User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bank Holiday Weekend Football (Sponsored By The Sunday Pissup)

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Kiko has a point. We didn't create anything. I think all people are saying is that we would have were Vardy playing. When we're in ultra sitting back mode he's who we look to to stretch teams and it works; his pace, pressing and movement creates chances. There's no reason that wouldn't have been the case today given that it's worked well against better sides than United. As it is, he wasn't playing, neither side created much and 1-1 was about right.

Also, we've SAVED FOOTBALL so nobody is allowed to be horrible to us.
    Oh my actual...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more being a reasonable human being upsets you the more I'm going to make a point of doing it, you fucking pervert.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just shows there wasn't much between the two teams and really we have both won the moral league.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to watch a guy sounding his urethra with a huge earth worm to make myself feel better.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a nice way to spend your evening. I hope you enjoy it, You, of all people on TTH, deserve the right to make yourself happy.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did I click on that?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bit grim. I shall be sharing that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    Just shave it ffs.
    Or have a Hair Transplant

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not well clearly.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's clearly partaken in a bit of sex masochism over the years.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course he fucking has, he's Dutch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It's a given at this stage isn't it?
    I mean, if Spurs beat Chelsea, I'd fancy them to win out the season.

That means that Leicester will need two points somewhere, and while I'd back them to get it again Everton, if they come unstuck there and need to go to Stamford Bridge and get a point (or even three), then it's back up for grabs.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I mean, if Spurs beat Chelsea, I'd fancy them to win out the season.

That means that Leicester will need two points somewhere, and while I'd back them to get it again Everton, if they come unstuck there and need to go to Stamford Bridge and get a point (or even three), then it's back up for grabs.
    Chelsea will lie down in the last game so there's 3 points for Leicester regardless.

The ideal scenario is Spurs win tonight and then Leicester win at home to Everton, which will remove any small bit of relevance that Chelsea are still clinging to.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [gifv]g6V5TMx[/gifv]

Missed this

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vardy has won the Football Writers' Player of the Year Award. What a season.

'Mon Chelsea.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Leicester are going to seal it while not even playing, but I guess one can't have everything.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir Henry made an impassioned case for Kanté to win said award - on the basis that one of the criteria is 'upholding the xxx blah blah spirit of the game', which Vardy hasn't - and it was hard to argue, really.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's a shame Leicester are going to seal it while not even playing, but I guess one can't have everything.
    I'm not sure it will happen. If I had to predict anything I'd go for a draw but that's just hope. Spurs are better than Chelsea. If it's done tonight Saturday will be brilliant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Sir Henry made an impassioned case for Kanté to win said award - on the basis that one of the criteria is 'upholding the xxx blah blah spirit of the game', which Vardy hasn't - and it was hard to argue, really.
    Kante is the player I'm most fearful of losing and the one I think we're most likely to lose. We can adapt our style of play to cover a Vardy or a Mahrez absence. Without Kante the team would be a completely different animal.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Makes it even better. Can catch the dissapointed Yid faces live on TV.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure it will happen. If I had to predict anything I'd go for a draw but that's just hope. Spurs are better than Chelsea. If it's done tonight Saturday will be brilliant anyway.

Kante is the player I'm most fearful of losing and the one I think we're most likely to lose. We can adapt our style of play to cover a Vardy or a Mahrez absence. Without Kante the team would be a completely different animal.
    Apparently Wanyama is one of your targets. Decent option but completely different to Kante. You'd probably end up spending most the money you get for Kante on him as well, best off looking somewhere other than England for any replacement.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Makes it even better. Can catch the dissapointed Yid faces live on TV.
    I doubt there's a Spurs fan about that doesn't know this is over. Maybe if Kane does a ligament or something you might see it though

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you hate the club you supposedly support?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 'fearful' loosely, of course. I want to see us have a decent crack at getting out of our Champions' League group or, failing that, a good run in the Europa League after Christmas. I really couldn't give a shit what happens in the league.

Once this is sealed what more is there for a club like Leicester? I'd love to see an FA Cup win before I'm dead, I suppose. I'll probably start yearning for Barnsley away and Millwall at home under the floodlights soon enough though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, Leicester's seen a fair bit of success in the last couple of decades. For Newcastle I'd take a League Cup and be thankful. Bollocks to league success. We tried, we failed. We'll never get that close again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    To be fair, Leicester's seen a fair bit of success in the last couple of decades. For Newcastle I'd take a League Cup and be thankful. Bollocks to league success. We tried, we failed. We'll never get that close again.
    1992 until 2003 was pretty good. But the five or six years before Pearson came in the first time were easily the worst in the history of the club.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your question, I grew up (as a child/young teenager) thinking our 1997 FA Cup and 1998 Cup Winners' Cup wins were as good as it would get, I then saw us win the league aged 17, 18, 22 (going regularly that season) and 27, and the European Cup at 24.

The only thing there is now left to see is an exciting homegrown team emerge. That is unlikely ever to happen, but now that is the only thing that stokes the dreams that for most club supporters are produced by those trophies they think (often correctly) will never come.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 'fearful' loosely, of course. I want to see us have a decent crack at getting out of our Champions' League group or, failing that, a good run in the Europa League after Christmas. I really couldn't give a shit what happens in the league.

Once this is sealed what more is there for a club like Leicester? I'd love to see an FA Cup win before I'm dead, I suppose. I'll probably start yearning for Barnsley away and Millwall at home under the floodlights soon enough though.
    Weren't you yearning for that last year?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peak was when we won the Johnstones paint trophy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you not have to get a similar player to Vardy to keep the counters going?

Europe would be the biggest thing for me. Imagine seeing your team beat Barcelona/Bayern/Real etc.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've never won a trophy in the time I've been alive, and that FA Cup Final was heartbreaking. That said,I've (hopefully) got another 50 odd years, chances are we'll win something like the League Cup, just depends on how long I have to wait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having seen us win the European Cup when we were shit, everything else feels like a "nice to have". Nothing is ever topping 2005.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90th fucking minute.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Weren't you yearning for that last year?
    I always am, really. As a fan the Championship is more fun. The whole thing is less sanitised, the teams are more interesting, and there are more matches for your money. A club our size is always aiming (even if not successfully) to go up so there's a prize. Sooner or later in this league we'll just go back to being happy with 15th. Which would be tolerable if there are some cup runs in there, but no club is prioritising that any longer.

Obviously this season is very different and if we're about to head into a decade of challenging for European spots through the league then I'll happily take it. But the ideal, from a watching the games point of view, is us being a yo yo club. That way you get your relative success in promotion and staying up, but not for long enough that it loses any meaning. I'd want that interspersed with the odd top ten top flight finish and rare cup win. Which is broadly what I'll get, as that's what we've always done.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen us finish runners up for something on five occasions. A couple of semi finals and a handful of quarters.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post

Europe would be the biggest thing for me. Imagine seeing your team beat Barcelona/Bayern/Real etc.
    Or beating Vitesse only to get spanked by FC Midgetland.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Why do you hate the club you supposedly support?
    I don't support them. Nor do I hate them really, though it is fun to lol at them. After so many years I just found it an empty experience; I don't even live in the same country and I've never been to a game. No connection.

A Kane doing would still be nice though heading into Euro 2016.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    We don't always have to be a counter attacking team though. Whereas Kante (look at his stats the last two seasons) is the best in the world at what he does. We can't replace that.

The context for us is this: We're a club who have won nothing but three League Cups. I've been lucky enough to see us win to of those and thought that was the peak. We've finished second once in our history and have lost in four FA Cup finals. The other East Midlands clubs have had more success historically. Derby won the league in the 70s. We all know what Forest did. Even fucking Coventry down the road had an FA Cup. Across a region with a lot of clubs of similar size we've been the bridesmaids. Win this and that's all gone. Europe will be a fantastic novelty. I've seen us knocked out in the first stage of the UEFA Cup twice. So just having six guaranteed games in Europe is something. The only time we've been past the first round of European competition was in the 60s. We beat Glenavon, for fuck's sake. We were then knocked out by Atletico. As we were in 1997, in shitty refereeing circumstances. I'd love us to have a crack at them next season.

Anyway, I'm having a proper football feast today. I'm watching Walsall-Fleetwood at the moment. The home side are 1-0 up which means they can still beat Burton to promotion to the Championship and Fleetwood can still be caught by Blackpool and go down to League Two. Then it's Brighton-Derby and Burnley-QPR. I just want any combination of results which makes fucking over THE MARKET LEADER more likely. Boro and Brighton up, please. Then the big one tonight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    Having seen us win the European Cup when we were shit, everything else feels like a "nice to have". Nothing is ever topping 2005.
    Surely a league title would be huge for you? Massive club like Liverpool and its never happened in your football-watching life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely a league title would be huge for you? Massive club like Liverpool and its never happened in your football-watching life.
    It would be great, but a league title builds up over a long period of the season. The European Cup felt like a complete bolt of lightning from nowhere. The run itself had a series of "holy shit" moments, and you were convinced to the last that we were going to find some way to chuck it (Gudjohnsen missing a sitter in the last minute in the second leg of the semi-final, Shevchenko doing the same). To see us actually win it was incredible, never mind the circumstances of going 3-0 down and looking straight at a potential humiliation.

It was the main reason why Rafa Benitez could have relegated the club and I wouldn't have cared. Rafa.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #somehowabout

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at that Juve game

If memory serves, Scott Carson was in goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was, and he chucked one in from Cannavaro.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about Europe is that it's the best thing if your club is consistently winning titles. I want desperately to see Juventus win the CL one day. I didn't see the win in 1996, but I've seen plenty of final losses since then.

But if we'd gone a decade without a title, the Serie A would absolutely be the priority. It's all context.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I didn't see the win in 1996, but I've seen plenty of final losses since then.
    That and them losing to a Lars Ricken inspired Dortmund are the first two CL finals I remember. I should have been a Juve fan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samadini View Post

90th fucking minute.
    BELLAMY! IT'S IN!

Some team that was.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lee you have to get to the Euro away next year. They're brilliant.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Lee you have to get to the Euro away next year. They're brilliant.
    I doubt I'll be high enough priority to get a ticket but I'll be looking at buying privately so long as I'm not ripped off. I'll travel to at least one ticketless anyway. A few of the blokes I sit with are doing the same so we'll probably do that as a group. Worst case scenario we're in a new place getting pissed watching in a bar. I can live with that.