User Tag List

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running and General Exercise Thread

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started doing this training called ASICS pace academy challenge. It's shorter runs, with the aim of getting my 5k down (my target is 20 minutes). I've done a couple of 'surges' training, and I've just done my first 'Short Fartlek', which was 7.6k in 35 minutes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a link?

Parkrun this morning was a breezy 23:46. My legs are battered from an intense pre season training on Thursday.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's from the Runkeeper app that I use. Google 'ASICS pace academy challenge' and you can find the details, but you might need the app (and maybe subscribe as well) to do it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a Regents Park 10k this morning. Lovely day and the course is great - two loops of the park. I think I got around 46:40 so not too unhappy with that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New 10k PB this morning, 43 minutes dead.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.

I just did a 5k in 21:56.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys all road run? I think I'm going to have to, partly at least, once I move, but whenever I've done it it feels a bit harsh on the joints so I might buy a bike instead.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the canal for me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer parks to roads, but I mainly run at the gym.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run on the canals home from work and in parks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, always the road for me. It is a bit harsh on the joints I suppose. I've started doing some exercises to help strengthen the legs recently though (nothing major, just some bodyweight stuff and stretches) and the difference it's made after just a couple of weeks is crazy. Particularly in the knees, which just feel a whole lot stronger during running and aren't anywhere near as stiff or painful afterwards.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a local parkrun last week and finished with 20.20 - I'd like to take that under 20 minutes.

This weekend I'm doing the Great North Run and then Belfast Half next.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's me there all the way at the bottom. Glad the season is over. Next year I will don it I am sure.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a bicycle??!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an arm and a helmet.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    St. Louis or Pompeii?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a half marathon in four weeks. Need to get back running miles again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to 10k in 45mins this morning. Much better when it's pissing down and chilly.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    45 minutes is really good.

I went out to do 10k the other night and ended up staying out for another couple of miles because the temperature had dropped and there was a bit of drizzle about. Honestly, it was lovely. Ideal conditions. Bring on the winter.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished the Great North Run in 1 hour 36 minutes. Great experience although trying to weave through crowds of people and getting boxed in was a bit frustrating and made it difficult to get into a rhythm.
    I suppose I should have started with a faster pace group than I did.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I finished the Great North Run in 1 hour 36 minutes. Great experience although trying to weave through crowds of people and getting boxed in was a bit frustrating and made it difficult to get into a rhythm.
    I imagine that is very frustrating, but even so, that time sounds fast as hell to me, well done!

What is that, like seven minute something miles? That's ace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great time Henry, well done.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Good stuff. Is it your first?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good time Henry. Think I'd be looking at 1 hour 40 without more training.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Henry. Be delighted if I can get that in mine in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my first but it is a PB. I must have run about 20 half marathons by now. I'll be faster in Belfast Half next week.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to work on upping the distance recently, but gradually so that my knees don't disintegrate or anything. 60 miles is the target for this month, so I've decided to make the return to going every other day. The current routine is alternating between "shorter" runs (5k or more) and "longer" runs (10k or more) with a days rest in-between, which appears to be working quite well so far. 30 miles done as of today, so I'm a bit ahead of schedule.

It's mostly nice to just have an actual routine back in place. I stopped going every other day a few months ago after my knees really started disagreeing with it and, even though I was still going fairly often, it felt like it lacked any kind of structure. I've taken steps to (hopefully) remedy the knee situation though and I'm feeling a lot stronger now, so I think this could be good.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road running is actually very fun at night.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my half PB down to 1.34.19 in Belfast today.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the shoreditch 10k today. Very cool street race. Smashed my pb by 2 minutes 38 seconds with a time of 42:52. Buzzing with that really.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last three weeks mileage have been 80k, 90k & 90k. I intended to get to 100k in the final week but was exhausted and the quality was suffering so I ended up taking an unintended rest day. Now three weeks of a taper before Dublin Marathon.

Very relieved to have that training block done. 60k this week will feel like nothing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff you two. I was psyching myself up for a good time in the Abbey Dash in a few weeks, but now it looks like I might have plantar fasciitis. Fuck knows when I'll be running again.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been much good at running. Always got pain in my lower back and knees from it, and once when trying to do it a lot during one summer I got a stress fracture in my foot after a few months. I always was quite slow and struggled to run anything longer than about 4-5 km as well.

Having lost quite a bit of weight over the past year though, I tried it again and it's completely different now. I run a lot faster and get a lot less pain from it. I can also quite easily do 6-7 km without much problem. So have actually started thinking about doing some sort of 10k race (I wouldn't want to do more than that).

At the end of the day I probably won't, because I still think running is a bit boring, but at least it's an option these days for doing training other than more complicated stuff like the Gym, playing Football, etc.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone to the gym a few times in past few days, hopefully will keep at it. Impressively unfit at the moment, probably due to alcohol but still a bit worse than I expected. Did 5 mins on the bike followed by 1km row on Friday which nearly killed me; did that twice today and felt a bit less dead afterwards. Hopefully will soon be able to do 3 sets and then gradually start increasing the time/distance of both.

Rowing is the best though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got back on it yesterday and restarted my running after nearly a month of nothingness. I was quite impressed with myself that I managed 5 miles although I do need to map out a route of sorts as much of it was on the road with cars whizzing by me at 50+. The time was nothing to be proud of, averaged 12 minutes a mile whereas when I was at home I was managing around 9-10 but it could be argued I was going too fast.

Plan now is Monday - Wednesday - Friday - Sunday to do at least 3-5 miles but use Monday for the big run as I tend to be off both then and on Tuesdays. I don't know if this is right but it allows some recovery although Sunday might have to be scrapped if I struggle for the Monday's, maybe a different sort of exercise in between.

I must remember to warm up and warm down properly though as I'm in bits today. On Friday I'm off to Tesco to do a big shop so I can start making better foods but doing so in bulk but it's a bit of a shitter given gluten free products are expensive. It's perhaps the one thing that's slipped more than anything is my diet but I'm determined to get back on it as I notice the difference in myself.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AyDee View Post
    Gone to the gym a few times in past few days, hopefully will keep at it. Impressively unfit at the moment, probably due to alcohol but still a bit worse than I expected. Did 5 mins on the bike followed by 1km row on Friday which nearly killed me; did that twice today and felt a bit less dead afterwards. Hopefully will soon be able to do 3 sets and then gradually start increasing the time/distance of both.

Rowing is the best though.
    Made some good progress in the past fortnight. Now able to do the 3 sets that I wanted (w/ 6 minutes on the bike) and have seen a noticeable improvement in my fitness: went gym on Friday, had a relaxed 11 mile bike ride on Saturday and then a 5 mile run on Sunday which was just shy of 40 minutes. Few more weeks of this and I'll be happy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished Dublin Marathon in 3 hours, 23 minutes yesterday. I'm pleased and looking forward to a break.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a ridiculous time, congrats.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Leeds Abbey Dash 10k this morning in 42:40.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice time. I think I'm going to fit one more ten k in this year just before Christmas. Having something to aim for running wise definitely helps motivationally.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really good Scouse.

I broke my 5k and 10k PB's in the same run yesterday.....they're now 25:19 and 53:08 respectively.

On a related note, I bought a running watch a couple of months ago (which is why I now know these things) and it's definitely my new favourite toy.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed a 25:00 5k a couple of weeks back but I think it's something I can only do when fully recovered. I imagine it'll take quite a while to get down to a 20:00 5k.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the other end of the scale I have stopped procrastinating and joined a gym. Tonight was my first actual visit after my induction over the weekend and I think my body is currently still deciding precisely how irate it's going to be with me in the morning.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran 20.03 in a 5k at the weekend, the only thing I've done since the marathon. It's a PB but I didn't realise how close I was to breaking 20 minutes until I'd finished so it pissed me off a bit.
    I need to do another one before I lose my fitness, or else get back training at least a bit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see people making good progress.

Running once a week in addition to gym during the week is still going decent. Gone from 4 miles in 33:17 on 15th October to 7 miles in 54:37 on 03/11, so almost double the distance and 7.69mph instead of 7.22mph. The problem now is that my dodgy Achilles is potentially going to restrict me upping the distance any more; it was pretty painful after my run on Sunday and is probably the worst it's felt after a run for a while. Going to try hard to stretch it every day this week then attempt an 8 mile run on Sunday and see how it goes. Probably be the case that this will be my last time upping the mileage until my Achilles heels (pun intended) itself one day.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran home last night to my new place which adds 2.5k onto my run. First one in a while 1h04 12.58k.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cracked half-marathon distance for the first time tonight!

Not in an actual organised race, I don't think you get those on a Monday night! Just on my own. I've still yet to participate in any sort of proper race actually, for some reason. Nice milestone to hit though. It took me 2 hours and 6 minutes, I've no idea whether that's any good for a first attempt or not, but I've felt like I've been capable of the actual distance for a while now, so it was nice to just knuckle down and do it.

It also took me past 100 miles run in November, which is what I was aiming for, so I'm happy now. I think a couple of days off are in order!

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doctor has told me to walk a bit so I'm buying a machine. Which would be best on the joints, a cross trainer or something?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go walk around the 'hood you grumpy twat.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Go walk around the 'hood you grumpy twat.
    Cold + other people, so no. Plus I'd be more likely to do it with some form of entertainment and I don't really like music, so if I had a treadmill/cross trainer/exercise bike then I could stick on Netflix or something.