatnot. They are just bombs waiting to happen on the civilian population.

And the debates? Yelling at my in-laws that the shotguns they have to shoot ducks are causing mass murder doesn’t seem particularly good strategy. They are not opposed on spec to gun control but they have had shotguns their whole lives and have never seen anyone shot at or killed by one of their guns. Just screaming about taking everything just makes them stop listening.

The NRA of my childhood was different than what it is now. It was about local clubs and gun safety classes. Even now, most gun owners are fine with increased gun controls. But nobody is bypassing all the shit throwers of national politics.

And really, we have no clue how to stop it all. A lot of the cases are people who slipped through existing laws. So how do you make sure those laws are being enforced properly?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    This is exactly what they're supposed to be paid to do.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't America just change from Serial Killers to Spree Killers? There's Fast Food culture for you.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind it if my university gave me a free shotgun and a handful of lessons. At least I could take some lol pictures to share with you, and banter with the students.

Don't make me take out the shotgun.
    *Gets perfect evaluations*

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't America just change from Serial Killers to Spree Killers? There's Fast Food culture for you.
    It was postal workers in the 80’s. Does the UK have an equivalent phrase to “going postal”? They don’t seem to shoot up post offices anymore.

Maybe we just need a mental health regime of making people sort mail for an hour a day. Can’t be any dumber than arming the schools. Sure, let’s introduce an element of friendly fire / accidental shooting across the breadth of the US school system. Let’s say a given armed population has a 5% accidental shooting rate.

US School System
    103,900 schools or about 5,000 school shootings
    4 million armed teachers or 200,000 incidents
    77 million school kids …. It’s bad enough without thinking through this number.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our posties just dump the mail bags. No murder required, just a lot of inconvenience. Inconvenience is like murder to us.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    It was postal workers in the 80’s. Does the UK have an equivalent phrase to “going postal”? They don’t seem to shoot up post offices anymore.

Maybe we just need a mental health regime of making people sort mail for an hour a day. Can’t be any dumber than arming the schools. Sure, let’s introduce an element of friendly fire / accidental shooting across the breadth of the US school system. Let’s say a given armed population has a 5% accidental shooting rate.

US School System
    103,900 schools or about 5,000 school shootings
    4 million armed teachers or 200,000 incidents
    77 million school kids …. It’s bad enough without thinking through this number.
    We say "Going Postal" too, although if we were being true to our own postal workers that would just mean pretending to knock on doors and throwing parcels at open upstairs windows. Not quite the same vibe.

We don't really have an equivalent to your modern day antics because we just don't have the weaponry. Things were fair in the Serial Killing days because it was about getting the job done and not getting caught. But our psychos are definitely at a disadvantage now you've switched to Arcade Mode. There's no beating the timer with a knife. They tried cars for a while, but now all attractions have giant cement Lego blocks lining the road so that's not really viable any more.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of those Columbine kids wound up winning 3 Grand Slams either.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what they're supposed to be paid to do.
    Ok, so having seen a bit more about this now, it wasn't just some cop on the street with a handgun. It was literally their swat team with assault rifles who stood around refusing to go in (once some of them had got their own kids out obviously).

So yeah, fucking hell.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 27-05-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61604652

The gunman roamed outside the Uvalde school for 12 minutes before entering unchallenged, police said on Thursday.

He killed 19 children and two teachers before he was shot dead 90 minutes after he arrived, police said.

That delay, combined with video footage showing frustrated parents being tackled and handcuffed by police while the gunman was still inside the school, has led to growing public anger and scrutiny of the early response.

Yeah, they're useless.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rare dub for Phonics. What the fuck?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it didn't frequently involve a pile of dead kids (the stories of them smearing themselves with their friends blood in order to hide and being caught out shouting for help are horrendous) the responses to these things would be hilarious. The main advice from the idiots/financially invested seems to be recommending arming more people, presumably so they can stand outside as well and keep the police company, and less doors. If Mellin hadn't run off with with all our money it would be worth betting the cops killed at least one after they bothered to go in.
    Last edited by Disco; 27-05-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have thought if there was one state where the cops would want to yeehaw it with their guns at the drop of a hat it'd be Texas but I suppose it's trickier when it's a heavily armed mental and not an unarmed ethnic.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also this cracking piece of thinking:

In which critical race theory would appear to simply mean the history of America over the last couple hundred years.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing says "woke" like murdering children.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't even not murder children these days, Spikey. It's PC gone mad!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PC Gone-Mad has now been issued with an automatic assault truncheon and an armoured bicycle.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bad egg or two might get guns if we outlaw them so we might as well let everyone including ALL the bad eggs get them.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What have eggs ever done to you?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egg Lives Matter

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US police have always adopted this policy haven't they? Rick Rescorla was calling them slack jawed fannies back when Columbine happened.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rare dub for Phonics. What the fuck?
    Always treat power with conceit and you'll always be right.