User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: London - Another Attack

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There's presumably been some hint of a threat at Silverburn, the shopping centre right by my house, today. They've announced they'll be conducting 'random customer bag searches' starting this morning.
    They'll be there a while if they're doing "random" searches in that neck of the woods.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Saudi Arabian team supposedly refused to take part in a minute's silence for the victims of the London attack before their game against Australia. Get the SAS in there and wipe the fuckers out.
    Could. Not. Give. A. Shit.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cressida Dick, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police
    It's desperately sad and poignant but among those who died is someone who's British, there are French, Australian, Canadian, Spanish. In terms of our witnesses that we've spoken to so far, out of the 300-odd people, there are about 20 different countries of origin. And the London British population comes from all kinds of backgrounds and every kind of faith and ethnicity. We believe of course that that's what makes our city so great. It's a place where the vast majority of time it's incredibly integrated and that diversity gives us strength.
    Oh brilliant love.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one went off in Durham, you'd get the same mix. That's tourism, Officer.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another whacko with a knife has just been arrested outside Parliament.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I see another moron was at it again this morning, but in better news, he got away alive. Which is interesting for when we catch the fucker.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The so-called Islamic State are so-called claiming it. Lads...

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really am not interested unless it's at least 15 dead.

Not being a cunt, just the truth.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds a bit like your social life at the minute.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I knew 15 people.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only potential interest to me is if it's another autist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what odds you can get on him actually being closer to thirty than twenty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, given they'll all have burnt any identification documents they have.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no actual way to get rid of this filthy cancer, is there?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting for them to get bored of it is the best way.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It'll pass eventually. Then some other cunts will kick off. My money is on a Feminist-gender neutral coalition.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell Spikey, last thing we need is Mokbull getting even more uppity.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Look out, he's got a knife!"
    "THAT'S NOT MY PREFERRED PRONOUN!"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb af, he (they) sounds like a complete loser though. Only a suicidal person would walk towards cops brandishing a knife saying SHOOT ME although yeah, why not use a taser...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a grown man can't take down a 21 year old female without a gun, he should quit the police force.

Why's this in here?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    We have the same discussion on here every time, amid cries of "do something" and dark hints that we have to restrict civil liberties.

Salafi ideology does not arise ex nihilo, and our current priorities are not even aimed at getting rid of it. It is being spread overwhelmingly by Saudi Arabia. Until the west stops enabling it by being best buddies with them, as a society we have no right to complain.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    If a grown man can't take down a 21 year old female without a gun, he should quit the police force.

Why's this in here?
    Man? It's the US. There were probably fifty cops, twenty firefighters, three priests and the swat team on standby.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the pros and cons or our relationship with Saudi Arabia, I think we are still entitled to a little moan when some cunt blows a bunch of people up. Although I suspect you can't really win on that argument. If the West isolated Saudi Arabia as it has North Korea any acts of terrorism inspired by their shite would no doubt be pinned on us doing that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "They have been the driving force behind Pride Alliance for the past two years," the group said, using Schultz's preferred pronoun.
    Lolled.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Whatever the pros and cons or our relationship with Saudi Arabia, I think we are still entitled to a little moan when some cunt blows a bunch of people up.
    For sure.

Although I suspect you can't really win on that argument. If the West isolated Saudi Arabia as it has North Korea any acts of terrorism inspired by their shite would no doubt be pinned on us doing that.
    That's a good point. There is a big gulf between being best buds and going all N. Korea on them, no? Could not sell them weapons and share intelligence with them, for example.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as we alienated them in any way, the Henrys of this world (not necessarily Henry himself) would become their best mates, as they have with Iran, Russia, Venezuela and so on.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people who talk about sorting Saudi Arabian influence out seem to see it as a case of stopping them funding mosques and what have you, and, since you couldn't just put a specific ban in place on Saudi Arabia funding mosques (you could, but it would be RACIST like the MUSLIM BAN), doing that would presumably need some sort of comprehensive sanctions regime to be put in place to stop the state and individuals shuffling money around.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted this before. Time for another outing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-you...b_6501916.html

In particular.

The most fundamental way to make the message clear to the House of Saud would be to threaten to stop buying oil from them. Given the relatively cheap oil prices these days it need not be an empty threat.
    Now, we can argue about the pro's and con's of doing this or that, and whether going down the North Korea route is palatable.
    But throwing your hands up in the style of Yevrah complaining about there being no way to confront this shit is dishonest. If we must "do something", then it requires "doing something" about Saudi Arabia. There is no fucking mystery here.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huff Post.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Saudi Arabia the country with the folks who have mansions just to house their 37 Bugatti Veyron's and the citizens get a check from the government because there's so much oil surplus or some shit?

I doubt they'd be bothered?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Isn't Saudi Arabia the country with the folks who have mansions just to house their 37 Bugatti Veyron's and the citizens get a check from the government because there's so much oil surplus or some shit?

I doubt they'd be bothered?
    They're in fairly dire straits as far as their long-term finances go, actually. As you say, they basically write a cheque to their citizentry to buy them off. They're already having to cut that back, and shit may hit the fan if they are forced to do so any further.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saudi's are in a big drive to privatise all the national industries - we have the Aramco listing soon for example https://www.theguardian.com/business...tion-in-london

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people who talk about sorting Saudi Arabian influence out seem to see it as a case of stopping them funding mosques and what have you, and, since you couldn't just put a specific ban in place on Saudi Arabia funding mosques (you could, but it would be RACIST like the MUSLIM BAN), doing that would presumably need some sort of comprehensive sanctions regime to be put in place to stop the state and individuals shuffling money around.
    Seems to me that trying to stop terrorism in The West by establishing a different set of policies in the Middle East is probably not very smart, since Western intervention is probably what caused the issue in the first place. I would think that the best way to go would be to try stopping so hard to 'solve the issues,' considering how fucking shit we are at it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    As soon as we alienated them in any way, the Henrys of this world (not necessarily Henry himself) would become their best mates, as they have with Iran, Russia, Venezuela and so on.
    This is regrettably true. There's a lack of intellectual rigour in some of these circles that extends no further than believing that American policy is imperialist and therefore the opposite policy must be pursued.

In the event we ostracised the Saudis, they'd simply look for alternative allies, and we'd be no further along. If anything we'd be in more difficulty owing to a loss of regional intelligence. The line of attack would thus become that we've pushed them into the "arms of the enemy" and it's our own fault.

On a separate issue, it may help if we didn't wave potential terrorists into the country to appease a temporary political difficulty.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So once you have collapsed the Saudi Arabian economy (assuming China and India play along), then what? I reckon an even worse band of Islamic mentalists would take over.

I find a lot of this Saudi Arabian stuff to be a bit like that post-war myth the Germans created for themselves about four blokes using their dazzling leather coats to somehow dupe them all into becoming maniacs. If only the House of Saud wasn't in charge, the non-country full of illiterate, stone age camel fuckers could finally shed their adherence to superstition and backwards cultural norms and become thriving beacons of civilisation like the Sultanate of Aceh or Mahdist Sudan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certainly some fine Middle Eastern examples of what happens when a previously stable, albeit unpalatable, government collapses and is replaced by a vacuum of competing interests.

It's a country where women can't drive and they still make a public spectacle of executing people. The current King (and Crown Prince) are acting as blocks and mitigating the nutjob element, if anything. Undermining them domestically would only make it much, much worse if they actually collapsed. It would be Syria in overdrive.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So once you have collapsed the Saudi Arabian economy (assuming China and India play along), then what? I reckon an even worse band of Islamic mentalists would take over.

I find a lot of this Saudi Arabian stuff to be a bit like that post-war myth the Germans created for themselves about four blokes using their dazzling leather coats to somehow dupe them all into becoming maniacs. If only the House of Saud wasn't in charge, the non-country full of illiterate, stone age camel fuckers could finally shed their adherence to superstition and backwards cultural norms and become thriving beacons of civilisation like the Sultanate of Aceh or Mahdist Sudan.
    Who said anything of the sort? This is a difficult situation which has taken a long time to get like this. Any effort to mitigate it will also take a long time, so stop trying to misrepresent hard solutions as a quick fix.

As for the "worse band of Islamic mentalists", who are they exactly? The opposition in Saudi Arabia, such that it is, consists of people like the Muslim Brotherhood, a marginal Shia minority and Al Qaeda type lunatics. They're all heavily repressed. Any change of leadership is going to come from within the current regime to one extent or another - if it comes to that, as I'm willing to bet that they care more about maintaining their rule than being able to fund extremism abroad.

These are of course the standard lines from those who don't actually care enough about terrorist attacks to want to do anything serious to stop them. It's why you hear fuck all about this in the media and the repeated terrorist incidents are portrayed as originating solely from losers with an internet connection. Quick - censor Google! That will stop them!

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These 'hard solutions' are rubbish though. Let's say they go along with the oil threat, go all out to preserve their rule, and the foreign extremism funding dries up (and as a bonus we avert the worst Islamic mental vs Islamic mental civil war imaginable, because Egypt, Turkey, and Qatar graciously sit this one out). Great. But how long until Indonesia forgets what has been imported? What do you do to stop Pakistan being completely shit? Will Bangladesh join the 21st century whilst we are still living in it? Unless you want to try coercing them as well; but how do you really do that other than bolstering lots of ruthlessly secular government who would more than likely have to do away with thousands upon thousands of beardy troublemakers? It's all rather reminiscent of when you used to advocate tax policies predicated upon the entire developed world adopting them.

There is a large part of the world dominated by a shit, pre-modern culture. That Pakistan in 2017 has electricity and readily available shoes doesn't alter the fact that it is for all intents and purposes a medieval society. We can't realistically destroy it, so we can only do what we can to stop it (or any more of it) coming over here. That is the only long-term solution beyond whatever policing measures can be taken without completely eradicating muh freedoms.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    But how long until Indonesia forgets what has been imported? What do you do to stop Pakistan being completely shit? Will Bangladesh join the 21st century whilst we are still living in it?
    I suggest that it would probably get significantly better (in terms of fanatic Salafists) gradually over many years. It's a start. You can't unwind this shit overnight. That's not a reason to continue with the much more "rubbish" strategy of enabling it and simultaneously pretending that there's nothing to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    It's all rather reminiscent of when you used to advocate tax policies predicated upon the entire developed world adopting them.
    That's actually Thomas Piketty, and it is recognised that such a policy (a global wealth tax) is currently not feasible, however great an idea it is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember watching a documentary on the targeting of prisoners in particular. It's a genius and terrifying idea. Take a violent criminal, convince them god wants them to kill everyone and you're golden.

How the government let the prison system become flooded with extremist text is beyond me.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when they stuck all the nutters in Iraq together in a prison and let them formulate plans?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might go in to prison and try and indoctrinate people with compassion and love.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "But didn't you murder your wife mate?"

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't just walk in to prison, mate.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    We have the same discussion on here every time, amid cries of "do something" and dark hints that we have to restrict civil liberties.

Salafi ideology does not arise ex nihilo, and our current priorities are not even aimed at getting rid of it. It is being spread overwhelmingly by Saudi Arabia. Until the west stops enabling it by being best buddies with them, as a society we have no right to complain.
    You need to disabuse yourself of the notion that if the west were to kick Saudi Arabia out this all goes away. Not everything that happens is always entirely our fault.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madman with a gun running around Oxford Circus. Unsure as to whether it's a Salami or not.

EDIT: Explosions heard now apparently. 'rist confirmed.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully turns out to be nothing.