User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So things seem a bit mad in Manchester

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    It doesn't need to be 'put into context', I'm sure the people posting in here are smart enough not to have to weigh it up against something which has no relation to a terrorist attack. You're a fucking cretin, Henry.
    It does, in fact, need to be put into context when people are talking about it being a threat to our way of life and so forth. It only becomes that if we decide to react by changing our way of life.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Civil war, then?

See, this is what people should be ridiculing rather than attempts to put the scale of the problem in a bit of context.
    I'm not talking about next Tuesday ffs, I mean at a time when I'll probably be long dead.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bombing the living fuck out of the homes of people in the middle east in the claim of fighting terror would help somewhat, no fucking wonder people sign up when everything you know is being turned into rubble.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just continue with the hand-wringing and public emoting instead.
    Where am I doing those things? There's middle ground between shouting that the world is ending and trivialising this stuff to the point where you're putting it on par with road traffic accidents. I don't think Yev is quite doing the former, but you're sure as shit doing the latter and thoroughly embarrassing yourself.

It doesn't matter how many people are killed, there's no comparison to be made. People 'accept the small' risk of having cars around because they provide a material benefit to most people's lives, and when someone is hurt or killed with the involvement of one there's generally no malice involved, someone just fucked up, or a light failed, or the weather got in the way. There's no reason to 'accept the small risk' of fucking terrorism, and trying to draw an equivalence with traffic accidents - which you have done, intentionally or not, by talking about the media responses being largely to blame for why the two are treated so differently - is pathetic.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the last person to use Nazi comparisons, but 'letting the ideas run their course' was basically what Super Stan Baldwin and Ramsay Macdonald were up to in the 1930s.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does, in fact, need to be put into context when people are talking about it being a threat to our way of life and so forth. It only becomes that if we decide to react by changing our way of life.
    That I agree with.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'm not talking about next Tuesday ffs, I mean at a time when I'll probably be long dead.
    Projecting something that (again as per the graph) has become a serious problem for a few years at best forward a century is equally wrongheaded.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely the difference I've been attempting to highlight, in fact.
    Not really. You said if road deaths got the same kind of coverage terrorist attacks do then the public would be equally as outraged and be calling for cars to be taken off the road. I'm telling you that that is bollocks.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bombing the living fuck out of the homes of people in the middle east in the claim of fighting terror would help somewhat, no fucking wonder people sign up when everything you know is being turned into rubble.
    This, every drone attack kills 9 civilians for every 1 target killed. If the US bombed my families car on their way to a wedding because they thought that maybe someone who may do something dangerous against them at some point in the future might be there? I'd be volunteering to go fuck them up all day.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Where am I doing those things? There's middle ground between shouting that the world is ending and trivialising this stuff to the point where you're putting it on par with road traffic accidents. I don't think Yev is quite doing the former, but you're sure as shit doing the latter and thoroughly embarrassing yourself.

It doesn't matter how many people are killed, there's no comparison to be made. People 'accept the small' risk of having cars around because they provide a material benefit to most people's lives, and when someone is hurt or killed with the involvement of one there's generally no malice involved, someone just fucked up, or a light failed, or the weather got in the way. There's no reason to 'accept the small risk' of fucking terrorism, and trying to draw an equivalence with traffic accidents - which you have done, intentionally or not, by talking about the media responses being largely to blame for why the two are treated so differently - is pathetic.
    You are trivializing road deaths, to be fair. I for one don't think we should just shrug off the 'small risk.' It is a separate discussion though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would probably help, although as I said before, it is something we should do whether it helps with terrorism or not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again with the misrepresentation. If you actually read what I wrote rather than reacting with apoplexy to what you think I did, we'd save ourselves a lot of time.
    Get it clear - the risk should not be accepted and something should be done. Nevertheless, the likelihood of being killed by a terrorist is smaller than that of being killed by a car, and we should measure our actions appropriately with that in mind. i.e. we don't paralyse the country with police actions, or start interning brown people.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Not surprised moar war is your solution. I do agree on letting the ideas run their course.
    I'm generally against overseas intervention, but it can still be a practical option (we could sub-contract most of it out anyway) as a precursor to a more sustainable diplomatic/economic re-alignment.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my step-bros best mates has been named as dead now, John Atkinson from Radcliffe, seen the Facebook post.

Fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are trivializing road deaths, to be fair. I for one don't think we should just shrug off the 'small risk.' It is a separate discussion though.
    Risk:benefit is massive, though. In the world of pharmaceuticals you may have to accept a certain number of side effects to experience the therapeutic effect you are seeking. Any drug you put into your body could potentially be harmful and yet millions of people shrug off that risk every day, and rightfully so, because the benefits will largely outweigh the risks.

How in the fuck have we got to this point? TTH

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again with the misrepresentation. If you actually read what I wrote rather than reacting with apoplexy to what you think I did, we'd save ourselves a lot of time.
    Get it clear - the risk should not be accepted and something should be done. Nevertheless, the likelihood of being killed by a terrorist is smaller than that of being killed by a car, and we should measure our actions appropriately with that in mind. i.e. we don't paralyse the country with police actions, or start interning brown people.
    The underlying point you were making seemed pretty obvious, to be honest.

Edit: As in, I don't really know how it got misconstrued to such a ridiculous extent.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these arrests happening 5 minutes from my parents house. Grim.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    All these arrests happening 5 minutes from my parents house. Grim.
    Do you think they're complicit?

Also, this thread turned to shit when GS, Jimmy and Yev turned up. Stop with the essays about boring shit. Stick with quick and punchy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go jump in a river.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Do you think they're complicit?

Also, this thread turned to shit when GS, Jimmy and Yev turned up. Stop with the essays about boring shit. Stick with quick and punchy.
    Don't you have a successful life to be tending to?

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the levels of condescension went through the roof at one point. Lollard.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm far from apoplectic, I'm delighted that you've gone off on this mad, stupid tangent. It's very funny.

If that's the whole point you were trying to make then you should choose your words more carefully in future, because it's not the one you've made over the course of the thread. Even your original post on the subject was saying that terrorist attacks are no different to car crashes in that there needn't be an endgame.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm far from apoplectic, I'm delighted that you've gone off on this mad, stupid tangent. It's very funny.

If that's the whole point you were trying to make then you should choose your words more carefully in future, because it's not the one you've made over the course of the thread. Even your original post on the subject was saying that terrorist attacks are no different to car crashes in that there needn't be an endgame.
    I haven't really said anything else other than that in what I've posted. So until you tell me what specific statement I've made that is wrong, I can't really argue.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I can't converse with you Phonics, your posting style and random accusations make it impossible to do so.
    I don't tend to bother much with these threads - there's usually too many virgins who think they know how to run a country posting - but what a takedown this is from Yev.

Fair play to phonics for carrying on and still not making any sense, I'd have left the board.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I'm generally against overseas intervention, but it can still be a practical option (we could sub-contract most of it out anyway) as a precursor to a more sustainable diplomatic/economic re-alignment.
    Got more details on the re-alignment?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mostly chumming up with Iran.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to have to hope the extremists bomb themselves out. We can't attack them because, unless they're involved in something like Syria, they're far too nebulous and spread out. Doing the boring "Community leaders" route is probably your best bet, although dumb teens will always rebel against authority.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mostly chumming up with Iran.
    But Donald told me Iran was bad to the bones.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically in a nutshell...

Blame Pleb.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't embrace the meme.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we unban Harold for the day? For a good ol' Hazza vs Henners show down?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    He's been addressing people on Teh Refuge. The only person that responded was Henry.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Donald told me Iran was bad to the bones.
    The Israelis are scared of Hezbollah (and also the NARRATIVE is shifting from blaming Syria on Russia), but they're big enough to look after themselves, so fuck them.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I'd rather unban drink driving.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'd be class, actually. One day of it. National "Made it Home" Day.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather unban drink driving.
    What a cunt you are. Could have made a joke about terrorism but had to put the real killer and threat to our national identity in there. Bastard.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Magic. You got at least half the joke.

Some walloper has pitched up at the Birmingham vigil with a baseball bat and an axe and forced them to clear the place out. I reckon there's something else to come.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Magic. You got at least half the joke.

Some walloper has pitched up at the Birmingham vigil with a baseball bat and an axe and forced them to clear the place out. I reckon there's something else to come.
    This is good for me.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    [img]'Daws'.jpg[/img]
    Never.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terror threat level has been raised to critical, indicating a further attack is "imminent" rather than just "likely". The army will be on the streets to free up more police for patrol.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well do a France and set an indefinite 'state of emergency.' Because laws be damned.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear in my years working in the passport building, we never changed out of amber alert.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    He's been addressing people on Teh Refuge. The only person that responded was Henry.
    What? No I didn't.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiffy had a right seethe as well until he deleted it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? No I didn't.
    You definitely turned up recently and said some stuff.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiffy had a right seethe as well until he deleted it.
    I thought Smiffy had given Harold his TR account as well, but it seems he's just gone a bit more mental.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely turned up recently and said some stuff.
    I called him a loser or something a couple of weeks ago. I'm not stopping by today to debate with him, which is what you sounded like you were saying.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Smiffy had given Harold his TR account as well, but it seems he's just gone a bit more mental.
    That's definitely Harold talking to himself. The style of the other account isnt Smiffy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Smiffy banned from here again?