Who even cares at this point?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Who even cares at this point?
    Sorry for interrupting the 'pickem' thread with some relevant NFL news.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's flip-flopped so many times at this point that it's lost all validity. It's basically the Big Show of disciplinary news stories.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game of the Week: Vikings v Redskins. Over/under 42.5pts.

Seahawks v Cardinals
    Lions v Browns
    Packers v Bears
    Texans v Rams
    Saints v Bills
    Patriots v Broncos
    Giants v 49ers
    Dolphins v Panthers
    Steelers v Colts
    Cowboys v Falcons
    Chargers v Jaguars
    Jets v Bucs
    Bengals v Titans

#1 QB: Tom Terrific
    #1 RB: Bell
    #1 WR: Antonio Brown (I wanted to pick someone outlandish like Robby Anderson but the matchup is golden for Lego hair)
    #1 TE: Gronk
    #1 DST: Rams

Devonta Freeman will score: 14 points.

Picking between the Giants and Niners is like trying to answer would you rather be deaf or blind.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You backing the Jets against Tampa is proper flithy.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tampa have Ryan Fitzpatrick under centre and no Mike Evans. I'd be having some on the Jets too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a muddled backfield too.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing the same

Game of the Week: Vikings v Redskins. Over/under 42.5pts. This was about the most appealing game I could find without using Dallas again, which sums up how bad the schedule for this week is. Anyways, Minnesota to shut down the Redskins & win something like 24-16.

Seahawks v Cardinals - Wilson v Stanton at QB. Yeah...
    Lions v Browns - You know the drill, bet against anyone playing Cleveland. Lions are legit good though, so this could get ugly fast.
    Packers v Bears - Please don't make me watch this. Jordan Howard to dominate this one & the Bears DST should make some plays too.
    Texans v Rams - This one would've been GotW if Watson was still healthy Texans are bad, Rams are good.
    Saints v Bills - Gotta stick with my team, but someone's gonna take Lattimore & co. down soon, so don't rule out an upset here
    Patriots v Broncos - Broncos can't even rely on their defence to save them. They're fucked.
    Giants v 49ers - This could be nearly as depressing to watch as Chicago/GB. Eli to give us false hope again.
    Dolphins v Panthers - Carolina are the best shit team in the league.
    Steelers v Colts - Who gets stomped more, Indy or the Browns? It might actually be Indy.
    Cowboys v Falcons - I don't even care that Zeke's out. He'll probably have three more appeals by Sunday anyway...
    Chargers v Jaguars - All the things the Jags do well are all the things the Chargers are weak at. Lots of pick & Fournette TDs here.
    Jets v Bucs - Remember when we thought the Jets would go 0-16 & Tampa would walk the NFC South?
    Bengals v Titans - AJ Green game, innit?

#1 QB: Matt Stafford - They can't run, but they sure can pass. Did I mention they're playing the Browns?
    #1 RB: Fournette - Chargers are garbage against the run, and that's all the Jags do.
    #1 WR: Sammy Watkins - Yeah, that's right. I'm fucking crazy, me.
    #1 TE: Gronk - Denver are bad against TEs, and he's the best one. That's bad news.
    #1 DST: Jacksonville - Gotta go with them at last. They could have a field day with Rivers.

Devonta Freeman will score: 9pts - Coming off injury, splitting with Coleman, playing Dallas who just blanked Kareem. Not a good situation, but maybe he sneaks a goal-line TD. I'll hedge my bets again.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patriots have claimed Marty B off of waivers Guess he'll get another ring before he retires after all.

More news from the circus too - Zeke's next hearing is set for 1st December, so he'll probably end up having served his full suspension before he even gets it ruled on. Utter fucking shambles.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lads, any good websites to read about the NFL/good podcasts? Especially for someone like me who still isn't really sure what's going on?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't be bothered to do the whole lot tonight so I'll just do tonight's game and then do the rest tomorrow or something....

Seahawks.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stunned @Pleb needs to get his pick in quickly, even if just for that one game, otherwise it won't get included in the scoring.

@igor_balis Around the NFL is usually an entertaining podcast, and there are places like MMQB online that have good articles & interviews. They also do a few podcasts too, I believe - just downloaded some of the Peter King ones to listen to, as well as a couple of Know Them From Adam. I'd also recommend Brett Kollmann's Film Room stuff on YouTube, as it's easily the best analysis I've seen.

Not sure in terms of good places to get a basic understanding, but the BBC NFL show is probably worth a look. There are plenty of NFL 101 guides out there that explain things like route concepts & formations too.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stunned @Pleb needs to get his pick in quickly, even if just for that one game, otherwise it won't get included in the scoring.
    GAME OF THE WEEK: Vikings v Redskins. Over/under 42.5pts - After the shitfest that was Seahawks-Redskins last week, we can only assume that Kirk Cousins will be on one. That being said Adam Thielen is shit hot and Stefon Diggs is probably going to have the game of his life if he can overcome a visit from the tooth fairy (Yes that's a legitimate questionable tag injury from yours truly Yahoo!). I would go Redskins but my head is saying Viking because why the fuck not.

(Thursday Night) Seahawks v Cardinals - Let this be a lesson Seahawks, you had a bad day last week and your facing an inconsistent Cardinal team with an apparent rampant AP in the lineup...if he turns up. Your in a shit NFC West division and on the verge of making the playoffs as a wildcard entry if you win the division. Do me a favour. Start winning and consistently.
    Lions v Browns - Your facing the Browns. Enough said.
    Packers v Bears - Well shit Packers, Huntley is throwing wild blind picks. The Bears however are more than likely to run at your defence than passing it probably. Hide behind the sofa.
    Texans v Rams - Oh boy I reckon this one will be garbage. Expect fireworks.
    Saints v Bills - Dan's lot are on a bit of a roll here. Oh wait there facing the Bills...coin toss...yep still backing Dan's lot.
    Giants v 49ers - Garbage. Next.
    Steelers v Colts - Another garbage matchup but your facing Big Ben so that softens the blow somewhat. Still...another garbage matchup. Pray for a blowout.
    Cowboys v Falcons - Will Ezekiel Elliott be suspended this week? Will Ezekiel Elliot play this week? Will the Falcons hold a solid lead for the first time in a few weeks...or months? Will the Falcons make the Super Bowl only to shit the bed at the fourth quarter? Who will win this tasty matchup? Who knows. Potential game of the week there which will probably mean that the kickers are going to have a bad day in this match. Oh yeah guess I need to pick this game then...uh...Cowboys...sure them.
    Chargers v Jaguars - Ouch. Garbage. Next.
    Jets v Bucs - The quest for an unexpected AFC wildcard spot continues. I feel proper dirty backing them to be frank but we are playing the Bucs who can't kick for shit according to Hard Knocks.
    Bengals v Titans - The Titans are in a bit of a tight spot in their AFC South division so getting a timely win may help them out a bit...a bit. It's basically a shootout between them and the Jags for winning the division isn't it?
    (Sunday Night) Patriots v Broncos - This is a Sunday Night game? Jesus Christ expect this to be a blowout.
    (Monday Night) Dolphins v Panthers - Will Cam Newton have a decent game of football for once? I highly doubt it but it's always fucking funny to see the Dolphins shit their way to another loss.

#1 QB: Josh McCown - Proper dirty pick this. Someone hold my beer.
    #1 RB: Jordon Howard - I don't think the Packers defence will cope with him personally.
    #1 WR: Marqise Lee - Insurance policy. Worth a gamble at this point plus he's pretty good in fantasy.
    #1 TE: Jimmy Graham - Praying that Thursday Nights will be kind to me.
    #1 DST: New York Jets - Yep...feeling proper dirty now.

Devonta Freeman will score: I'm no good at this so...10 points

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy Madden and just play it. That's how I learnt.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to mention Kollmann. I came across his channel a few weeks ago.

Also +1 for Madden. That's where I got my knowledge too. And that's from a 2 week pickem winner.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picks and writeups updated.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Lads, any good websites to read about the NFL/good podcasts? Especially for someone like me who still isn't really sure what's going on?
    +1 for MMQB. King hinself isn't to everybody's taste but there are a few really good writers on there and some of them specifically to go into the workings of the game.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the MMQB (though it just seems to be the front page of Sports Illustrateds NFL now) but don't like their podcasts at all. There's very few NFL podcasts I listen to, though I try catch Mike Williamsons one as I liked him on the old Ross Tucker show and Andrew Brandts new one is decent also. CBS cancelled the one I always downloaded.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back to 'Zeke, I would just accept the suspension now.

5-3 right now and he'd miss Falcons (A), Eagles (H), Chargers (H), Redskins (H), Giants (A) and Raiders (A).

Chargers and Giants should be bankers regardless and they should be able to beat the Falcons. I'd say at worst they should be looking at being 8-6 with Seahawks (H) and Eagles (A) to end the season. They're not going to catch the Eagles to win the division so it's all about the wildcard spots which is achievable.

If they keep going he could miss a playoff game or two which would be fucking massive.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the early schedule they had it was dumb as fuck not to take it in week 1.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised the NFLPA are wasting their breath over this.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    With the early schedule they had it was dumb as fuck not to take it in week 1.
    They were 3-3 with their early schedule.

Fuck knows how they got battered 42-17 by the Broncos with Trevor fucking Siemian passing for 4 TDs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inside the huddle is just an extension of the sky coverage so a good podcast if you watch nfl on sky

The Dave damashek podcast is an acquired taste, rarely about the actual football but I find it fun. Most people will really hate it though

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could easily have picked the same as Dan on everything, but chucked in a few differences to make it entertaining:

Game of the Week: Vikings v Redskins. Over/under 42.5pts.

The Vikings have looked good of late and the Redskins have looked poor so got to take the VIKINGS for the win. The over/under is more difficult after the shit fest the Redskins served up last week and with both defenses being good... err.... I'll go under, but I don't like it.

Seahawks v Cardinals - Already picked SEAHAWKS earlier which is bound to win me this contest because no one else would have seen that coming.
    Lions v Browns - I wonder who will win this. LIONS maybe? Just a hunch.
    Packers v Bears - This one is tougher because neither team can throw the ball and both are alright on defense. Packers look lost without Rodgers though so let's go BEARS.
    Texans v Rams - At this point I'm always picking the RAMS.
    Saints v Bills - So far I've matched Dan with every pick so let's mix it up. That and the Bills were shite when I needed them in fantasy so they are nailed on to bounce back big here. BILLS.
    Patriots v Broncos - The Pats defense is shit.... the Broncos offense is even worse. PATRIOTS to win.
    Giants v 49ers - Can't see the Niners digging a win out from anywhere at the moment. GIANTS.
    Dolphins v Panthers - I really don't want to pick the Panthers ever. That said... it's the fucking Dolphins. PANTHERS to win.
    Steelers v Colts - STEELERS. No doubt.
    Cowboys v Falcons- Meh, I'll back them to get it together. FALCONS.
    Chargers v Jaguars - Like the Rams, I have to side with my UK teams. JAGUARS.
    Jets v Bucs - Potentially the toughest match up on the slate. Fitzmagic is a fantasy God though. BUCS.
    Bengals v Titans - Yea... AJ Green is going to be running wild. BENGALS.

#1 QB: I would normally pick Stafford but fuck it, let's be loyal. Jared Goff.
    #1 RB: Why change the habit of a lifetime. Shit match up but GURLEY.
    #1 WR: No shocker here.... Brown to win it.
    #1 TE: Give me Engram in that shit fest.
    #1 DST: Sacksonville, as per always.

Devonta Freeman will score: 6 points.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Georgia getting stomped by Auburn here, by the look of it. I'll be interested to rewatch this one, but it sounds like they've been completely outplayed on both sides of the ball. Guess we'll be back to normality with Alabama on top of the CFB rankings then. Looks like Oklahoma State had another shootout too.

In NFL news, Drew Stanton tweaked his knee on Thursday night, so it might be time for the Blaine Train

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can never understand college football.

How the hell do they work the playoffs?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they just take the teams with the best records, put their names on bowls of dog food & pick the first three that the dog goes to, then chuck them in with Alabama.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fall in love with Allie LaForce every weekend. She's just so lovely.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Georgia getting stomped by Auburn here, by the look of it. I'll be interested to rewatch this one, but it sounds like they've been completely outplayed on both sides of the ball. Guess we'll be back to normality with Alabama on top of the CFB rankings then. Looks like Oklahoma State had another shootout too.

In NFL news, Drew Stanton tweaked his knee on Thursday night, so it might be time for the Blaine Train
    Auburn have some big boys up front which seems to work pretty well against Georgia and their Freshman QB.

Georgia have made some stupid, stupid mistakes though.

This auburn team has a chance against bama in the iron bowl, bama are pretty beat up this year and haven't really been tested yet. Florida state lost their only qb in the first half against them and have basically been a nothing team since.

Nice to see corso was bang on in the Miami game too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I've no idea how drew stanton has a job in the NFL. Watched the highlights of the game v Seattle and he hasn't seemed to mastered throwing the ball in bounds.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought much the same thing watching the Giants/Rams game back. Eli spent most of the game missing receivers by four or five yards. It’s no wonder they’re thinking of taking a look at Davis Webb before the end of the season.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have been at Twickenham. Stanton made Flacco and Cutler look like Batman and Superman. Ok maybe not but he did a good job to get in the conversation of worst UK QB against such stiff competition.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    You should have been at Twickenham. Stanton made Flacco and Cutler look like Batman and Superman. Ok maybe not but he did a good job to get in the conversation of worst UK QB against such stiff competition.
    He must have a sexual harassment case against Bruce Arians or Steve Keim just sitting there waiting to explode if he ever gets cut. There's no way he's an NFL QB. Arizona can't not take a QB in the first round this year. They've been shit enough that they'll be high enough to have at least a shot at one of the good ones coming up.

Could easily be 3 or 4 first round QBs this year.

Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Browning, Mason Rudolph, Josh Rosen and then the outsiders Grieg, Finley, Mayfield etc.

Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph are pretty stereotypical pros whilst Lamar Jackson is probably loving the effort Deshaun Watson put in at Houston.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darnold might be the best of the lot if he comes out. Watched a bit of Josh Allen earlier & it's easy to see why people fucking love him even though he's been in an awful team this year - there's a bit of Wentz & Rodgers about him. Rosen's the other one who'll probably go top ten, then Rudolph & Mayfield are 1/2 guys. Not seen much of Lamar Jackson, but he'll probably be around the same as the Oklahoma guys, then the rest will probably be mid-round developmental guys.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darnold might be the best of the lot if he comes out. Watched a bit of Josh Allen earlier & it's easy to see why people fucking love him even though he's been in an awful team this year - there's a bit of Wentz & Rodgers about him. Rosen's the other one who'll probably go top ten, then Rudolph & Mayfield are 1/2 guys. Not seen much of Lamar Jackson, but he'll probably be around the same as the Oklahoma guys, then the rest will probably be mid-round developmental guys.
    Lamar Jackson is akin to a Deshaun Watson - he's carried Louisville a lot since joining them. Distinctly remember seeing him in his very first game, very first throw throwing a hideous ball down the sideline in desperation which was picked off, rather than just throwing it away.

Darnold isn't eligible to come out, he's only a Sophomore, he can only come out next year... which makes it a bit more interesting.

Even some of the middling teams might fancy a QB now... Minnesota if Teddy is gubbed for good, Pittsburg if Big Ben fancies walking away, Cincinnati if they've had enough of Dalton (doubt it) and can use AJ McCarron as leverage, NY Giants, Jets, Browns, Arizona, Washington if they can't sort Cousins, 49ers if they decide Garapollo isn't the man, Bills, Jags, Broncos, Miami...

About half the NFL could be in the market for a new QB.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's definitely eligible, they've been talking about him as the potential #1 pick for months, it's just a question of whether he'll stay if he doesn't finish strong of if he really wants to not get picked by Cleveland

Jackson will probably end up going R1 as everyone needs a QB, but I can't imagine him being the same sort of player that Watson's been. I just think he'll end up being a better Tyrod, which is probably enough to be a long term starter at this point. Will have to watch a few games & see how he shakes out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Niners/Giants are probably due a QB.

I would say Jets as well but we'll probably waste our first/second round pick on a random safety or a rookie tight end.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I'm totally wrong, I was thinking of the 2017 draft. Fuck me, there's a lot of qbs eligible. Might end up being a bit of chicken between them. If they're not being talked about as a top 15 pick you could see one of the big ones opt to bet on themselves the following year.

Difference between being number 1 and number 12 or 13 is about $10million, if you drop out the first round it's a mare. Kalil Mack is a Good example of it going well, Matt Barkley an example of it going terribly. Interesting that the niners now have garapollo because you can bet the two California qb kids fancied they're chances of being 1/2 picks there. Rivers is the same era as Eli and Big Ben though, so if he's not enjoying LA then Rosen/darnold could work there I suppose, if they feel to the chargers.

Cleveland will probably go completely left field and take josh Allen.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleveland taking any QB with their first pick would be completely left field. They need to pass on 2 or 3 at least, who go on to become world beaters and then take some guy who can't actually pass.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then wait for trade deadline day and get an agreement to trade for a new QB in place minutes before it closes, only to forget to submit it due to celebrating the deal.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Then wait for trade deadline day and get an agreement to trade for a new QB in place minutes before it closes, only to forget to submit it due to celebrating the deal.
    I still think the Browns owner panned the deal, rather than not phoning it in.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I still think the Browns owner panned the deal, rather than not phoning it in.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone for a Jags, Lions, Panthers, Rams, Steelers five fold (no upsets please) and a 49ers+2.5, Saints -2.5 and Jets treble.

Hoping Garapollo plays, if he doesn't I'm fucked. CJ Beathard isn't ready to be an NFL QB. Also think the bucs will realise Fitz > Winston for 'win now' but hoping the Jets take it in a close one.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game Pass is so fucking shit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's it doing now? It's an absolute mess this year.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    What's it doing now? It's an absolute mess this year.
    It won't cast and I'll be fucked if I'm watching it on a 5 inch screen.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit Game Pass really needs to sort itself out.

I lost feed for the Jets games there for a second.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could have at least fixed it before they started handing out partial refunds.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to get it this season (I did get 2 or 3 trials to watch preseason games) but no Amazon Fire or PS4 app made it too shit.