User Tag List

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 2996

Thread: The Football Manager 2017 Thread - Sponsored by Brexit.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in my Jman save I've ended up at Monaco. In the 5 years I am here, I've won the league 5 times, the cup 4 times, the league cup 3 times, the CL 3 times (getting to the final one more time) and the Europa League once. And despite all that I'm still not even an icon of the club. But more importantly, I've spent a net total of 15m on players across the five players, have managed to maintain a wage budget less than most big teams (for example PSG spent 50% more than us) and we're still losing something like 50m euros per season. How is that possible?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prize money and TV deals in France will be quite shit. Attendences to games will probably be the same. The top 2 there only have enough money due to their ownership.

It's almost the same in Spain. The top 2 there get a large majority of the TV money and the rest get a tiny percentage between them. I'm sure this is about to change in real life though.

You'll likely only be making money through sales and your success in Europe.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FM (Sega) have acquired rights for the Bundesliga: https://www.dfl.de/en/home/dfl-annou...-fixtures.html

No more Gelsenkirchen!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have we a video of Miles in a fetching t-shirt promoting FM18 yet?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None yet @Yevrah but you can have this picture. It comes complete with a whole load of smug.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, there's the sexy bastard.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only that goon would actually wear a grey jacket, navy shirt and black tie to the Palace.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Services to databases.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed that Ruzomberok, the Slovak team with which I won 2 league titles during my reign there, have gone on to win the next 20 as well. Guess that CL money were well invested.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my winger is at the far post and my striker at the penalty spot, cross comes in, striker gets it and scores. Goal gets ruled out as apparently the winger was offside, even though he didn't contribute to the goal whatsoever. Funny thing being he wasn't offside anyway. Yet I complain in my press conference and I get a touchline ban. It's silly that we get stuff like that in this age and day.

And in terms of grievances, it's about time SI pull their finger out and fix the issue with crosses and goalkeepers not coming out for them. I just scored a goal where the ball passed 1 foot above the opposition goalkeeper and he didn't stretch his hands to get it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hadn't played FM in a while and normally do a save like this on each game towards the end of its run.

I made a side, with no players (well three youth players, you'll know them well ) a big bag of money and owners willing to spend. They're in the Championship so you can't sign super megastars right away, but I feel that adds to the challenge.
    It's on the workshop too. It won't work, I don't think, if you have a third party data update.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1100082463

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FM18 will be out Friday, November 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by SI
    Fans who pre-purchase Football Manager 2018 before Monday, October 9th and have Football Manager 2017 in their Steam Library will receive a 'Contract Extension Bonus'
    discount of 25%.
    Full price on the FM site is £37.99.

No new features announced yet, they'll come in September.

I'll probably get it, partly to manage Brighton in the Premier League.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My board have just sold my best youth prospect (a 17yr old current first teamer), on transfer deadline day, without a sell on clause for $900k. Cunts.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When's 18 out?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    November 10th.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must've been an intense three minutes.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That legitimately looks like a parody video.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if it's on that video as it looks too much of a load of arse to watch, but cliques within the squad are a new thing this year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Don't know if it's on that video as it looks too much of a load of arse to watch, but cliques within the squad are a new thing this year.
    Ye that's apparently the main feature.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah more random morale management. Just what I wanted.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For real, i just wanna manage the club, or even the cool shit like building stadiums blah blah blah.

I can't be bothered with "Jesse Lingard is unhappy with Henrikh Mkhitaryan because his dabs aren't clean enough"

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just looking forward to the press conferences, I'm sure they'll overhaul the system this year. lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing where half your squad throws a strop because you won't sell the star player for 50p is the one I hate most.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Ye that's apparently the main feature.
    In other words it'll have far too much bearing on things and fuck up everything else.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edinson Cavani is unhappy that Neymar jr has been placed on Penalties.

Assertively "Here's €1m now get out of my office"

Aggressively "I can't believe how badly you've handled this. I'm going to make sure my team mates hear about this."

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not about time someone else had a go at making a football management game again to give them a bit of competition?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone else? They're the only ones who've ever actually done it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing where half your squad throws a strop because you won't sell the star player for 50p is the one I hate most.
    I asked one of my players if a pay rise would convince him to to stay the other day, he was fucking OUTRAGED that I bought money in to it. Then he explained that PSG would pay more than my Sunderland side did.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it me or does that "Headline Features" video not actually describe any features? New scouting! DYNAMICS!!... what does this involve???

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does the man at Creative Assembly not know about the game he's working on?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've really enjoyed this version, it's got me back into it. It's not perfect of course but it's the only game I play. It might be because it's the first time I've used the 2d pitch with extended highlights so I can actually see what's going on.

I'm still with Norwich. I did start updating my progress on here but it was a while back. I got promoted in my second season and have spent about seven years in the Premier League. We were mid table for a few seasons, then qualified for the Champions League and have been around Europe in either competition for the last few seasons. We also won the Europa League last season, have won the league cup twice I think, and got to a couple of FA Cup finals.

I've been mainly using a 4-3-1-2 formation. There's one called gamebreaker which is very good (It's not actually a gamebreaker, just a good solid tactic I think), and I tweaked that to suit my team. Then I came across another tactic which someone had also tweaked from the gamebreaker and was fairly similar to mine, only with some amazing results so I've started using pretty much that this season as it's perfect for my team.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Is it me or does that "Headline Features" video not actually describe any features? New scouting! DYNAMICS!!... what does this involve???
    This "dynamics" thing is the feature wullie mentioned about the player cliques as far as I underrstand.

Match engine still needs quite a bit of work. It's ridiculous how dominant crosses have been for quite some time now. Goalkeepers in particular need a lot of fixing.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not very up to speed on the making of games - but how hard would it be to use the graphics from something like PES 2017, and just stick the FM engine behind it? I'm commentary only, so don't care for graphics - but I seems strange that FM uses such crappy 3D modelling.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    This "dynamics" thing is the feature wullie mentioned about the player cliques as far as I underrstand.

Match engine still needs quite a bit of work. It's ridiculous how dominant crosses have been for quite some time now. Goalkeepers in particular need a lot of fixing.
    My full backs are one of my most important positions attacking wise, so much so that I haven't needed to use wingers or inside forwards. I did experiment with them but had mixed success really.

As it happens my current tactic doesn't really require much crossing like my old one did. It's very narrow and focuses on lots of men together compact in the middle. Even the full backs come narrow.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    My full backs are one of my most important positions attacking wise, so much so that I haven't needed to use wingers or inside forwards. I did experiment with them but had mixed success really.

As it happens my current tactic doesn't really require much crossing like my old one did. It's very narrow and focuses on lots of men together compact in the middle. Even the full backs come narrow.
    There's ways to play without crosses but crosses are undoubtedly ridiculously strong and that's mostly down to the keepers. Either they don't come out to collect very easy far crosses (to the extend that the ball goes straight above the keeper and he doesn't bother or it's a near cross and the goalkeeper gets defeated at his near post. That being in stark contrast with how powerful goalkeepers are at 1-on-1 situations.

And to add to that you have the whole direct free kick/penalty shenanigans this version. Direct free kicks that go straight to the keeper yet he makes a mess of it, while at the same time they save penalties that for intents and purposes should be unsaveable (although it's often the takers that mess it up).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I'm not very up to speed on the making of games - but how hard would it be to use the graphics from something like PES 2017, and just stick the FM engine behind it? I'm commentary only, so don't care for graphics - but I seems strange that FM uses such crappy 3D modelling.
    They probably want to keep something simple to allow more machines to run it. Plus, combining better graphics with whatever's going on under the hood might be pretty CPU intensive. I'm a commentary only guy as well. Tells you the tale of the match enough. All you could really pick up from a match engine is if someone's letting their man go too often or losing out. Hell, you get plenty of feedback to decipher conclusions from match ratings and such.

There's a lot about modern FM that just feels like fluff.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scoring direct free kicks is what propelled me into the Champions League. Sigurdsson was he man. That and Charlie Taylor as my marauding full back. I've got quote a few world class players now but he's been my poty every season.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    They probably want to keep something simple to allow more machines to run it. Plus, combining better graphics with whatever's going on under the hood might be pretty CPU intensive. I'm a commentary only guy as well. Tells you the tale of the match enough. All you could really pick up from a match engine is if someone's letting their man go too often or losing out. Hell, you get plenty of feedback to decipher conclusions from match ratings and such.

There's a lot about modern FM that just feels like fluff.
    I've always been a commentary only person, but as I say I've really liked watching the 2d pitch this time around.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scoring direct free kicks is what propelled me into the Champions League. Sigurdsson was he man. That and Charlie Taylor as my marauding full back. I've got quote a few world class players now but he's been my poty every season.
    I've had mediocre free kick takers (with like 10-12) get 7-8 goals a season from direct free kicks. At the same time, I've had competent penalty takers (15-16) miss about 30-40% of their penalties. It's pretty silly.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing I've noticed, and this is largely due to my tactics, but my ball winning midfielder, Havard Nordtvelt scores a lot of long range shots, despite only being something like 11. Other players I've played in that position don't do It, despite similar stats.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing I've noticed, and this is largely due to my tactics, but my ball winning midfielder, Havard Nordtvelt scores a lot of long range shots, despite only being something like 11. Other players I've played in that position don't do It, despite similar stats.
    Does he maybe have a preferred move to attempt them? On that note, I hate how they've essentially hidden the preferred moves (or am I just dumb and can't see them, apart from the recommended move thingy?).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Someone else? They're the only ones who've ever actually done it.
    What? There used to be loads of different management games around.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Championship Manager went on for a year or two after the split off with FM. It was steaming though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm talking about before that. Like way back in the day, there used to be stuff like LMA, Player Manager, Premier Manager, FIFA Manager etc. I mean, it was probably a lot cheaper to produce games back in those days as there wasn't as much you could put in but given FM has basically had a monopoly now for quite a few years and seems to get a load of criticism, I'm surprised someone else hasn't had a go.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tracksuit Manager

There's loads of mobile ones still but they're all in-app purchase driven shite.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone trying to make a rival game now would be hobbled by the expectation of scope. You could probably put together a Premier League only game easily enough, but who's buying it when the big name in the genre has that plus a million other leagues? To make a game close to as big you'd need to either spend a billion quid putting a scouting network together yourself or give SI a billion quid for access to theirs. Then people will go for the name they know anyway.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the others actually worked though, say what you like and Champ/FM (and no, we aren't counting the shambling corpse of Champ Man after everyone left to make FM) but the database and simulation lasted more than five seasons without falling over. Premier Manager ran out of players, USM 'suffered' from tremendous inflation making it impossible to buy anyone. Champ/FM is the only game to be more than a few simple mechanics with some football painted over the top, it's a legitimate strategy game at this point with a reasonable following amongst people who aren't interested in football in the slightest. Nothing else has ever really done it in the same way.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're doing their best to ruin it though in an effort to bring in the FIFA LAD crowd with all this clique bollocks though. They won't have the attention span for it anyway but unfortunately they can afford to mess about like this because there's zero competition.