Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA College Sports

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NCAA College Sports

Decided to make this generic sports.

Anyone watching the return of college football today? Currently watching the Houston v Oklahoma football game which is a nice even game with some decent players.

The Houston qb doesn't look like he's got much future in the NFL, doesn't seem to have very good receivers either.

Baker mayfield looks quite tidy though. Will be good to see what happens with him this season.

College GAMEDAY returning.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping an eye on DeShaun Watson this season. He threw 4,000 yards last season and rushed for over 1000 too. He's the mobile QB type that everyone seems to want to be a success these days and I'd expect him to be the top picked QB in his draft class if he carries on like that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute belter of a catch in the Houston game.

Is Watson eligible this year? It's an interesting point though, which NFL teams are really missing a qb now? The Browns? Houston maybe if osweiller plants? Dallas is dak doesn't shine? The jets? Most of the shite teams have picked up qbs in the first round the last few years.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bills and Jets will be looking next draft. Tyrod Taylor is due shedloads of money if he's kept on after this season and Fitzpatrick is probably moving on after all his bitching only got him 1 more year this time around.

The Browns and Broncos may be looking, that depends how RG3 and Lynch pan out. The Chiefs might branch out to a QB a little more expansive than Smith. The Rams and the 49ers could find themselves looking next year too if Goff has been as bad as is reported.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    College sports are generally shit, but Utah vs BYU (the Holy War) is brilliant, and it's being played here on Saturday. Friend and I will probably try to sneak into the stadium during the fourth quarter as we often do.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd imagine it is if you're from Utah, but in the grand scheme of college football it's not even a blip.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    College sports are generally shit, but Utah vs BYU (the Holy War) is brilliant, and it's being played here on Saturday. Friend and I will probably try to sneak into the stadium during the fourth quarter as we often do.
    Zip it, nerd.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I'd imagine it is if you're from Utah, but in the grand scheme of college football it's not even a blip.
    Oh no!

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ending to the Central Michigan - Oklahoma State game.

American football is so good, doesn't matter if you're winning the game for the majority if you fuck up the last few players.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to one half of one football game in 3 years of college. And we're good too.

Tailgates though

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat BYU because they tried a two-point conversion down 20-19 at the end of the fourth. Suck it Mormons.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The defending

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    That ending to the Central Michigan - Oklahoma State game.

American football is so good, doesn't matter if you're winning the game for the majority if you fuck up the last few players.
    That was quality. You don't always get the last minute drama in it, but when you do it's amazing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should've been using this I think rather than the NFL thread.

Heismann announcement tonight and very likely to baker mayfield. Shite selection of games today though, army v navy being the only one of interest.

As an aside, anyone pay attention to college basketball?

A kid in my cousins high school who he played with Is apparently the number one recruit out of Texas, something like number 11 overall and heading to Kansas to play. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up the NBA based on what my aunt and cousin were telling me.

https://scout.com/college/basketball...nsas-110547775

That would be really fucking cool to see.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    College sports is probably the biggest racket there is.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every sport is a racket these days. That's just something that you have to move past if you want to watch.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    College sports is probably the biggest racket there is.
    Great contribution as always chief.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every sport is a racket these days. That's just something that you have to move past if you want to watch.
    Not to the same extent as this. They make an obscene amount of money off the back of people who aren't paid and then, because it's supposed to be a non profit venture, they build an absurd new stadium or training facility every two years. It's a racket the mob would be proud of.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only look at NCAA football but very few that I can recall at all have built new stadiums.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New stands then. The fifteen biggest Helmetball stadiums in the country belong to colleges. That should tell its own story.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    New stands then. The fifteen biggest Helmetball stadiums in the country belong to colleges. That should tell its own story.
    They've been enormous for decades.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't realise this thread existed

Baker's surely going to win, but then I don't know if many people expected Jackson to be in there again so maybe he'll shock everyone. Bryce Love has been great too, but not Heisman great. Bowl games start next weekend, right? Might give Army/Navy a look, but probably not.

I really like the RB class this year. There are probably ten guys who could come in & play in the NFL straight away.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just checked a random sampling and the lowest number of renovations and expansions I can find since 2010 is three.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Didn't realise this thread existed
    Neither did I, or I'd have made my point last year when the total capacity of the stadiums would have been 150,000 lower.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stadiums are absolutely huge, but as Giggles says they've been that way for a long time. They might have done minor expansions or modernisation to some, but who wouldn't if they've been there since the 50s or 60s and theres loads of colleges with a strong alumni affiliation philosophy that means shit loads of people want to go and see their team.

There's a really good book you would like John called 'The System' which basically points out all the issues with NCAA football. One of the major 'new' stadiums to have been redeveloped in recent history T Boone Pickens stadium for Oklahoma State. Basically the university reached out to this really, really wealthy fucker and convinced him that it would be exciting to build a big fuck off training facility, modernise the stadium etc. and it could be his little project. That in turn would allow them to attract more recruits and eventually work towards contending for a national title. That's documented pretty well in the book.

Every school has them though and that's how the fund stuff. Find a rich fuck who likes competition and convince him to pay.

I stumbled into Texas Memorial stadium (University of Texas stadium) in Austin and went to see Kyle Field in College Station (there's absolutely fuck all else there, bar the university). Both are just enormous.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep this army navy game is total shit.

Snow weather and there's basically a rinse and repeat of "just run it straight at them".

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mayfield won the Heisman by a thousand votes from Bryce Love in the end. He'll probably end up going first round just because of the hype & how many teams need a QB, but I'm not sure he's quite ready to start immediately. Get him in & pick up Alex Smith to guide him & start for a year or two & that should sort someone out nicely.

Same goes for Jackson really, but I could imagine him going somewhere like the Jets & transforming their offence. Not sure about Bryce Love - he'll probably end up being a day two guy that could make an impact if he goes to the right spot, but he's the fifth best RB in the class at best.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, he'll never make it in the NFL.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will he not plummet because of the conventional 'wisdom' that you can't throw passes in the NFL if you're 6 foot?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should probably be a 2/3 guy, but the hype will probably push him up if he doesn't fuck himself in the interviews etc. Lamar Jackson & Josh Allen are two more who should go on day two, but could end up going top ten if someone loves their physical traits enough.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This years draft is going to be fucking brilliant because there's so many QBs who could be first rounders in anyones eyes and a guessing game of who likes who.

I'm not quite sure why Bryce Love got so much love in the Heisman, your man Saquan Barkley at Penn State basically romped Penn State to relevance nigh on single handedly. Stanford have been good for a few years and Bryce is just the next man up after Christian McCaffrey absolute lit it up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There any elite WRs that I can get excited about and then watch the Ravens pass on all of them/have them selected just before our picks?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but then everyone realised Penn State is a one man team & just put four guys on Saquon for the second half of the year, and he's not the type of back who's going to power through tackles & make hard yards with people hanging off him. There were quite a few times I saw where he'd see a guy coming, try to spin out & create something then get buried by three other guys after losing an extra five yards.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but then everyone realised Penn State is a one man team & just put four guys on Saquon for the second half of the year, and he's not the type of back who's going to power through tackles & make hard yards with people hanging off him. There were quite a few times I saw where he'd see a guy coming, try to spin out & create something then get buried by three other guys after losing an extra five yards.
    Barry Sanders then.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    There any elite WRs that I can get excited about and then watch the Ravens pass on all of them/have them selected just before our picks?
    Calvin Ridley at Alabama is pretty good, and given how much Ozzie loves 'bama guys he'll probably get snapped up if he falls to you. Christian Kirk at Texas A&M is another one who's got a decent bit of hype during his time at college, and he's got speed for days. Courtland Sutton, Equanimeous St Brown (yes, that's his actual name), and Simmie Cobbs Jr are the other main guys I can think of that will most likely go in the first two rounds, but then in the middle of the draft you've got guys like James Washington from Oklahoma State who's like a slower, bulkier Michael Thomas, and Anthony Miller from Memphis who's got a bit of Antonio Brown about him.

I've not really watched much of the WR class though, so I'm not as sure on them as I am the RBs.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Sanders then.
    If Barry Sanders was 230lbs & could lift a small car, then yeah. It's staggering that a guy as strong & explosive as Saquon just can't plough through people when someone like Ronald Jones is apparently 195lbs but destroys people up the middle.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you guys watch so much of this shit? We'll ignore the basic fact that it's a bad sport and move onto the fact that every game lasts 3 years.

I'm bored of football after 2 matches.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calvin Ridley at Alabama is pretty good, and given how much Ozzie loves 'bama guys he'll probably get snapped up if he falls to you. Christian Kirk at Texas A&M is another one who's got a decent bit of hype during his time at college, and he's got speed for days. Courtland Sutton, Equanimeous St Brown (yes, that's his actual name), and Simmie Cobbs Jr are the other main guys I can think of that will most likely go in the first two rounds, but then in the middle of the draft you've got guys like James Washington from Oklahoma State who's like a slower, bulkier Michael Thomas, and Anthony Miller from Memphis who's got a bit of Antonio Brown about him.

I've not really watched much of the WR class though, so I'm not as sure on them as I am the RBs.
    I'm on Equanimeous St Brown train.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A WWE thread exists and you come this one to tell people they're watching shit?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moaning about the length too.

Cricket thread, lad.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I legitimately find American Football just as exciting/good to watch, if not more, as the English variant these days.

College Football is like when everyone decides they want to score playing 5 a side. The score goes mental because the defence just isn't there. It's great.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Length is the worst reason not to like a sport. If you want games to finish quickly then you don't really like it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A WWE thread exists and you come this one to tell people they're watching shit?
    Moaning about the length too.

Cricket thread, lad.
    Two awful things that I don't understand either.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I legitimately find American Football just as exciting/good to watch, if not more, as the English variant these days.

College Football is like when everyone decides they want to score playing 5 a side. The score goes mental because the defence just isn't there. It's great.
    I definitely prefer it to (English) football these days.

Not that keen on the college game though.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer college because it's a better spectacle and every offense and defense isn't the exact same as every other team. Though the latter one is changing more and more as more college teams just go to the NFL style stuff.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely prefer american football to 'soccer' these days. I think that's partly down to the 'possession is key' aspect football has adopted. See Arsenal today, passing the ball around for fun against Southampton without actually looking dangerous.

The college game is great though because you get some legitimate superstars up against guys who just aren't in the same league. It's quite exciting when you watch someone like Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, Leonard Fournette or Todd Gurley just torch people.

The college game seems to be more open to taking risks too so it's a better spectacle in that sense. The triple option teams like Navy, Army and Georgia Tech are boring as fuck though.

The atmosphere sounds great too. I watched this earlier this year and it just gives goosebumps imaging what it'd be like being an amateur athlete / student walking out into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwedgEH3gs

Just. Incredible.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Oh no!
    Make him suck your tit, Giggs.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely prefer it to (English) football these days.

Not that keen on the college game though.
    I've only really got into college football this year after about three years of trying to like it. It's shit when you get teams like Alabama smashing small schools 70-3 a few times a year but when you get two actually good teams it's pretty good. Finding somewhere online that does condensed videos has helped too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sheer amount of games (and teams) put me off massively when I last tried.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sheer amount of games (and teams) put me off massively when I last tried.
    You can basically ignore the majority of them and pay attention to the POWER FIVE conference teams. Even within them there's a load of teams that just aren't much good at the moment.

It flips heavily from season to season though based on recruiting and coaches. There's been some big moves the last month or so.

Jimbo Fisher leaving Florida State for Texas A&M. (Money)
    Scott Frost leaving (12-0) UCF for hopeless Nebraska (Alma Mater, bypassing a potential bigger job in doing so).
    Chip Kelly turning down Florida to go to UCLA (presumably because of his history in the PAC 12).

College gameday 2-5pm on a saturday on BT Sport through the season is a really good preview/roundup of college football news. It's the best part of my week during college football season.

Yep, I've got a shit life. I know that.