User Tag List

Thread: Would it be ethical to GPS your child?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be ethical to GPS your child?

As the topic says. If you could, would you implant a chip in your child so you could track them. A 'Find My iPhone' for the children, so to speak?

And if you would, how would you use it? Would you just use it for emergencies or would you use it to find out if your teenager has been shagging naughty boys?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What like a dog?

Sounds like something for shit, paranoid parents.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they do that for dogs now? I thought that just tracked who the owner was.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, insofar as it is 'ethical' to dictate and monitor most other aspect of your children's lives.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can just buy them an iPhone. Or any phone that has a locator service.

Sprint has one for all of their phones for example. Really easy to use, kinda scary if you think about it too much. $5 a month and you can locate anyone on your family plan.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glympse.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to a certain age I think it's a good idea. 13 is probably the point where I'd cut it off, although I'd recommend a higher age limit for children in the Midlands.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thank God most of us were in that last generation before all of this GPS fancy phone bullshit really took off.

I remember in high school when a Motorola RAZR or one of those Sidekicks were the coolest thing you could possibly have. I remember being on AOL Instant Messenger in class on my friend's sidekick phone thinking WOW TECHNOLOGY IS CRAZY.

Nowadays how do kids even have any fun? Back in our day you could've just said "Oh I'm staying the night at Johnny's tonight" and then Johnny would "Stay the night at (yours)" and it's out and about for shenanigans all night long.

Almost feel bad for the little brats.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you and Johnny get up to all night?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally we'd all used to go to the liquor store by the high school that sold to us and go drink/smoke weed on the beach.

There'd be a large group of us. Good times. Surely you guys had similar experiences.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents were fine with me drinking from when I wanted to at 15 and bought me booze cause they trusted me. I was mostly well behaved back then. Plus, Jersey is a small island so we had a lot more freedom.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was probably among the last people not to have Facebook at school (at all). It started kicking off in the summer holidays (2006) after I finished. Someone mentioned it and I thought, what, a book with everyone's faces in it?

We used MSN in the sixth form.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember setting up my first Yahoo email account at first year of college (thinking I was don), back in 1998. Still use that very email address today

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would question the need for it.

If you've raised your child up properly, installed the right morals and discipline into them and not allowed them to galivant around town at the age of 13 then chances are they'll not be needing to be tracked. If you tracking your kids is a very real option then I would personally question your job as a parent. Failed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does gallivanting around town mean? Surely 13 year olds should be allowed into town?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then if they get kidnapped you'll be wondering why you didn't take a simply precautionary measure.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just murder them yourself, both problems solved.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see why this would even be needed. If you don't / can't trust your kid - ground them. If you're that worried about some paedo snatching them, then surely the kiddy snatcher could use the same GPS tracking to get them in the first place. Meh.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I remember setting up my first Yahoo email account at first year of college (thinking I was don), back in 1998. Still use that very email address today
    I got lolled at by my head of year in a meeting yesterday because apparently my first email address is still on their files as my personal one.

It was made when I was about 12 and unfortunately starts "andypandy".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    If you're that worried about some paedo snatching them, then surely the kiddy snatcher could use the same GPS tracking to get them in the first place. Meh.
    Like PokemonGo for kiddy fiddlers.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    What does gallivanting around town mean? Surely 13 year olds should be allowed into town?
    Unsupervised? No, they shouldn't. At 13 you're a minor. The amount of stories I've read over the years about XYZ happening when it could have been avoided if the parents did their duty properly is staggering.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents tracked me using Find My iPhone regularly in high school. Caught me smoking weed once that way, after that I just turned off location services.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    Unsupervised? No, they shouldn't. At 13 you're a minor. The amount of stories I've read over the years about XYZ happening when it could have been avoided if the parents did their duty properly is staggering.
    I was allowed to walk to and from school with my own set of keys from 10, and me and all my friends at (posh grammar) school were allowed to hang out in town after school and at weekends from year 7 (aged 11). I think me and my mates were allowed to go to the park unsupervised to play football from about 9! I thought that was pretty normal.

Being disallowed from walking around town on a Saturday morning with your mates at 13 sounds absolutely mental to me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lived in a small village so probably not typical but we were all out and about from 7 or 8 onwards.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not sure what Smiff's talking about. I walked to school from the day we moved off the main road in year 5 and the only plans were 'be back before tea'. We were quite a small community though. I'm not sure if it's age or my location now but everything feels more disparate these days.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking to school with everyone is fine and dandy since if you don't turn up there's usually a phone call waiting to see why. I was thinking more after school and on weekdays, going swimming or something at that age on a Saturday is fine so long as parents are aware of where you're at etc but I assumed it was more the sort who'd be found chavvin' it up on the local green til past dark.

Around here it's that sort. If I wasn't in at 6pm on a school night I would be in for it. Almost ties in with my on Facebook actually.

Ammirite?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and you should never be given a child licence.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a secret one on the wife's phone. She has no idea that I can track her.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He only does it because he's a cuck.

in the actual sense, not the Mert sense of the word.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Yeah, and you should never be given a child licence.
    As long as I live I wouldn't even think of applying anyway. Kids are shitty little creatures and I'd forget I had one.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't remember at what age I was allowed to go out and about on my own. Ten maybe? I do remember some weirdo asking me for directions to a shopping mall once (which was two blocks away) and after I told him where it was he asked me if I wouldn't mind getting in the car and showing him the way. I told him to fuck off, of course.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any sort of tracking is just a nod to everyone else that that person is a selfish shitty parent.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difficult and interesting one this, I don't have kids, but if I ever do and this becomes an option I'd probably be split down the middle in thinking I'd love it as a safety net (losing a child must be one of the worst things you can endure in life, let alone the experience they themselves would face), while absolutely hating the obvious wankery it involves.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you grow up knowing that someone is potentially watching you at all times then that'd probably fuck you up. It'd be like believing in God or something. Imagine that.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My belief in God and my Lord&Savior Jesus Christ has never steered me wrong, brother.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    If you grow up knowing that someone is potentially watching you at all times then that'd probably fuck you up. It'd be like believing in God or something. Imagine that.
    As if we aren't already potentially being watched at all times.