User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Veganism

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, it's stupid to try to say we should all stop eating meat. But going full Republican and justifying the massive exploitation of animals by appealing to the food stamp people is so disingenuous.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought experiment: if they could make genetically identical, lab-grown human meat, would you eat it?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Thought experiment: if they could make genetically identical, lab-grown human meat, would you eat it?
    Depends on the price. Will it be cheaper than real human?

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    People who operate inside the vegan subcultures that intersect directly with other subcultures like yogis, paleos, spiritualists and don't trust "science" are all morons. You can get better quality produce from a specially-engineered seacan with perfect growing conditions than you can on a farm. You can let the farmers transition their lands to environmental reserves to preserve regional biodiversity, and the farmers can become the people who operate the seacans. Do the same with ranchers with your specially-engineered meat silos, and the world is golden again with locally-sourced, resource-efficient, cruelty-free foods.

I understand why people choose to go vegan for animal cruelty or environmental reasons (vegan diets tend to be locally-oriented), but if those people refuse to get on board with lab-grown foods, they're idiots.
    Why are they stupid? Vitamin B12 aside, you can get most required nutrients from plant based foods. In fact, there is more calcium in kale than there is in milk.

Is it not a bit weird that we drink cows breast milk? That stuff is for developing a 100lb calf into a 1500lb cow. Don't see many people chucking back a glass of human breast milk or horse milk.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    No such thing as an artificially inflated population. Either they're alive or they're not. They're species who have succeeded by allying with us, in the same way that lychen and trees benefit from one another.
    But that quantity of species is only alive due to human interruption. Those cows haven't seeked us out to survive. We artificially inseminate them to increase their breeding levels to a mass scale way above what is 'natural' for their species.

It's like when the buffalo were nearly made extinct back in the late 19th century. The settlers went through some much buffalo, but they didn't have the knowhow back then to artificially increase the bufallo population, which nearly wiped them out. Went from 30 million bufallo down to 100.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you're a different species, Quince.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A handsome one.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are stupid to reject food technologies that have vast environmental and ethical benefits on the basis that "it's not natural ohmagawd." Each and every person who believes cultured meat is some abomination is an idiot.

Pepe, were the meat industry as it stands to be outmoded by cultured meat, then a majority of the existing animals would likely be slaughtered for no longer being necessary as opposed to merely being slaughtered for their byproducts. Sunk cost. They'll die either way, but only one way perpetuates it.

But future animals can have a happy life on a much smaller scale because they'll only be necessary for providing cell samples.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are stupid to reject food technologies that have vast environmental and ethical benefits on the basis that "it's not natural ohmagawd." Each and every person who believes cultured meat is some abomination is an idiot.

Pepe, were the meat industry as it stands to be outmoded by cultured meat, then a majority of the existing animals would likely be slaughtered for no longer being necessary as opposed to merely being slaughtered for their byproducts. Sunk cost. They'll die either way, but only one way perpetuates it.

But future animals can have a happy life on a much smaller scale because they'll only be necessary for providing cell samples.
    You'll deny millions of animals any life at all because you don't agree with the one they have? Play God much?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is perfect for feeding the MELTDOWN fred. Oi Merse cows are shit and should be eaten.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You'll deny millions of animals any life at all because you don't agree with the one they have? Play God much?
    We play God anyway though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    You said 'Animal ethics ' and then compared dog ownership to factory farming of cows and chickens and whatever. Clearly you don't understand animal rights concerns or give a shit about them.

"Asking for cows to be treated nicely is all well and good from your Silicon Valley loft". Lit. You could make the same argument for allowing factories to pollute at will. We haven't thought about the human side of it!
    In this country at least I can guarantee you that there are more mistreated ogs than there are mistreated cows.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    But that quantity of species is only alive due to human interruption. Those cows haven't seeked us out to survive. We artificially inseminate them to increase their breeding levels to a mass scale way above what is 'natural' for their species.

It's like when the buffalo were nearly made extinct back in the late 19th century. The settlers went through some much buffalo, but they didn't have the knowhow back then to artificially increase the bufallo population, which nearly wiped them out. Went from 30 million bufallo down to 100.
    The settlers went through them to try and kill of the Indians, they wanted to effectively commit buffalo genocide as the animal was everything (food, tools, clothes etc.) to them. Kill the buffalo, kill the Indians.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly you don't understand animal rights concerns or give a shit about them.
    I do both understand them and give a shit about them. I just don't think that not eating meat for 'animal welfare' purposes is a particularly strong argument.

You could make the same argument for allowing factories to pollute at will. We haven't thought about the human side of it!
    Except that we have thought about it. A lot. I think about it all the time. I have even written articles on it and plan to teach a course on it.

I agree with that, if cultured meat ever becomes a thing, mass extinction of farm cows will ensue. I'm ok with it. I wonder if the animals rights crew will be.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine it'd be more of a gradual thing where it's either phased out and the cows are just prevented from breeding, rather than the farmer waking up one day and being like 'alright cows you're not needed no more so get in the furnace lol'

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post

I agree with that, if cultured meat ever becomes a thing, mass extinction of farm cows will ensue. I'm ok with it. I wonder if the animals rights crew will be.
    I'd say the headcases have some grand idea that they'll live among us and roam free.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question is: Why do we eat so much chicken when duck is way better?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they're easier to rear and have higher yields per animal.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you get a secondary product from them.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah because ducks don't lay eggs.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you don't, egg and meat birds are seperate. Egg layers tend to go into animal foods once they 'retire'.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duck feathers/down though.

1-0 ducks?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, mainly geese.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duck eggs are class.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question is: Why do we eat so much chicken when duck is way better?
    Love a bit of crispy peking duck in a pancake roll.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire debate over unconscious biological imperatives (sorry, desires) vs conditions animal groups adopt in the absence of humans is anthropomorphic. The two are intertwined and humans are the only group implying the former from the latter. Animals are just acting on the immediacy of the latter. Unless I’ve missed the Revolutionary Fowl Biological Imperatives Council where they register volunteers for poussin duty and hold struggle sessions for those birds hanging on past six years old. It is all an x/y axis of human opinion.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some nice words mate.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Clarksonism.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bots normally post about logging into Gmail.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure his name is Parkinson.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yeah. We're already playing God by making these animals breed on a mass scale so that we can harvest their byproducts.

My major concern with raising livestock is that it is a resource-intensive process. Factory farming/intensive animal farming may be more efficient than traditional ranching, but their animal welfare regime is far worse. Chickens may be stupid, but they still experience their version of emotions like "joy", "fear", and "stress". I would rather see factory farming become cultured meat production. There's no point for millions of animals to be born, ingest resources that could be better used, and be slaughtered when there's a more resource-efficient, cruelty-free process available. As Pepe mentions, the big problem is scaling the technology over the coming years.

Were cultured meat to be the norm, then the vast majority of meat would come from these facilities. Traditional ranching would become a boutique industry, and I am okay with this because it is likely that these animals will have high standards of living.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind vegetarian stuff. I aim to eat less meat. Had a clotted cream pasta dish with mushrooms and parsley tonight. It was good, but was crying out for some panchetta.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clotted cream in a pasta sauce?

Was it not heavy as fuck?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not really. Had 100g of Parmesan, bit of the pasta water, mushrooms, cornflour and butter.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the part I never understood. What is the need to quit meat, but then insist on eating something meat-like? Vegetarian food can be delicious. I eat meat for like two meals per week at most, and I don't feel it is any sort of sacrifice. If I wanted to eat even less meat I could easily do so. Even then, if one day I just craved meat, then I would just go ahead and eat a piece of fucking meat. Not everything has to be all or nothing.
    I don’t insist on it. Most of what I eat accentuates the veg. A small amount imitates meat to lesser or greater extent. But there’s a reason why. The food stuffs in the mock meat market are full of protein for a start, and as for those such as the Beyond Meat burger I mentioned, well, meat is fucking tasty and if you get close to it with plants then why wouldn’t you eat it? It’s not some kind of culinary role playing exercise, it’s just about taking a good formula for taste and texture and applying it with a different raw material.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, why suggest a view that if you did any research into it, you would see is not apparent?

It’s well accepted amongst vegans that agricultural livestock will almost vanish. Save for a few grazing herds across moorland. Of course no one is up for mass starvation but no one is suggesting that - no one is yet even proposing managing the population into a decline yet, because it’s still too unrealistic an aim across the western world. There’s plenty of suggestion on the ‘how’ though, and that will become a proposal when a realistic view of the ‘when’ becomes clear.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it ever becomes clear.

As usual, I know that there are sensible people out there. Those won't be the ones shouting the loudest. Not that we'll get to see any of it, which is a shame.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    One thing I don't quite get. If everyone turned vegan, the farmers would need the land for veggies etc. If we released a shit ton of stupid fucking cows that eat the veggies. Surely the farmers are going to have to kill them right?

I tell you what, I proper hate cows. Got "attacked" by one once. Always smile when I eat a steak.

As I said previously, I don't really care if someone wants to go vegan. The thing is, you already know the people who are going to go vegan, because they get involved with whatever the "in" thing is at the time. Everything they say thereafter I struggle to find remotely interesting as you know it's just a bull shit story to fit the narrative.
    If everyone were to go vegan, then the animals either live out their lives or people commit mass euthanasia.* That's unlikely as meat consumption is rising around the world as it becomes available to emerging middle classes in countries like China and India.

If the world were to shift towards plant proteins and cultured meat, then cows and livestock would be phased out over time. Producers, large and small, would scale down "production" of live animals (e.g. increased sterilization, fewer opportunities to breed) in relation to their capacities to produce plant proteins and cultured meat.

* euthanasia is the practice of killing to relieve suffering--voluntary euthanasia takes the form of suicide or assisted death

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure it would be quite that simple, whoever perfects cultured meat it's unlikely to be cattle farmers. They'd go on for a good while selling into other markets and being propped up by subsidies (because farming) before declining or carving out different sectors of the market for themselves.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably get things going more organic/artisanal than now, where people would pay a premium for "real" meat.

I went to a place in Amsterdam the other day that offered "bugs" (I think it was something like crickets and larvae) as an optional bagel topping

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    You'd probably get things going more organic/artisanal than now, where people would pay a premium for "real" meat.

I went to a place in Amsterdam the other day that offered "bugs" (I think it was something like crickets and larvae) as an optional bagel topping
    Absolutely this.

The more resource-intensive something is, the higher the price should be.